Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: ISH, where would you rank this NBA player as a passer?

Its impossible to rank/evaluate a players passing ability/skills/vision based on assist averages alone.... a guy leading the league in apg is always the result of a starting pass first PG playing alot of minutes / dominating the ball, sometimes its a system player being on the correct seat... certainly a big amount of passing skills are required to obtain that feat, but it doesnt mean highest apg = having the best passing skills, more like it means the guy was the best distributor, assist guy.....

What am i talking about?
    Pete Maravich averaged 5.4 apg for his career....
    Larry Bird averaged 6.3 apg for his career....
    They never led the league in assists, nowhere close.... yet, they accumulated some of the nastiest assists in NBA history, in vast abundance, they displayed amazing raw passing skills, innovative & difficult passes, the vision / passing skills they had are top 5 to me.... just by watching their games you would be able to see the difference between how they would pass the ball and the random PG who always averaged more assists than them.....

The guy you most probably are talking about (Lebron) belongs unfortunately in that same category when talking about passing skills....

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Its impossible to rank/evaluate a players passing ability/skills/vision based on assist averages alone.... a guy leading the league in apg is always the result of a starting pass first PG playing alot of minutes / dominating the ball, sometimes its a system player being on the correct seat... certainly a big amount of passing skills are required to obtain that feat, but it doesnt mean highest apg = having the best passing skills, more like it means the guy was the best distributor, assist guy.....

What am i talking about?
    They never led the league in assists, nowhere close.... yet, they accumulated some of the nastiest assists in NBA history, in vast abundance, they displayed amazing raw passing skills, innovative & difficult passes, the vision / passing skills they had are top 5 to me.... just by watching them you would be able to see the difference between them and the random PG who always averaged more assists than them.....

The guy you most probably are talking about (Lebron) belongs unfortunately in that same category when talking about passing skills....
    Pauk can you tell me more about Chinese point guard Sun Yue ?

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    Pauk can you tell me more about Chinese point guard Sun Yue ?
    Sun Yue, lol, what do you want to know? There is google/wikipedia aswell... :O

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    After looking through the stats I honestly don't see a big difference in playmaking from them at this stage in their careers. Durant has come a long way in terms of being a passer.

In terms of turnovers, LeBron is no doubt safer with controlling the ball while dribbling. I don't think that his passes are any safer at all though, and the stats someone above posted show that.

I'd honestly call it a wash. Both are pretty comparable passers at this point. Though I'm sure with the offense LeBron will be in next year, he'll average anywhere from 7 to 8 assists per game. Durant could probably do the same if allowed to play point in that offense though.
    KD is a pretty good passer, but he's not on LeBron level yet. LeBron averaged more assists than current KD, on the same number of TOV's in his ROOKIE year. There's a reason why most people consider him to be a top 2 passer at the forward position of all time. The guy also averaged 8.6 assists while scoring 30 a game in '10 (3.4 TOV's).

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

What am i talking about?
    They never led the league in assists, nowhere close.... yet, they accumulated some of the nastiest assists in NBA history, in vast abundance, they displayed amazing raw passing skills, innovative & difficult passes, the vision / passing skills they had are top 5 to me.... just by watching their games you would be able to see the difference between how they would pass the ball and the random PG who always averaged more assists than them.....

Didn't you make a thread a couple years ago about LeBron being a better passer than Bird while citing APG numbers as one of your main arguments?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Is this the same guy that had like 20 assist and 19 turnovers in the 2014 finals?
    Yeah, he only had one game where he had more assists than turnovers

Banned

SMH LeBron's a better, more efficient scorer, better rebounder (rebound percentage), better passer, AND defender

damn durant cant catch a break?

du#2 for his entire career

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Didn't you make a thread a couple years ago about LeBron being a better passer than Bird
    Yep, indeed. Thats what i think at least (today, kindof skeptical about it, comes and goes) and no i dont think its an obnoxious thought, thats the point, i explained pretty well what leads me towards that thought, but really, its a moot point between those two in that department, im happy with anybody thinking Bird > Lebron in that department, hell im happy with anybody thinking Bird > anybody (maybe not Magic though), he was that good.... when talking about strictly raw passing skills/vision...

while citing APG numbers as one of your main arguments?
    Yes APG was mentioned, but not in the purpose of using it to say he had better passing skills, but in the purpose of saying he was a better distributor, in that thread i broke down anything that had to do with passing, APG was used in that/different context as far as i remember? Dont usually read/remember those old threads, lots of clowning in the past, even though that one wasnt, not that much :P.....
    Last edited by pauk; 08-11-2014 at 06:20 PM.