National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

Default Anthony Davis is a hybrid of Tim Duncan and KG

This guy could be the best in the league as early as next year. He rebounds and defends at an elite level, and is a better shot blocker and more athletic than either Duncan or Garnett. Once he develops his post game a little more, he's gonna be unstoppable offensively. Guaranteed Hall of Famer if he can stay healthy. The Pelicans better surround him with a good team soon.

Default Re: Anthony Davis is a hybrid of Tim Duncan and KG

I agree

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

He has the potential to become something like that, but he isn't at this point.

Duncan is obviously in a whole other category scoring in the post. I don't think Davis will ever match him in that area, but he's shown he can be devastating just relying on his athleticism, so he can probably match or surpass Duncan's scoring numbers anyway. Both KG and Duncan are much better passers. They're also better low post defenders, and better at positioning themselves to protect the rim. Despite Davis' superior shot blocking, I'd take Duncan over him as my defensive anchor even now. He isn't close to them when they were in their prime. I do think he will get there eventually, maybe even next season, but he hasn't shown it yet.

Facts Are Misleading

He's not an elite defensive player - yet.

He's not as good as he should be on pick and roll defense and he's not very strong down low (seems like he is improving this) yet. He's unaware at times with rotations.

His blocks paint a picture of dominant defender. Reality paints a picture of someone with immense defensive potential that has to be realized.

As far as the total player, I've said from day one he's Kevin Garnett with less passing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    He's not an elite defensive player - yet.

He's not as good as he should be on pick and roll defense and he's not very strong down low (seems like he is improving this) yet. He's unaware at times with rotations.

His blocks paint a picture of dominant defender. Reality paints a picture of someone with immense defensive potential that has to be realized.

As far as the total player, I've said from day one he's Kevin Garnett with less passing ability.
    He needs to put on some weight, (and get better overall) to be a real defensive anchor. As is he's just a really good help defender.

The really good thing about him is that he's so long and athletic he can guard out to the three point line and is great at defending pick and rolls because he can switch onto a guard or wing. That's a really good trait to have in today's NBA.

Kind of worried for the Pelicans because I think they went all-in too early with that Gordon move, they should have just tanked last year, cleared some cap space, and gone in on next year. Now they're kind of locked into a core that outside of Davis isn't very good.

Think about if they'd just tanked and had a shot at Parker/Wiggins now? Or even Exum/Smart?

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    He needs to put on some weight, (and get better overall) to be a real defensive anchor. As is he's just a really good help defender.

The really good thing about him is that he's so long and athletic he can guard out to the three point line and is great at defending pick and rolls because he can switch onto a guard or wing. That's a really good trait to have in today's NBA.

Kind of worried for the Pelicans because I think they went all-in too early with that Gordon move, they should have just tanked last year, cleared some cap space, and gone in on next year. Now they're kind of locked into a core that outside of Davis isn't very good.

Think about if they'd just tanked and had a shot at Parker/Wiggins now? Or even Exum/Smart?

I still don't know what they were thinking when they traded noel + lottery pick this year for JRUE

on topic.. Anthony Davis is the next big thing ... I hope he dominates this league without having to leave new orleans

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

He needs to start winning before there can be any comparisons.

Hybrids usually suck, all-time greats specialize in one thing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar