Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewish or Jew?

Banned

Default Jewish or Jew?

Normally, I would refer the someone as, "He is Jewish" and not "He is a Jew."

Some people I know refer to themselves as Jewish and some say Jew.

Jew sounds derogatory to me. "You are Jewish." -or- "You are a Jew."

"Are you Jewish" sounds better than "Are you a Jew"

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Jewish or Jew?

It's the baby version of nikka I guess. In my experience Jew is generally derogatory unless said by a Jewish person. Pretty grey area though.

Fresh Kid Turned Rotten Lamar Doom's Avatar

You'd have to really lean into "jew" for it to be offensive. Just avoid "k[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]ke" and you'll be fine.

NBA All-star

it's formal versus informal.

obviously, jewish people themselves feels more laxed about using the term jew probably.

if you work with a lot of them or know a lot of them and that's what your friend groups are consisted of, I wouldn't be surprised if you meet someone new (none-jewish), you would informally call your pals jews in front of them.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Funny I was just discussing this with my wife yesterday

Many DO consider "jew" to be derogatory, and I can't figure out why that is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~

I think because it is always used in a derogatory manner.

NBA All-star

do you think people would ever cuss at someone else formally?

I mean, unless you want to really stretch it like "****ing jewish son of a bitch" instead of "you ****ing jew"

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

People should say, "of the Tribe of Judah" instead. It's more politically correct

My understanding is........

Jew = is meant to be in reference to somebody being a follower of the religion of Judaism. "A Jew" is like "a Christian", "a Muslim", "a pagan", and so on.

Jewish = is meant to be in reference to somebody being "ethnically Jewish". Like how people are ethnically "Spanish", "Irish", "Polish", "Scottish", "Swedish", "English", etc.

   

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    My understanding is........

Jew = is meant to be in reference to somebody being a follower of the religion of Judaism. "A Jew" is like "a Christian", "a Muslim", "a pagan", and so on.

Jewish = is meant to be in reference to somebody being "ethnically Jewish". Like how people are ethnically "Spanish", "Irish", "Polish", "Scottish", "Swedish", "English", etc.
    dunno where you got that from, but the two terms all mixed up and muddled together IME. i know of no such formal or colloquial distinction along the lines you mention.

besides which, it's almost impossible to determine traces of 'jewish' ethnicity without DNA tests. and even if it can be determined that they're semitic, it still means they're from an area which had lots of mixing between very different different folks.

Jew is best used as a verb.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    You'd have to really lean into "jew" for it to be offensive. Just avoid "k[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]ke" and you'll be fine.

this.

It's fine to say "Jew". If you say it in a mocking tone it's not so nice. But it's perfectly acceptable to refer to somebody or someone as a Jew.

Banned

Only if you say it in the same tone of voice as you say fag or cunt or say shit like "Don't be a jew"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Only if you say it in the same tone of voice as you say fag or cunt or say shit like "Don't be a jew"
    Isn't that weird how Jews and Gypsies have that saying. Like, nobody says "don't be a Hindu" or "I got Christian'd".

Europe has such a weird relationship/history with Jews and Gypsies. I think just last year France was again expelling Gypsies.

I know the stereotype comes from Jews being bankers and Gypsies supposedly being thieves/grifters, but wasn't banking like the only job Jews were even allowed to do in Europe? What sense does that make? Force Jews to be bankers and then slander them for being "greedy" when they didn't have a choice of what jobs they could do in the first place. People are weird man. People will find any excuse possible to be against anyone who isn't in their group.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Isn't that weird how Jews and Gypsies have that saying. Like, nobody says "don't be a Hindu" or "I got Christian'd".

Europe has such a weird relationship/history with Jews and Gypsies. I think just last year France was again expelling Gypsies.

I know the stereotype comes from Jews being bankers and Gypsies supposedly being thieves/grifters, but wasn't banking like the only job Jews were even allowed to do in Europe? What sense does that make? Force Jews to be bankers and then slander them for being "greedy" when they didn't have a choice of what jobs they could do in the first place. People are weird man. People will find any excuse possible to be against anyone who isn't in their group.
    Yep, pretty sad how all over the world minorities are hated on for no reason. Also throughout European history, Jews did their best to integrate into society and keep their heads down. Their culture was focused on education and honesty rather then violence and they generally were very peaceful. Still every time things went wrong, they would be blamed for it. Europeans would raid Jewish villages for fun and do f*cked up things like slice open pregnant womens bellies and shit. Because apparently Jews would kidnap children and grind them up to make matzah. My great great grandparents left Russia because the Czar would just send pogroms out for fun. He'd scapegoat jews everytime things went wrongly and then he'd send out raiding parties of rapists and cossacks to attack the defenseless Jewish villages in order to raise national morale. We still have one of his journals in the family where he talks about witnessing a pregnant women's belly get sliced open by cossacks. He was a surgeon and spoke 3 languages and taught himself English on the trip to America.

That's the thing, the Jews tend to be highly educated and productive members of society. When these countries like Spain and Russia drive them out, their economies and country in general often times goes to shit. Spain for example-they were the top empire in Europe, the Spanish Inquisition comes, they drive out all the Jews, what happens? Their whole economy collapses shortly after and it is still garbage today. Is it a coincidence? Maybe. But it makes no sense to treat a productive and peaceful minority like garbage. Still it keeps happening. Happening again in France even today.

Jews just want to keep their heads down and get by and they always try to integrate in to whatever society they are in. And still they are blamed and accused of things like controlling all the money, controlling the media, controlling the world, etc etc.

Gypsies I understand why people hate them. They are for the most part raised to be con artists and thiefs. They are taught growing up that they are entitled to take anything they want, and if they take it, it is theirs. They do not really keep their heads down and for the most part they do not contribute to society. I have read books and memoirs written by gypsies and they really have a strange world view and cultural upbringing that to me reads like they are taught to con whenever possible because they are entitled to everything, but to them I'm sure is just normal.

This probably constitutes as me hating on a minority now and being a hypocrite, but their society and culture does not really contribute to the societies they go to, as they don't really try to integrate, and they are always trying to take advantage of socialized welfare and squatting and doing other shit like that that I consider immoral and a con but to a gypsy is just normal due to their cultural upbringing. Still they don't deserve to be holocausted against, or driven out, or to have racist attacks made against them.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 07-29-2014 at 09:55 AM.