Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jewish or Jew?

Default Re: Jewish or Jew?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    That's the thing, the Jews tend to be highly educated and productive members of society. When these countries like Spain and Russia drive them out, their economies and country in general often times goes to shit. Spain for example-they were the top empire in Europe, the Spanish Inquisition comes, they drive out all the Jews, what happens? Their whole economy collapses shortly after and it is still garbage today. Is it a coincidence? Maybe. But it makes no sense to treat a productive and peaceful minority like garbage. Still it keeps happening. Happening again in France even today.
    I agree with your general sentiment, but as a stickler for history, your dates are messed up. The inquisition and Spain's first voyage to the Americas both started in 1492. Obviously, this was the beginning of the empires most productive time and it was one of the most successful empires for centuries after the inquisition. Let's not act like the Spanish were a bunch of incompetents who fell apart without the Jews. It's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Isn't that weird how Jews and Gypsies have that saying. Like, nobody says "don't be a Hindu" or "I got Christian'd".

Europe has such a weird relationship/history with Jews and Gypsies. I think just last year France was again expelling Gypsies.

I know the stereotype comes from Jews being bankers and Gypsies supposedly being thieves/grifters, but wasn't banking like the only job Jews were even allowed to do in Europe? What sense does that make? Force Jews to be bankers and then slander them for being "greedy" when they didn't have a choice of what jobs they could do in the first place. People are weird man. People will find any excuse possible to be against anyone who isn't in their group.
    I always thought it was Christians hating Jews because they apparently killed Christ. Lol, religion.

Banned

I agree with your general sentiment, but as a stickler for history, your dates are messed up. The inquisition and Spain's first voyage to the Americas both started in 1492. Obviously, this was the beginning of the empires most productive time and it was one of the most successful empires for centuries after the inquisition. Let's not act like the Spanish were a bunch of incompetents who fell apart without the Jews. It's not the case.
    I wasn't saying Spanish empire collapse was due to kicking out jews, just saying it did not help them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    I always thought it was Christians hating Jews because they apparently killed Christ. Lol, religion.
    lol Romans killed Jesus though.

lol Romans killed Jesus though.
    Was there ever a Jesus to begin with?

Banned

Was there ever a Jesus to begin with?
    Well they found the first record of him 80 years, or 3 generations of him after his death. (average life expectancy was 30 years old back then)

So maybe he didn't exist. I personally believe he did exist. There were a ton of rabbis in Jewish history similar to Jesus around that time period talking about the end of days and claiming to be the messiah, it's not like Jesus did anything really to differentiate himself from those rabbis except market himself better.

I also believe lots of the stories and anecdotes about him were created after he died, but that's just speculation. I think he must have been a Siddhartha Guatama level charismatic figure in his lifetime and then martydom drove him over the top. Of course I don't think he was a divine magical miracle man.

More charismatic messiah types similar to Jesus were Bar Kokhba abd Rabbi Akiva ben Joseph. There were a ton of these guys at the time, breaking away in to their own sects and gathering followers. Jesus just had the best marketing and branding IMO.

So yeah, Jews likely took a lot of shit due to a fictional story. Life is cruel. Oh well.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 07-29-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Well they found the first record of him 80 years, or 3 generations of him after his death. (average life expectancy was 30 years old back then)
    The average age was so low because of infant mortality rate. An adult would still reach 60, 70 easily.

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

Are you a Jew? has implications because of the phrase "A Jew". Are you Jewish? has no other implied meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by bballnoob1192
    Are you Jewish?
    I just don't dig on swine, that's all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bballnoob1192
    Are you a Jew? has implications because of the phrase "A Jew". Are you Jewish? has no other implied meanings.
    Just like people don't say are you "a black?" a Chinese?

You are black. You are Chinese.

You are Jew...no?

NBA Legend

Yep, pretty sad how all over the world minorities are hated on for no reason. Also throughout European history, Jews did their best to integrate into society and keep their heads down. Their culture was focused on education and honesty rather then violence and they generally were very peaceful. Still every time things went wrong, they would be blamed for it. Europeans would raid Jewish villages for fun and do f*cked up things like slice open pregnant womens bellies and shit. Because apparently Jews would kidnap children and grind them up to make matzah. My great great grandparents left Russia because the Czar would just send pogroms out for fun. He'd scapegoat jews everytime things went wrongly and then he'd send out raiding parties of rapists and cossacks to attack the defenseless Jewish villages in order to raise national morale. We still have one of his journals in the family where he talks about witnessing a pregnant women's belly get sliced open by cossacks. He was a surgeon and spoke 3 languages and taught himself English on the trip to America.

Mine fled Spain way back in the 1492 expulsion. Went to Jamaica and started up in the commerce game on the recently "discovered" island. They were there all the way until my grandmother married an American and moved to the states where my mom was born. Pretty sure Im related to Bob Marley doe.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Mine fled Spain way back in the 1492 expulsion. Went to Jamaica and started up in the commerce game on the recently "discovered" island. They were there all the way until my grandmother married an American and moved to the states where my mom was born. Pretty sure Im related to Bob Marley doe.
    My ancestors were pretty sweet.

NBA Legend

More charismatic messiah types similar to Jesus were Bar Kokhba abd Rabbi Akiva ben Joseph. There were a ton of these guys at the time, breaking away in to their own sects and gathering followers. Jesus just had the best marketing and branding IMO.

Shabbetai Tzvi

NBA Legend

My ancestors were pretty sweet.

Like cotton candy?

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    How do you guys feel about "Jap"?
    Seems fine to me.