Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Why does kobe make winning a ring look so easy?

In the midst of the free agency this summer, where every free agent is trying to join a stacked team to compete, all I can think of is when kobe got gasol mid season and immediately became a favorite and go on to win two straight after reaching the finals. And today were looking at lebron, Melo, love etc looking to join players like rose and noah or harden and Howard in order to just compete... so why is it that kobe can do it with one all star while these so called top 10 players need multiple potential 1st team all nba to compete?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Why does kobe make winning a ring look so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    In the midst of the free agency this summer, where every free agent is trying to join a stacked team to compete, all I can think of is when kobe got gasol mid season and immediately became a favorite and go on to win two straight after reaching the finals. And today were looking at lebron, Melo, love etc looking to join players like rose and noah or harden and Howard in order to just compete... so why is it that kobe can do it with one all star while these so called top 10 players need multiple potential 1st team all nba to compete?
    Kobe has won 2 rings from 03 through 14....nothing easy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rule1223
    Its not just Lebron. Magic needed Kareem AND Worthy, Bird needed Parish AND Mchale. Duncan needed Parker AND Ginobli. Jordan needed Pippen AND Rodman. It's very rare to win multiple titles with just one other HOF teammate.

Decent college freshman

Why?

GOAT coach, most stacked frontcourt in the NBA, weak competition(injured Rockets, injured Magic, chucker Nuggets, injured Celtics, etc). 2009/2010 was a lowpoint for the NBA. You know the Finals are bad when the best offensive player on the opposing team is Hedo Turkoglu.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    Why?

GOAT coach, most stacked frontcourt in the NBA, weak competition(injured Rockets, injured Magic, chucker Nuggets, injured Celtics, etc). 2009/2010 was a lowpoint for the NBA. You know the Finals are bad when the best offensive player on the opposing team is Hedo Turkoglu.
    Wasn't 2010 the year Lebron would have been swept out of the Conference Finals as the 1 seed if it wasnt for some lucky shot?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Wasn't 2010 the year Lebron would have been swept out of the Conference Finals as the 1 seed if it wasnt for some lucky shot?
    It's incredibly rare for a one-man team to win an NBA title. Only Hakeem, Duncan, and Dirk have done it in the modern era.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Kobe has won 2 rings from 03 through 14....nothing easy about it.
    Getting a player of gasols calibre is relatively easy and that's all a team has to do to get a with for kobe so I'd say that's pretty easy, imagine if lebron resigned with the heat and he said all he needed was bosh to resign and he'd be able to compete for a ring easily

Its not just Lebron. Magic needed Kareem AND Worthy, Bird needed Parish AND Mchale. Duncan needed Parker AND Ginobli. Jordan needed Pippen AND Rodman. It's very rare to win multiple titles with just one other HOF teammate.
    The fact that I've seen more than three Kobe stans use this "HoF help" criteria today is getting a little worrying.

Here's a new one: Kobe won every one of his rings with another All-NBA player. Duncan didn't have another All-NBA teammate in 99, 03, 05 or 07 (Parker was one in 14 and Duncan wasn't). Kobe always needed a top 15 player n the league on his team to win, whereas Duncan didn't need a single one for his first four.

This Hall of Fame thing is absurd. Yes he had three Hall of Famers with him in 03, but two of them were role players and the other one was one of the lousiest second options I've ever seen on a title team.

It's incredibly rare for a one-man team to win an NBA title. Only Hakeem, Duncan, and Dirk have done it in the modern era.
    Who said anything about winning a title? We are talking about about being a 1 seed, and nearly getting swept by a "one man team" in the Conference Finals. The same one man who can't get out the first round in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    The fact that I've seen more than three Kobe stans use this "HoF help" criteria today is getting a little worrying.

Here's a new one: Kobe won every one of his rings with another All-NBA player. Duncan didn't have another All-NBA teammate in 99, 03, 05 or 07 (Parker was one in 14 and Duncan wasn't). Kobe always needed a top 15 player n the league on his team to win, whereas Duncan didn't need a single one for his first four.

This Hall of Fame thing is absurd. Yes he had three Hall of Famers with him in 03, but two of them were role players and the other one was one of the lousiest second options I've ever seen on a title team.

Kobe would have hit this, he always does.

Use current year all stars then

Kobe won 5 rings with no more than 1 current all star teammate per title team.

Decent college freshman

This Hall of Fame thing is absurd.
    Pretty much. The '04 Lakers had four HOFers and they got killed by a Pistons team with no HOFers in the Finals.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    Kobe would have hit this, he always does.
    Kobe would have went 6-24 while his 2nd and 3rd options bail his ass out.

Pretty much. The '04 Lakers had four HOFers and they got killed by a Pistons team with no HOFers in the Finals.
    One data point is convincing argument. You must be a scientist.

Use current year all stars then

Kobe won 5 rings with no more than 1 current all star teammate per title team.
    That's a much better way to look at it. I'm not even debating the point of your post, I just think that way of judging help is a little misleading.

You could probably assume Robinson would have been an All-Star in 99, thought it's not certain (he didn't make the All-NBA team).

Manu was an All-Star in 05. Parker was one in 07 and 14.