Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson or Fender?

Used to love Gibson when i first started. Sg's were such bang for your buck guitars.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Why choose? Get the best of both worlds and buy a PRS solidbody.

But seriously, I rarely find a production guitar that I don't like. Strat, Les Paul... who cares. Both are great.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

depends what you want. Personally I like the gibson SG and the fender telecaster (esp with the front humbucker). Overall, I am biased towards gibson. Gibsons are generally better made (particularly the pre 80s ones)

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    Get the best of both worlds and buy a PRS solidbody.
    Nice guitars, but incredibly overprized.

@OP

What about LP alternatives? Tokai has made some pretty cool stuff for example which should still be easy to find. Just from a financial point of view, this looks more interesting to me than going for a full price Gibson.

NBA Superstar

i have had nothing but good things with my fender. I bought 500 dollar mexican stratocaster, and put in 300 dollar billy corgan custom pickups in it

just listen to me man this is best advice I will ever give

"80% of your sound quality comes from the amp"

but shit like a bad pedal setup can ruin this as well. be careful and good luck brother.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    i have had nothing but good things with my fender. I bought 500 dollar mexican stratocaster, and put in 300 dollar billy corgan custom pickups in it

just listen to me man this is best advice I will ever give

"80% of your sound quality comes from the amp"

but shit like a bad pedal setup can ruin this as well. be careful and good luck brother.
    What's your setup?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dr.hee
    What's your setup?
    my setup is changing at the moment.

I am likely going to get a cheap tube amp and mod into a marshall jcm800 clone or something.

that is how you know you are talking to a decent electric guitarist, they understand the good amps as opposed to cliche's about the guitars.

(sorry I am high)

this is one of the best amps of all time and one that many legendary guitarists and musicans use

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...100w-tube-head

this will have a greater increase on your sound more than any guitar ever will. If you want to save money google "marshall jcm 800 clone." For example Peavey offers one modeled exactly after it called the "Peavey Windsor" for like 400 dollars.

Also, NEVER buy a multi effects pedal. Just hand pick your own pedals and run them all into a pedal powering source like the DC Brick or something. Just trust me lol.

Look up gear rigs for guitarists you like and see what pedals they use and consider using some of the same ones.

Some legendary pedals I use are the

Big Muff (epic fuzz pedal)
    Boss DS-1 (distortion)
    Boss PH-3 (Phase shifter, cool echo sounds for solos and other shit)
    MXR Phase-90 (for solos and shit too)

and some others as well
    Last edited by russwest0; 07-17-2014 at 06:05 AM.

NBA Superstar

there are also some people online who mod popular, legendary pedals and make them really epic. they also make their own custom pedals that have unique and epic sounds.

that is always an option but they are usually pretty expensive like 100-200 per pedal.

Also, ALWAYS BUY THE ORIGINAL PEDAL and not a reboot. Same goes for all guitar shit. They always remake the classic gear that is legendary, but it just isn't as good. buy the old, original shit instead.

NBA Superstar

Also you NEED a compressor pedal (MXR-Dyna Comp is the standard here) and if you are getting any sort of static noise in the background from your setup buy a noise cancellation pedal... don't nobody want to have to filter through your static just to hear your music

k I will stop blowing up thread now
    Last edited by russwest0; 07-17-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Fender and Gibson have nice familiar tones but they can only give you the Fender/Gibson sound. PRS guitars will give you a much wider range of tone. They are expensive guitars though, I personally got lucky and found a 40% off deal online a few years ago and I took the opportunity.

I am likely going to get a cheap tube amp and mod into a marshall jcm800 clone or something.

that is how you know you are talking to a decent electric guitarist, they understand the good amps as opposed to cliche's about the guitars.

(sorry I am high)

this is one of the best amps of all time and one that many legendary guitarists and musicans use

this will have a greater increase on your sound more than any guitar ever will. If you want to save money google "marshall jcm 800 clone." For example Peavey offers one modeled exactly after it called the "Peavey Windsor" for like 400 dollars.

Also, NEVER buy a multi effects pedal. Just hand pick your own pedals and run them all into a pedal powering source like the DC Brick or something. Just trust me lol.

Look up gear rigs for guitarists you like and see what pedals they use and consider using some of the same ones.

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

and some others as well
    You don't need a 100W amp to get a decent sound out of your guitar, at least this is consistent with your character. You remind me of those guys I knew who couldn't wait to show off their loud ass amps by making your ears bleed.

Also you NEED a compressor pedal (MXR-Dyna Comp is the standard here) and if you are getting any sort of static noise in the background from your setup buy a noise cancellation pedal... don't nobody want to have to filter through your static just to hear your music

Or it means too many cables and not proper grounding, also a good guitar player appreciates a reasonable amount of organic hum. Getting prickly about a perfect clean sound just makes your tone sound artificial.

(sorry I am high)

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

and some others as well
    Well, you're quite full of yourself. I suppose you're not even close to semi pro level playing ( compared to skill found in different playing settings, not in terms of commercial success), yet you're talking nonsense about NEVER buying multi effect units and recommending an 100w head without taking into consideration musical taste and stage setting. Then you're listing Boss pedals as some kind of legendary gold standard while saying a central power source is important, but on the other hand you're completely ignoring the really meaningful stuff regarding tone like true bypass and cable length.

So to me, it looks like you're the musical equivalent of all those armchair quarterbacks thinking they can say meaningful shit about football because they possess two healthy arms. Not your best try

And more bullshit

Why do I NEED a compressor? Have you ever even played guitar?

there are also some people online who mod popular, legendary pedals and make them really epic. they also make their own custom pedals that have unique and epic sounds.

that is always an option but they are usually pretty expensive like 100-200 per pedal.

Also, ALWAYS BUY THE ORIGINAL PEDAL and not a reboot. Same goes for all guitar shit. They always remake the classic gear that is legendary, but it just isn't as good. buy the old, original shit instead.
    And even more bullshit...so instead of a modern custom strat style guitar with individually chosen specs regarding hardware, frets, neck and overall built, I should ALWAYS go with the original Fender version? Which means mass produced 60s guitars made out of cheap wood built by amateurs with no quality control whatsoever? Just lucking out by finding the good 1 out of 10 duds? Big news for you: Hendrix was awesome because he was Hendrix, not because he played the crap Fender was producing at the time. Do you think he enjoyed massive hum problems and his guitar never staying in tune? Or should I buy an original non master volume 100w head if I can get the same thing with master and FX-loop?

I should choose a 70s single coil with huge variances in winding numbers as opposed to modern small custom shops using the same materials while staying consistent regarding the building process?
    The same with pedals. If the original version has no true bypass, and I can get a reboot with improvements, I shouldn't take it? Why?

You're repeating the same nostalgia bullshit Fender and Gibson have been using for decades to justify their mediocre and non innovative business policy by convincing gullible casual players like yourself that there's some kind of special magic around old ass gear
    Last edited by dr.hee; 07-17-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Banned

I prefer less pedals and impedance, right now I'm mainly using my tele straight into a fender champ 500 and using my tele to get the tone I want. No point having a big tube amp unless you're gigging big shows and even then they should have a p.a. You can't really get a real good sound out of a 100watt or even something like my 40watt blues deluxe I sold until you crank it abit which is too loud for residential use for me. I've also always been told, never done it though, that kit pedal copies are actually better than the originals now because you can make it like they used to rather than the cheap mass market versions big companies put out now.

I've never been a big fan of the look of prs guitars sound nice but always thought they were a bit ugly. Can't say I've heard of any quality issues with them like fender and Gibson have at times though

(sorry I am high)

Marshall JCM800 is about the most cliche thing you can get, maybe the AC30 tops it. LP & JCM800 is the standard touch guy combo.