Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Man SLAYS Piers Morgan and Suze Orman on Gay Marriage debate

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Like most right-wingers, he'd rather end the institution of marriage rather than be on equal footing with "teh gay".

There's no sound reason to deny them the right to marry.
    I'm not sure I'd qualify as a right winger.

I just don't see any value in marriage. And I'm an atheist, so I don't care about the religious value of it. I honestly wouldn't even care if marriage somehow became gays only. It's utterly meaningless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Like most right-wingers, he'd rather end the institution of marriage rather than be on equal footing with "teh gay".

There's no sound reason to deny them the right to marry.
    Nope. But we can debate definitions, technicalities, historical accuracy, and some other bullshit. The smart ones make sure to avoid religion.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Nope. But we can debate definitions, technicalities, historical accuracy, and some other bullshit. The smart ones make sure to avoid religion.
    Well, I wouldn't say there are no reasons to be against gay marriage. I don't think there is any reason to be against it in America. What's appropriate for America isn't necessarily appropriate for everywhere.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I'd actually like if the government didn't recognize marriage at all.
    I agree with this.

It still makes me laugh in that debate how she acted like his stance was that she didn't have the "right to marry" when he was completely fine with her getting married as long as it met his definition of marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Well, I wouldn't say there are no reasons to be against gay marriage. I don't think there is any reason to be against it in America. What's appropriate for America isn't necessarily appropriate for everywhere.
    I can agree with this.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    This all seems to boil down to a childish group mentality of not wanting others in so you can feel apart of something special. I can't see any other logical reason for being so hell bent over the definition of marriage.

Nonsense. Marriage between a man and a woman has been around for thousands upon thousands of years. Heterosexuals didn't wake up one day and say we don't want gay people to get married. There is such a thing as tradition and traditionalists with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of life that has suited us just fine until now.

Plus, the majority of the country is spiritual and religious. Marriage between same sex couples was and has always been considered unnatural. You can't procreate that way. You think scholars and old world senators and law-men were discussing this years ago?? Hell no. Why do we think that we are wiser, more progressive, or more enlightened than those that came before us??

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Nonsense. Marriage between a man and a woman has been around for thousands upon thousands of years. Heterosexuals didn't wake up one day and say we don't want gay people to get married. There is such a thing as tradition and traditionalists with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" way of life that has suited us just fine until now.

Plus, the majority of the country is spiritual and religious. Marriage between same sex couples was and has always been considered unnatural. You can't procreate that way. You think scholars and old world senators and law-men were discussing this years ago?? Hell no. Why do we think that we are wiser, more progressive, or more enlightened than those that came before us??
    Marriage is not a static thing by any means. And dont pretend that it is. Im sure by now you have researched this. A simple google search easily suffices.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/228...over-centuries

It should also be noted that current marriage is not even the same in every country of the world today. Let's not sit here and waste time arguing over traditions. Traditions that have already been clearly changed can be changed again. The people in the past certainly couldn't have anticipated the way the world is today. And clearly they didn't.

Let's also keep church and state separate. We don't need to bring religion into this. We shouldn't be making decisions based on the religions of the world. Especially considering the different sects and beliefs of religions. Not all Christians believe the same things. Not all Christians in the same denominations believe the same things.

Is homosexuality unnatural? Sure. I dont care about natural and unnatural labels. Do homosexuals exist? Yes. Can homosexuals procreate? No. Is procreation a requirement of marriage? No.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

That's all fine and dandy. I'm not worried about gay marriage in this country because all the states will allow it, just like all the states will allow marijuana at some point. The country has even elected a black President to represent them.

If this doesn't prove we've evolved ourselves as a nation, then I don't know what will. I only have a problem when people who are in support of gay marriage can't fathom or understand why someone would be in opposition to it, and immediately label them a bigot. We do have a right to oppose and not like certain things ya know?? The simple reason people oppose it right now is because marriage between a man and a woman has been a social archetype for thousands of years and some people want to change that overnight. Not going to happen that fast.

That's all fine and dandy. I'm not worried about gay marriage in this country because all the states will allow it, just like all the states will allow marijuana at some point. The country has even elected a black President to represent them.

If this doesn't prove we've evolved ourselves as a nation, then I don't know what will. I only have a problem when people who are in support of gay marriage can't fathom or understand why someone would be in opposition to it, and immediately label them a bigot. We do have a right to oppose and not like certain things ya know?? The simple reason people oppose it right now is because marriage between a man and a woman has been a social archetype for thousands of years and some people want to change that overnight. Not going to happen that fast.
    Well everyone is different. Some people who oppose gay marriage are bigots, others religious, others traditionalist, etc. But I bring up the points I made because we should be able to reason with traditionalist and religious individuals. Bigots on the other hand? No hope there.

(Religion can hide bigotry as can tradition)

Banned

I get what your saying but at the same time things like slavery or women's rights to vote were once traditions too. Some traditions and social archetypes need to be changed. The USA was largely built on change and their ideas of freedom and amendments.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

How many centuries was slavery around for? Hey, it's tradition, our forefathers practiced it, it must be good for us then! No.

This is a secular nation btw, and even if it wasn't, we don't hand out basic rights based on majority rule. Interracial marriage might still be illegal in the red south if we governed that way. The Constitution was created and amended specifically to prevent tyranny of the majority.