Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Who's the GOAT if MJ didn't exist?

It's an interesting idea for a question but it is difficult to answer. A key could be who would have won the Championship in 90-91?

Let's assume the Finals is Pistons vs Lakers.

Do the Pistons three-peat?

Does Magic get number 6?

If Magic gets a 6th ring that gives him twice as many as Bird and as many as Kareem.

You also have to assume the Jazz would have won a couple of rings which adds to Malone's Legacy. No one would call him the GOAT but that might move him into the top 10 for some people.
    Last edited by Cousin Oliver; 06-22-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

MJ's existence doesn't have any effect on who the GOAT is. It's always been Wilt if you favor individual dominance, Russell if you favor an individuals effect on team dominance, or Kareem if you favor a blend of the two.

MJ has a case as the greatest guard though.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    MJ's existence doesn't have any effect on who the GOAT is. It's always been Wilt if you favor individual dominance, Russell if you favor an individuals effect on team dominance, or Kareem if you favor a blend of the two.

MJ has a case as the greatest guard though.

Great answer. What never gets talked about is what is the criteria or the measuring stick to determine GOAT? I think you have to answer by position played such as Center = Wilt, then Kareem. Power forward= Karl Malone, then Duncan. Small forward = Bird, then Elgin Baylor. Shooting guard = Jordan, then Jerry West. Point Guard = Oscar, then Magic. That's just my opinion and I throw out ring counting because it is too interrelated to team success, teammates etc. Just looking at skill set and peak play.

Default Pacers in Six

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Oliver
    You also have to assume the Jazz would have won a couple of rings which adds to Malone's Legacy. No one would call him the GOAT but that might move him into the top 10 for some people.

Are we safe assuming that the Jazz beat the Heat and the Pacers?

I'll take the Pacers I think in 1998. They played the Bulls tougher and I think they were better equipped to close games than were the Jazz. Every game in that series would likely go down to the wire. Over a series the Pacers depth would be enough to alleviate the fact that Malone typically gave them fits, but he alone was not going to carry them in the Finals. Miller is too tall for Stockton or Hornacek and putting Anderson or Russell on him for major minutes takes away from an already limited offense. Not that I can't see the Jazz beating them, but I'll take the Pacers.

College superstar

Default Re: Pacers in Six

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    G.O.A.T. is back.

I usually hit open layups

Kareem would be the GOAT. You can almost say he is now though. A player I think that would move up a lot would be Dominique Wilkins. A lot more younger players would have copied him, without Jordan stealing his shine.

I already have Kareem over Jordan.