Default True character behind Dog Day Afternoon

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/mo...w-the-dog.html

A documentary is coming out about the guy Al Pacino played in Dog Day Afternoon. Looks entertaining.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: True character behind Dog Day Afternoon

Sounds awesome. Dog Day Afternoon is probably one of my favorite Pacino performances all with "Scarecrow" with Gene Hackman. I think the guy was brilliant in the 70s, but because of drugs, ego...what have you, he ****ed up his career. He made his come back in Scarface playing an loudmouth and would basically seem to think that dramatic acting means yelling a lot and being angry...the man never regained his poise, but even in the 90s when he wasn't overacting he put out a great performance in D'onnie Brasco'

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Sounds awesome. Dog Day Afternoon is probably one of my favorite Pacino performances all with "Scarecrow" with Gene Hackman. I think the guy was brilliant in the 70s, but because of drugs, ego...what have you, he ****ed up his career. He made his come back in Scarface playing an loudmouth and would basically seem to think that dramatic acting means yelling a lot and being angry...the man never regained his poise, but even in the 90s when he wasn't overacting he put out a great performance in D'onnie Brasco'

Lefty one of my top 3 fictional characters

(I know its based on a real person but I mean in terms of fictional performances)

Attica!!!!!!!!!!

Good movie

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    but even in the 90s when he wasn't overacting he put out a great performance in D'onnie Brasco'
    I really wish he was his Oscar for this not for the POS he did win it for.

He had some great moments where he was doing almost a parody of the character at the same time he was committed to the character's belief.

I recommend the book too. Lots of stuff that didn't make the movie.

In real life when Sonny Black went missing the FBI suspected he was killed but he could have skipped down. When they took down his pigeon cages from the roof of his club, they knew he was dead.

That place is just a couple miles away from here. Just now as a was looking for that photo, I saw a reference to a murder case where a pizza guy and a baker were put on separate trials and the pizzeria owner got off while the baker got convicted. When I looked up the pizza guy's name I realized I'm friendly with his son. Crazy.

NBA rookie of the year

"I'm flying to the tropics. **** the snow"

shhhhhhh

Here's the Life magazine article that the movie was based off of...with some pics from the actual day the robbery took place

http://books.google.com/books?id=5VY...page&q&f=false