Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default George Gervin VS Julius Erving

Huge Iceman fan here, so...

I was stunned while looking at Doc NBA resum
    Last edited by Iceman#44; 07-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Default Re: George Gervin VS Julius Erving

[QUOTE=Iceman#44]Huge Iceman fan here, so...

I was stunned while looking at Doc NBA resum
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 07-14-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Banned

i have erving top 15

gervin top 30

this isnt even a debate

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive literally heard out of George Gervins mouth that he didnt care if his man scored 30 on him because he was gonna score 40 back.

They were not the same kind of player. If Doctor J were not so unselfish of course he could have score 40 more often.

But he tried to play the game as one of 5.

Gervin wanted to score...period. He would get to his spots and try to score. Doc was letting everyone play and picking his spots.

Not like Doc was out there taking 30 shots and failing to score a lot.

Doc might take 16-20 shots in a flow of the game. If Gervin takes 20 its 20 more deliberate set up shots. Kinda like how Kidd and Steve Francis might both take 15-16 shots...but Kidds are more opportunistic than looking for it.

A subtle difference but its there if you care to look.

I liked Gervin though. Mostly because of 86. I met him several times and he and BJ Armstrong are the nicest NBA players I ever spoke with.

NBA All-star

contrary to what most coaches would teach their guard.

I think there are great importance in guards ability to play the game, not just laterally and foward, but also backward.

this concept even applies to the handchecking rule, while conventional wisdom would be to keep the players out. But the ability to play backward also means directing an opposing player towards a certain direction you'd like them to go.

I think any players that appreciate, and utilizes help defense would agree with this.

looking at the stats, Gervin as the great scorer probably had more focus on pushing the ball towards the basket. While Erving probably had more impact on a half court setting where it was about stopping this possession as one, then scoring on the other end as another.

Or maybe Gervin looked at the possession ended when our team has scored.

I'm just making stuff up here.

So Erving averaged 2 more rebounds, 1 more assist, 0.5 more steals, and twice as many blocks while winning two more titles and three more MVPs (counting the ABA in terms of titles and MVPs).

Looks to me like Dr J was the better overall player, and Gervin was the better scorer (in part due to Gervin choosing to focus on scoring and Erving on being a team player). You can make the same argument for Dantley as Gervin, and nobody has Dantley above Dr J. You can add Melo to the list as well.

Interesting comparison. The statistics at face value do suggest that the difference between Gervin and Erving is relatively minimal (in the NBA, at least).

However, Erving was a much better defender than Gervin. That's the main difference between the two. Erving played on better teams which helps him in the W column, but I feel that he was more of a team player.

I actually feel that both players are underrated historically. I'd be comfortable with Gervin around the 25-30 range all-time.

Gervin's underrated these days, he led teams that weren't all that, far in the post-season various times, as well, while raising his game... But Erving was just the better player and has a better resume. Iceman was definitely the better scorer but Doc got him rebounding, playmaking and defense, at the end of the day and overall, just the better player although it's not all that far.

Decent playground baller

So would you Rank Gervin as a top 20 if he won the MVP during that 79 season?

This is like comparing Nique Wilkins to Clyde Drexler. Yeah Nique might give you 6 more points but Clyde is giving you more of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Gervin's underrated these days, he led teams that weren't all that, far in the post-season various times, as well, while raising his game... But Erving was just the better player and has a better resume. Iceman was definitely the better scorer but Doc got him rebounding, playmaking and defense, at the end of the day and overall, just the better player although it's not all that far.
    Right on the money! It's Doc's all around game that gives him the edge. But Gervin was the best scorer in the world (at least perimeter wise) and redefined the SG spot. His blend of midrange game, post game, slashing to the rack is only matched by MJ and Kobe among SG's. But I think both really redefined the SG and SF position along with Thompson, Maravich, and later Bird in the 70's and 80's.
    Last edited by bizil; 07-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.

What I found funny is that when iceman got on first take ant talked to skip and stephen he bragged about his FG% like three times.

Erving had heart, end of comparison

Gervin was truly one of the most explosive scorers in NBA history. In terms of peak scoring over the course of say three straight seasons, he probably ranks behind...

Wilt
    MJ
    Kareem
    McAdoo
    Baylor
    Kobe

But, his overall RESUME was not on Erving's level.

Furthermore, it's a shame that Erving's peak came in his ABA years. If you give at least some credence to his ABA seasons, his career resume vaults him close to Top-10 all-time.

the Fanger roll!!!

Gervin was better scorer for sure . He's my greatest scorer of SF position in basketball history ( probably with Durant) .

He's one of the top 40-45 GOAT too . And there was not a big difference in between of two's level at between 77-82 .

But Erving was still better with his all around game .

Erving and Gervin faced at 79 playoffs . Both had around 26 ppg . But look at their 79 playoffs other numbers ;

Erving - 7.8 Reb , 5.9 Ast , 2 Stl , 1.9 Blk

Gervin - 5.9 Reb , 2.5 Ast , 1.9 Stl , 1 Blk