Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: This should put an end to all the silly Messi GOAT talk once and for all

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    Lol some of the people on this site act as if the World Cup is like the NBA Finals and that not winning it every time is a massive stain on a players legacy. Look at Cruyff. Unlike how NBA fans disrespect past legends for "not getting it done," Cryuff's legacy is still valoured and respected.

Germany is the much deeper and talented team.
    Agreed, I'm sure most on here don't even watch much soccer, probably rely on fifa video games to rate players.

Banned

Default Re: This should put an end to all the silly Messi GOAT talk once and for all

Quote Originally Posted by kc16
    Agreed, I'm sure most on here don't even watch much soccer, probably rely on fifa video games to rate players.
    Thats how Messi won the award.

Robben got straight robbed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Kite
    Thats how Messi won the award.

Robben got straight robbed
    I agree Robben should have won the award no doubt but the Messi hate is so silly to me. The dude is one of the greatest to play the game yet the bashing he gets because he lost today is funny. Germany was by far the better overall team but the times Messi did get the ball, every German was on alert. Remove Messi from today's game and watch how bad Argentina loses this game.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Right, Ronaldinho was THE flop of the tournament in 2006, and has never been able to play at a World Cup after that, because he was too fat, lazy and bad... This guy played 2 WC's, while Messi will play 4-5 in his career, because thats how long he will stay elite, and so you give Ronaldinho the edge based on a couple games in 2002?

Stop it, you're embarrassing yourself.

And since when was this on International play? Clown.
    Ronaldinho was a key member of that WC title team. We're talking about international play because that's what the WC is, you dimwit.

There are two different categories for great players, what they do in club play and what they do at international play. Obviously you don't want to talk about Messi's international play because it's been pretty meh so far. Read the Argentinian sports press you asshole.

What a joke of an award, Messi wasn't the best WC player...lol

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    Lol some of the people on this site act as if the World Cup is like the NBA Finals and that not winning it every time is a massive stain on a players legacy. Look at Cruyff. Unlike how NBA fans disrespect past legends for "not getting it done," Cryuff's legacy is still valoured and respected.

Germany is the much deeper and talented team.
    Cruyff isn't a good example though--he was without question the best player in the 1974 tournament. Golden Ball aside, can you say that for Messi? He was pretty much invisible after the group stage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Ronaldinho was a key member of that WC title team. We're talking about international play because that's what the WC is, you dimwit.

There are two different categories for great players, what they do in club play and what they do at international play. Obviously you don't want to talk about Messi's international play because it's been pretty meh so far. Read the Argentinian sports press you asshole.
    A key member for 3 games?

This isn't 2010 anymore.. The world cup isn't isn't the NBA finals, its a tournament every 4 years... you dont use that to evaluate players when Messi has twice the career at club level than Ronaldinho has had.

And what the **** does that mean "2 different categories" ?

Look, I know you guys are clueless, but just stop talking shit then.

Cali Love

Peak Roni is as good as anybody TBH...that guy had too much talent.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Messi ain't ****ing with Pele, Maradona, or Zidane. Not now, or ever.
    Lettuce be real...Ronaldo Fenomeno's peak > Zidane's.

I agree Robben should have won the award no doubt but the Messi hate is so silly to me. The dude is one of the greatest to play the game yet the bashing he gets because he lost today is funny. Germany was by far the better overall team but the times Messi did get the ball, every German was on alert. Remove Messi from today's game and watch how bad Argentina loses this game.

Was Messi playing CB? How do Argentina lose this game in a worse fashion?

Mascherano was holding that whole defence down for Argentina and he would have done the same even without Messi.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by c3z4r
    Was Messi playing CB? How do Argentina lose this game in a worse fashion?

Mascherano was holding that whole defence down for Argentina and he would have done the same even without Messi.
    Exactly, the best player for Argentina this game was clearly Mascherano. Its in games like these that the best player in the world has to score in individual plays. The problem this game was not Argentina's defense, but its offense.

I should rephrase my last sentence, without Messi, Argentina won't create as many chances to win the game.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I should rephrase my last sentence, without Messi, Argentina won't create as many chances to win the game.
    Depends who you replace him with.. you have to admit this wasn't his most inspired game.

Decent playground baller Ratnik's Avatar

That hobbit won the Golden Ball of the tournament Fxck fifa

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Lettuce be real...Ronaldo Fenomeno's peak > Zidane's.
    Ronaldo ranking higher than Zidane in the all-time list is obvious to anyone who has watched them play.

I don't know why ISHers are so obsessed by Zidane. He's been a true superstar, but he's nowhere near any discussion for GOAT.
    Is it really because of this sort of basketball bias to overrate stats and consider two goals in a WC final legendary?

[COLOR="White"]hint: Ronaldo did that too.[/COLOR]