Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Default Re: Would the world be a better place without religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowitness
    But again, it drives people to do some good things. As I said anything good done in the name of religion can and has be done by non-believers. I don't see many anti-abortionist who use the bible as a reason adopting crack babies. I give blood, not because I believe in God (cause I don't) but because I like the idea of helping someone. Someone gains whilst I lose nothing.

As for the bottom piece of information I don't know how reliable this is, but I could just say rapist in America are more trusted than Atheists, numbers don't reflect much. Atheist are less likely to believe anything they are told or follow any given order like many religious nuts do (cough Holy War cough).
    wars, slavery, etc can happen WITHOUT religion too...that's why I'm saying for the most part at the heart of "good" and "bad" is the human, not the religion

idk wtf you are talking about with "rapists are more trusted..."

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    wars, slavery, etc can happen WITHOUT religion too...that's why I'm saying for the most part at the heart of "good" and "bad" is the human, not the religion

idk wtf you are talking about with "rapists are more trusted..."
    I Minnesota study asked people who their least trusted minority was. More say Atheists than rapist, hell more said the same when asked which minority totally disagrees with your view on American society.

AKA I don't really care what religious people say after results like that (and 40/50% still believing in creationism).

And I acknowledge they can and do, but in those cases their is nothing to justify them unlike religious slavery where the defense is :drumroll:

THE BIBLE SAYS SO.

People can deny it all they'd like but there are spiritual elements to life.

Hell, some of the greatest scientific minds came to that conclusion on their own without a church.

Would the world be better? I don't know...humans are the cause for wrong doings. Blaming religion is like blaming a gun when someone gets shot.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

No.

In my personal assessment I see no real difference between a world that grew with religion, and a world that grew without.

In fact I think in a world without religion as we know it, there would be some facsimile. Maybe instead of based in faith it's based in tribalism and would evolve to nationalism. Maybe politics. Etc. I think we would be drawn together into a similar aspect of society, and that would reach a proportion similar to what religion is now.

Something would take that place because that's the way we seem to work. And even if it was something provable like Math of Science we would still find ways to disagree and push it to radical levels.

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    People can deny it all they'd like but there are spiritual elements to life.

Hell, some of the greatest scientific minds came to that conclusion on their own without a church.

Would the world be better? I don't know...humans are the cause for wrong doings. Blaming religion is like blaming a gun when someone gets shot.
    Exactly, religion is the tool that causes someone to get hurt because they don't believe in whatever nonsense someone else wants them to believe. However, I do think that it it shouldn't exist in the first place. Certain events that happen just have no explanation sometimes, and religion is important distinguishing societies from each other. It can also unify people under one scope, that's how Yugoslavia was able to leave the Soviet Union even if they ended up going through even more hell in the 90s.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

No.

If I didn't fear God, I would kill a lot of people and then myself.

I could see both sides to a YES or NO answer regarding religion specifically. Spirituality however, then obviously the answer is NO. Humanity without spirituality is like life without complexity. To put it to you in another way; would the universe have a point, a need, a significance or serve any real purpose if there weren't us (complex life) there to behold it?

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

No, it would be something like Escape From New York

Yes, I think that a world based in universal positive values, stimulating free thinking, science, logical explanations and specially TOLERANCE should be a better world.

I dont consider the extreme atheism to be the correct option, believe in nothing but men is a self centered and simplistic way to explain life and its meaning.

Spirituality MUST exist and it

Banned

Of course the world would be better without religion.

You have to understand that religion replaced mysticism, which was the highest form of human contemplation and awareness. We have been living on/shackled by a regressing intellectual plane now for over 2000 years

Celtics 2016 Champs

No.

new nsfw video shows how great islam is : just google search this link :

http://the[COLOR="Black"]ync[/COLOR].com/theporkmonger/islamic-state-kill-many-muslims-and-throw-some-in-the-river.htm

NBA All-star

of course the world would be a better place if people didn't worship one book over another and they decided to read books and treat books as books.

People may not like this line of thinking, but honestly.......

Most of the sheep need to be herded.

http://www.barenakedislam.com/2013/0...-fire-for-fun/
    wish we could rid the earth of those devils !