Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: New HBO Series "The Leftovers"

my interest in this show is fleeting. the 2nd episode was almost background noise to me. but ill keep watching due to the lack of sunday night shows right now.

Ray donovon (showtime) comes back in a couple weeks, i think. Nothing spectacular, but its something to watch.

Yup, it's over.

Made it about 20 minutes into episode three before I turned it off. I'm out. Too boring.

NBA Superstar

i'm not going to even bother with ep 3.

too much shit on Netflix now, it'll take me awhile to get thru their new stuff i haven't seen.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Last night's episode was ****ing awesome. I love it when they focus on just one character for an entire episode. Anyway, the upcoming episodes look insane. Shits about to go down.

No titties yet tho. Come on HBO

Couldn't make it through episode 2. The big mystery that this show is based on doesn't hook my interest. It feels too forced. Nothing about the show feels mysterious tbh, its like the writer went off his adderall and began writing random sh1t.

This show is literally leftovers...its like 3 day old pizza thats been sitting in the fridge uncovered

I'm not in love with the show but I thought I'd keep watching. Then i read the book. Decided I'd rather do that and see if the show felt like something that would keep my attention.

As non spoilerish as I can put it, I find the tone of the series (and how it's presented ) a bit misleading. If anyone wants a more spoilerish thing see below...

[COLOR="White"](It's a character study, they don't tell you what happened. Very little of anyone's stories are resolved in ways that are satisfying or to be honest, even that interesting...if part of your interest in the story is what happened, then it's the wrong story you are watching..unless HBO REALLY changes things and so far they have not...)[/COLOR]

Krust Kingz

I gave it a chance just nothing of substance but the premise seemed interesting initially.

Something better happen fast. This shit is trying my last dam nerve. Having faith that hbo will pull it out.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Lindelhoff has come out and said that they won't be explaining what happened. That that just isn't what they want to do in this story. I'm fine with that. But who knows how long I'll be fine with it, because eventually the effect will have to wear on the characters.

I liked last night. The finding Jesus thing was a little heavy handed. But it was a cool concept all episode. And so far I'd say what's saving it is that the performances have been great. The scene between the cop and his ex wife last night was awesome. He's been great in general. The daughter is really excellent, especially considering that character could fall into the rebelling teenage trope with just a missed inflection or two. Most of the kids have been really good. And the priest, who I just realized runs the military faction at the end of 28 Days Later, is really good, and so far I'm intrigued by his sister who looks like she'll be getting mixed up with the cop, and these big cast ensemble shows seem to work best when the characters start to overlap.

But the character stuff will only last so long. Something is going to have to happen.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I can't say that I haven't enjoyed the show so far, but there's no doubt in my mind it will go the way of John from Cincinnati. I'd be stunned if there was a second season.

Pretty good summary of how this show sucks.

http://www.tv.com/news/the-leftovers...-140589565900/

Banned

I love the show and will be dejected when its cancelled. I love the blind way that we feel watching something that is quasi mysterious and ambiguous. I also love the bleak despondency that it delivers. Plus, most scenes are like vibrant visual non sequiturs that are curiously interesting to me. I completely understand why most of you guys hate it. Most people now a days don't want to wait for mysteries to be solved, they don't want constant downer narratives without comedic moments, and may still suffering from LOSTitis.. Im going to try enjoying this first season since social reception and ratings are low, making a second season a remote possibility.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    I love the show and will be dejected when its cancelled. I love the blind way that we feel watching something that is quasi mysterious and ambiguous. I also love the bleak despondency that it delivers. Plus, most scenes are like vibrant visual non sequiturs that are curiously interesting to me. I completely understand why most of you guys hate it. Most people now a days don't want to wait for mysteries to be solved, they don't want constant downer narratives without comedic moments, and may still suffering from LOSTitis.. Im going to try enjoying this first season since social reception and ratings are low, making a second season a remote possibility.

I don't disagree with any of this. And patience has always been a virtue of mine. I think the problem is that it's not an issue of patience, so much as there's just no answers coming. And if we get them, it'll probably be because the show has bent it's vision to the criticism, and then who knows what it'll be.

I also wouldn't put it past HBO to give it a second season as a loss leader just to stay connected to Lindlehoff. They sort of did that with Treme' as a means to maintain their relationship with David Simon just in case he has another Wire tucked away in his brain somewhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I don't disagree with any of this. And patience has always been a virtue of mine. I think the problem is that it's not an issue of patience, so much as there's just no answers coming. And if we get them, it'll probably be because the show has bent it's vision to the criticism, and then who knows what it'll be.

I also wouldn't put it past HBO to give it a second season as a loss leader just to stay connected to Lindlehoff. They sort of did that with Treme' as a means to maintain their relationship with David Simon just in case he has another Wire tucked away in his brain somewhere.
    Yeah you have a point about the second season. They also have done it with The Newsroom allowing it an extra two seasons despite poor ratings. Daniels winning an Emmy may have something to do with it but I doubt it factored much.

I think there is a clear intention in the narrative to reveal something world building. It doesn't feel right as an aftermath only show. They have been sprinkling in too many eccentric things like the dogs not being the same, the peanut butter eating dads comments, and the white people leader saying that their is no more family. Also, in episode 4 the guy telling the Asian chick that she walks upon the dead and their all wearing white. They are clearly dropping hints relating to a supernatural or unidentifiable behind the scenes concept. I have no doubt that reveals are coming. I only fear what they will be, if they will be absurd, and the length of time it will take them to address the hidden things. Also, the beginning credits gives credence to a theme yet explored. It seems like the whole thing has a dissociative disconnect to the story. Maybe it feels that way because its associated with that part of the show that is being kept secret. Andy Greenwald stated in Hollywood Prospectus that episode 5 will explain a lot about the black hugging guy story. I don't know if its a big show real or just a reveal to what's happening in Vegas.

Banned

I know the show runner said that they are not explaining what the event was. However maybe the event cause other changes apart from the disappearances. So what they will reveal is what those alterations were and how it's affecting society or humanity.