Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Was Kobe "1b" when Shaq was with the Lakers? Or...?

I hear people calling Kobe "1b" during Shaq's 3-peat. Does the b stand for beta? One beta? And 1a stands for one alpha?

A lot of people like to go on emotions and name calling only. I like to post facts. So, without further adieu, FACTS about 1beta Kobe and how he faired once Shaq left the Lakers...

2005: Kobe's Lakers won 34 games, going 34-48, missing the playoffs
    2006: Kobe's Lakers won 45 games, going 45-37, lost in the 1st round to MVP Nash's Suns
    2007: Kobe's Lakers won 42 games, going 42-40, lost in 1st round to Nash's Suns

Summary
    Misses playoffs
    loses in 1st round
    loses in 1st round

Yep, sounds like "1b" right here...But does 1b = one beta?

What it sounds like to me is a clear cut Robin. Was Kobe's "1b" name meant to stand for one beta? Or have I cracked the code?

Kobe was touted the 1b to Shaq and "MVP" of the league, when clearly, he just wasn't...We saw what an MVP does with a not so favorable roster. They win 60+ games, they get past the 1st round, etc.

They don't miss playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round multiple times. In the beginning of his career (like MJ got bounced in the 1st round multiple times) okay that makes sense. I get it. But when you're already labeled as "1b" to ****ing Shaq?! There is no more leeway.
    Last edited by TheCorporation; 06-30-2014 at 12:57 AM.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Re: Was Kobe "1b" when Shaq was with the Lakers? Or...?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    I hear people calling Kobe "1b" during Shaq's 3-peat. Does the b stand for beta? One beta? And 1a stands for one alpha?

A lot of people like to go on emotions and name calling only. I like to post facts. So, without further adieu, FACTS about 1beta Kobe and how he faired once Shaq left the Lakers...

2005: Kobe's Lakers won 34 games, going 34-48, missing the playoffs
    2006: Kobe's Lakers won 45 games, going 45-37, lost in the 1st round to MVP Nash's Suns
    2007: Kobe's Lakers won 42 games, going 42-40, lost in 1st round to Nash's Suns

Summary
    Misses playoffs
    loses in 1st round
    loses in 1st round

Yep, sounds like "1b" right here...But does 1b = one beta?

What it sounds like to me is a clear cut Robin. Was Kobe's "1b" name meant to stand for one beta? Or have I cracked the code?
    I mean off course when Kwame is your center you should be winning 60+ games.

He was a top 5 player in 01 & 02, and carried garbage teams to the playoffs while having one of the best scoring seasons ever, and nearly beat the #1 seed. And then went to 3 straight finals and won 2 straight championships without Shaq. You forgot to mention that

Banned

If you ever struggle to sleep, log on to ISH in the off-season, threads like this will put you to sleep.

Kobe must have stole this dude's lunch money when he was a kid or something.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    I mean off course when Kwame is your center you should be winning 60+ games.
    Dude, from what I've heard Kobe was the MVP of the league, the best player in the league at the time! He was bailing Shaq out during the 3-peat and was the "1b" during their run!

At least, that's what people say...Then I see the facts. Two 1st round boots and a complete missing of the playoffs. Doesn't sound very MVPesque to me.

Do we really need to go over LeBron's supporting cast, for comparison? LeBron's Cavs won 35 games (Kobe won 34 when Shaq left). Bron never won less than 42 after his 1st year in the league. And yet the "Kobe 2005-2006" league MVP won 35 and 45 games and was the "1b" that was nearly as good as Shaq...
    Last edited by TheCorporation; 06-30-2014 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfan
    He was a top 5 player in 01 & 02, and carried garbage teams to the playoffs while having one of the best scoring seasons ever, and nearly beat the #1 seed. And then went to 3 straight finals and won 2 straight championships without Shaq. You forgot to mention that
    Oh, you mean once he got Pau Gasol? And Ron Artest?

Banned

Oh, you mean once he got Pau Gasol? And Ron Artest?
    Huh? And Shaq won 3 with kobe and 1 with wade. What's your point

And were my observations not factual?
    Facts can be pretty meaningless when you intentionally ignore context.

T-Mac's team made the Finals in 2013. Facts though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by played0ut
    Huh? And Shaq won 3 with kobe and 1 with wade. What's your point
    My point is very simple.

Give Kobe elite 7-footers and he seems to do very well (imagine that). The facts are there for everyone to see how well he did without any 7-footers that were elite rebounders and scorers.

Side note: If Kobe truly was 1b then shouldn't he have done a better job than missing the playoffs completely and then having two first round exits? Honest question. LeBron's never been knocked out of the first round.

OP was conceived on July 1, 2003. Hence, the anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Facts can be pretty meaningless when you intentionally ignore context.

T-Mac's team made the Finals in 2013. Facts though, right?
    Is there any substances to what you're saying? Or just want to say that to say it? My point is that Kobe was touted the 1b to Shaq and "MVP" of the league, when clearly...We saw what an MVP does with a not so favorable roster. They win 60+ games, they get past the 1st round, etc.

My point is very simple.

Give Kobe elite 7-footers and he seems to do very well (imagine that). The facts are there for everyone to see how well he did without any 7-footers that were elite rebounders and scorers.

Side note: If Kobe truly was 1b then shouldn't he have done a better job than missing the playoffs completely and then having two first round exits? Honest question. LeBron's never been knocked out of the first round.
    Honest question, how many times did LeBron face the 2006-2010 Suns in the playoffs?

Honest question, how often did Kobe outplay Shaq in the first three rounds (the actual playoffs) in 2001?

Honest question, are you actually retarded, or do you just pretend on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    OP was conceived on July 1, 2003. Hence, the anger.
    Haha, come on man, no anger here. I know you're a Kobe fan, that's cool. You're a good poster on the site for the most part, but you can't deny that I am bringing up some good points? If Kobe was truly the "1b" and league MVP he surely could've scraped together a few more wins and maybe get them to the second round? During Bron's MVP runs he won 60+ games both times in Cleveland and didn't get bounced in the 1st round. I'm not being a hater, trying to put things into perspective for the hating stans. I know you're not a stan so I'm trying to reason with you.

Banned

I talked about this from another thread, other than 2008-2010 Kobe's tenure as "the man" has been a huge bust

Misses playoffs, 1st round exits

Then gets swept by Dallas in 2011, and then barely makes playoffs with an all star team in 2013

very underwhelming tbh