Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

Default Re: An intelligent discussion about consciousness ....

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    I think if you can perceive the basis of consciousness you'll understand why modern society is so horrible.
    In what way is Modern society not better than every version that came before it?

We're happier, richer, we live longer, healthier, we can travel the world, instant communication with the entire planet. We're even more tolerant and less biggoted.

Maybe were not as good as an idealized utopia but we kick the shit out of any and every society in history.

NBA Superstar

Thumbs down Re: An intelligent discussion about consciousness ....

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    In what way is Modern society not better than every version that came before it?

We're happier, richer, we live longer, healthier, we can travel the world, instant communication with the entire planet. We're even more tolerant and less biggoted.

Maybe were not as good as an idealized utopia but we kick the shit out of any and every society in history.

this guy doesn't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0

this guy doesn't get it at all.
    Please explain it to me.

Banned

[Q UOTE=Breezy]In what way is Modern society not better than every version tshat came before it?

We're happier, richer, we live longer, healthier, we can travel the world, instant coammunication with the entire planet. We're even more tolerant and less b biggoted.

Maybe were not as good as an idealized utopia but we kick the shit out of any and every society in history.[/QUOTE]

The rapid and rampant overdevelopment and overpopulation of the earth, destruction of the environment, and wildlife that was abundant not even 100 years ago, specialized compartmentalized jobs that suck away our creativity, technology making personal interaction nearly obsolete---the earth is built for about 10-20 million people maximum---it's probably another decade or so before everything is ruined.

The rapid and rampant overdevelopment and overpopulation of the earth,
    You'll be happy to know that your wrong.

There is no such thing as "Overdevelopement" of the Earth. You would have to assume there is a 'correct' level of development. No such decree has been handed down from on high.

We are also not overpopulated. at 7 Billion people with the population density of Paris we would all fit into 1 urban area the size of Louisiana. If it's crowded where you live and you don't like then you should move. Plenty of empty spaces out there. Try Kansas. We are also not overpopulated from a resource consumption perspective. Commodity prices are actually down year over year since the 60's when all the environmental doom predictions started hitting us. and that is IN SPITE of a growing world population. The case is even better in countries with liberal economies and free trade.

destruction of the environment, and wildlife that was abundant not even 100 years ago,
    I'm not sure what you mean by destruction of the environment? The world is a big place. I certainly wouldn't want to go to Nuclear waste storage facilities but our forests are more abundant than they have been in hundreds of years. Places like the Sahara have been shrinking. African climate is becoming more conducive to agricultural production and human welfare. Also in spite of Global Warming fears even the IPCC Says that temperatures have risen between 0.3-0.6 degrees in the last 100 years and that if trends continue the Continental shelf ice "COULD" melt in 1000 years. Of course what they don't address is that temperatures have been flat for the last 17 years. Also 99.9% of all species that have ever lived are extinct now. Most of that took place before humans were even walking upright.

pecialized compartmentalized jobs that suck away our creativity
    As far as Jobs go would you rather work at a desk in a cubicle or be doing the subsistence farming that you would have been doing 200 years ago. Or the coal mine you would have been working in 75 years ago? Your creativity is your own responsibility it has nothing to do with your job.

I'm with you on personal interaction. we need more of it, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to all the other advantages that modern technology brings us.

the earth is built for about 10-20 million people maximum---it's probably another decade or so before everything is ruined.
    The earth was not built. There is no target number of people that are supposed to be on the earth. Aside from the empirical evidence that shows that we now have 7 billion with every measure of human development increasing. We also know that 2000 years ago we had global population of about 300 million which was steadily increasing at about .1 percent a year. So even without any kind of modern technology we had a growing population above the number you gave.

You have what Econ professor Bryan Caplan calls "Pessimistic bias". http://cafehayek.com/2014/05/bryan-c...htmlThroughout all of human history progress has been marching forward while the people were predicting destruction and apocalypse. Now is no different.

Now that you know I bet you'll be happy to discard your wildly uninformed speculative hysteria in favor of the fact s!

Also I would like to Apologize for derailing the discussion on consciousness.

NBA All-star

The rapid and rampant overdevelopment and overpopulation of the earth, destruction of the environment, and wildlife that was abundant not even 100 years ago, specialized compartmentalized jobs that suck away our creativity, technology making personal interaction nearly obsolete---the earth is built for about 10-20 million people maximum---it's probably another decade or so before everything is ruined.
    you can under estimate the capacity of the human mind. which is the main reason as to why earth isn't over developed.

or we can accept the fact that earth is over developed, and realize that even that of our offspring, should never produce any offsprings even if we egotistically assumed that we ourselves should have that right/priviledge and capability.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    Also I would like to Apologize for derailing the discussion on consciousness.
    Great. And I also think you brought up solid points.

Consciousness of our own faults is the the proof that a conscious mistake and an unconscious one, while have the same result, the intention is different.

Which is why I've also always added the importance of awareness. That is the added depth of consciousness.

Awareness involves recognizing and understanding how everything is affected/changed based upon your actions/decisions.

beyond just do it, we also raise the question as to who'll do it.

That's the continuous derailing of conscioursness under the misguided term of evolution for ya

we are only conscious to the human standard. To some other higher entity or being, our consciousness would be equivalent to being robots.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    we are only conscious to the human standard. To some other higher entity or being, our consciousness would be equivalent to robots.
    so, what's the expiration date on wisdom.

because I don't know if Irony went sour without ever being opened.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Exactly. Meditation is so key. Or yoga, but I prefer meditation because I can do it anywhere. Center yourself. Reset your brain. Transcend and reach a higher state of consciousness and your absolutely in the moment and can move forward with your life without your thoughts distracting you causing you to live in the future or the past which is depressive/anxiety inducing. You get tunnel vision on what you need to do are at a peace. Living outside of your mind in the world, versus inside of it.

No drugs/crutches in life.

I view the levels of consciousnesses as a very spiritual thing and for individuals who are aware of the significant relationship between body and mind.

I used to talk to friends and family all the time, some who are depressed, on drugs, on anti-depressants, etc all the time about meditation/higher consciousness/centering yourself and its in one ear and out the other. I don't bother anymore.

To everyone who thinks we sound like crazy hippies. Successful people are all in touch with this stuff to personally develop. It's fundamental in mastering yourself and finding happiness from a natural place i.e. the body/mind. People not in touch tend to self medicate in their adulthood.

Good thread OP. What's your thoughts?
    Every single human being has crutches in their life, and not one would be able to survive without them. Silly comment.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Every single human being has crutches in their life, and not one would be able to survive without them. Silly comment.
    http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthr...283972&page=33

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    Yes and no. Higher states of consciousness will make you realize if its working for you or against you. Its not a crutch if it's working for you, your mind/body is in control vs the other way around. If your aware that something is a crutch you'll slowly work on eliminating it. The objective is harmony of the body/mind and emotional stability. It'll allow you move forward and be successful.

I have my own vices/crutches that will take time to eliminate. Ill probably have crutches in the future as well. Its just important to understand things that hold you back. I.e. A cigarette habit actually does correlate with success in schoolwork. Thats the life journey though onwards and upwards. Its a slow gradual process, but higher states of conciousness is important for self-awareness.

If you disagree that's fine too, its my own personal philisophy and there is no right or wrong answer. I demand a lot from myself. I want to maximize my life
    Last edited by BigBoss; 06-18-2014 at 03:45 PM.

with social media and sh1t like tinder, which i use, admittedly , we are regressing in this department. There are low human interactions and even if they do interact, their conversations are dumb as hell.

great thread btw, OP. Need more stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    with social media and sh1t like tinder, which i use, admittedly , we are regressing in this department. There are low human interactions and even if they do interact, their conversations are dumb as hell.

great thread btw, OP. Need more stuff like this.
    I agree. Society is evolving. People are jacking into the Matrix more then ever.