Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default High School Studs who never made it in the NBA

Composing a list of the most "sure-thing" or "can't miss" prospects coming out of High School who flopped in the NBA or before they got there.

Here's my short list

DuJuan Wagner
    Lenny Cooke
    Felipe Lopez
    Rashard Griffith
    Erick Barkley
    Jerod Ward
    Derrick Caracter
    DerMarr Johnson
    Johnathan Bender
    Donnell Harvey
    Earl Jones

Default Re: High School Studs who never made it in the NBA

Wasn't Earl Manigualt a High School stud? His team beat Lew Alcindors Power Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Composing a list of the most "sure-thing" or "can't miss" prospects coming out of High School who flopped in the NBA or before they got there.

Here's my short list

DuJuan Wagner
    Lenny Cooke
    Felipe Lopez
    Rashard Griffith
    Erick Barkley
    Jerod Ward
    Derrick Caracter
    DerMarr Johnson
    Johnathan Bender
    Donnell Harvey
    Earl Jones
    The colour-coding in this article should be of use to identify the underachievers: http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...ns-hit-or.html

Good college starter

Most definitely Schea Cotton. He was like the Cali player of the year when he was sophomore. He was supposed to play at UCLA but NCAA cockblocked him. I think the problem with himwas he peaked too soon and did not developed competitive edge.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Juanny Wags #1 for me.. In HS people thought he would be next AI.. Sux injuries/sickness derailed him..

Had a semi-decent career, but when in highscool Darius Miles was head and shoulders above anyone else. Had me expecting a wing version of Kevin Garnett.

Wasn't Bassy Telfair was supposed to be on par with Lebron?

Lenny Cooke also comes to memory. Sad story.

And yeah, one of the first names to come to memory was Dajuan Wagner and his 100 point game.

Does anyone remember Griffith (who had his own Lenny Cooke moment) or Ward or Lopez?

Nice call on Schea Cotton btw

The ones I remember when i was a kid that haven't been mentioned was Ronald curry, Ronnie fields,randy livingston,..

I remember Felipe Lopez. The hype was ridiculous at St Johns. He honestly should have left after his freshman year, because he got exposed after that. As a freshman if you struggle, it's like big deal even Wiggins had his struggling moments. I think there was another hyped frosh that he wanted to win with, Zendon Hamilton or something.

Obviously he was still a 1st round pick, but he could have been top 5. The hype was strong.

They never lived up to it in college either, that class.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I remember Felipe Lopez. The hype was ridiculous at St Johns. He honestly should have left after his freshman year, because he got exposed after that. As a freshman if you struggle, it's like big deal even Wiggins had his struggling moments. I think there was another hyped frosh that he wanted to win with, Zendon Hamilton or something.

Obviously he was still a 1st round pick, but he could have been top 5. The hype was strong.

They never lived up to it in college either, that class.
    I played against Lopez a few times when we were both teens. Our entire team was convinced he was the next star of the NBA. He was so gifted so young, but I think like a lot of guys on this list, he never had the fire that kept him working harder than everyone else.

Like Lenny Cooke said once, "The hardest thing isn't making it to the top, it's staying on top."

Quote Originally Posted by the mesiah
    The ones I remember when i was a kid that haven't been mentioned was Ronald curry, Ronnie fields,randy livingston,..
    Curry is another good call. Although I do think playing two sports hurt him. Same thing with Drew Henson, another two sport stud from his era (baseball/football)

Also want to thank Will C for the link to a really nice article. Reminded me of a few State of Michigan busts...

LaVell Blanchard, Winfred Walton, Anthony Roberson and Kelvin Torbert. Saw all these guys multiple times in HS. Remember LB doing work on Jason Richardson in the class A state title game. Remember Kelvin Torbert and Desmond Farmer catching multiple oops a game as far back as their frosh/soph season in HS.

Another underrated Detroit area Prep Hoops star was Antonio Gates, also had his team in the state title. Would have played football and basketball at Michigan State instead of Kent State in then MSU football coach Nick Saban would have allowed it.
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 08-17-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the mesiah

I remember Curry, he played quarterback and point guard for UNC, he failed at both.

Sebastian Telfair

Raymond Lewis.

http://www.raymondlewis.com/

http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...id/7943393/one

[QUOTE]When ESPNHS took on the task of naming California's streetball legends in celebration of the Boost Mobile Elite 24 (Aug. 28, 7:30 p.m. EDT, ESPNU), digging deep was a must.

EVERYTHING ELITE 24

The Under Armour Elite 24 is a celebration of streetball's past, present and future. The 2012 game will be televised live on ESPNU at 7 p.m. ET Aug. 25, with the dunk contest on ESPNU at 7 p.m. ET Aug. 24.

Last edited by LAZERUSS; 08-17-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Curry is an example of poor timing. He comes in when both programs were in flux. He gets recruited to play under Mack Brown and spends his career under Torbush. Could have played under Coach Smith and he gets Guth. Torbush I have many problems with, Guth not so much. But Guth was a terrible talent evaluator and he ran alphabetical rotations (which I still believe cost us a championship in 1998. You don't bring Shammond off the bench in that situation when you know he struggles in the role). Nevermind that he was pretty much the perfect spread option QB before the spread became popular.

I was never too impressed with him as a PG. His QB potential, however, was unreal. You ask high school football scouts and some say he was the best football prospect they have ever seen. Bobby Bowden is on record saying as much.

Tom McMillen might be one, although he had a long NBA career. Mentioning because he had Ewing-level hype. Cooke was the first name I thought of, though.

Decent playground baller MC Gusto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wakencdukest
    I remember Curry, he played quarterback and point guard for UNC, he failed at both.
    He was a halfway decent NFL receiver though.