Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: The Death Penalty is dumb

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    for sure. if some dude killed my loved ones and was chillin out playing fcking ps3 games in prison, id be pissed
    exactly .. how the fk can a family go to sleep at night in peace knowing that breivik fk face is living in a nice place, being catered to .. now THAT is sick

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    exactly .. how the fk can a family go to sleep at night in peace knowing that breivik fk face is living in a nice place, being catered to .. now THAT is sick
    In norway they also try to hire female prison guards. Most prisoners are male, and it might be too hostile towards them to take commands from other males.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    do you think we should torture people convicted of heinous crimes? after all, torturing is a less extreme punishment than execution.
    We kind of already do torture prisoners. Solitary confinement is a form of torture.

On an intellectual level I know torture is wrong. On emotional level. if some guy like dahmer, ariel castro, james holmes, breivik or sandusky were getting raped every single day I would celebrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Retribution is just another word for revenge, and the desire for revenge is one of the lowest human emotions — perhaps sometimes understandable, but not really a rational response to a critical situation. To kill the person who has killed someone close to you is simply to continue the cycle of violence which ultimately destroys the avenger as well as the offender. That this execution somehow give 'closure' to a tragedy is a myth. Expressing one’s violence simply reinforces the desire to express it. Just as expressing anger simply makes us more angry. It does not drain away. It contaminates the otherwise good will which any human being needs to progress in love and understanding. - Raymond Schroth
    Lol I was going to say, "Finally someone I agree with on the death penalty on ISH", then I saw that they weren't even your words.

Very good NBA starter

The death penalty is only there to satisfy peoples lust for vengeance. It really serves no purpose in a civilized society.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Lol I was going to say, "Finally someone I agree with on the death penalty on ISH", then I saw that they weren't even your words.
    we still agree, i just used someone elses words because my words tend to come out as jumbled garbage

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    The death penalty is only there to satisfy peoples lust for vengeance.
    agreed

It really serves no purpose in a civilized society.
    Disagree. IMO Sometime state vengeance is necessary to prevent vigilantism.

Would you be able to forgive someone that rape, tortured, murdered a loved one of yours?

NBA rookie of the year

Does anyone else think america already tortures prisoners via solitary confinement?

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    agreed

Would you be able to forgive someone that rape, tortured, murdered a loved one of yours?
    Is there any evidence that countries or states with out capital punishment have more vigilantism.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Is there any evidence that countries or states with out capital punishment have more vigilantism.
    no, but you cant compare europe/canada/most first world countries to america. we are far more violent than they are. Our culture alone is far more violent and accepting of violence.

edit: and i dont really think vigilantism would increase, but I think vengence is an appropriate part of the justice system. America's current justice system is plenty vengeful. Eg. Solitary confinement
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 08-17-2014 at 07:58 PM.

no, but you cant compare europe/canada/most first world countries to america. we are far more violent than they are. Our culture alone is far more violent and accepting of violence.
    Agreed, which is why I mentioned comparing states as well. As for your last point isn't a large contributor to a "violent culture" is vengeance in the system. I mean the far majority of prisoners eventually got out with a large majority going back in at some point.

Very good NBA starter

agreed

It's been shown that the death penalty isn't a deterent to crime. It doesn't matter what I'd want to happen to someone that killed one of my loved ones because I don't get to decide. And for good reason. Yes there are people that have forgiven those who killed family or even tried to kill them. Not everyone is blood thirsty. It's senseless for me to want vengeance against someone that has caused no harm to me at all(this is the case for most people that are for the death penalty)

Lefties are funny when it comes to stats. They're all interested in whether or not the death penalty deters criminals.......

But the same lefties completely disregard that the areas with the most gun owners have the lowest crime.

Dead murderers can't commit more crimes. Crime reduced.

It's just expensive to take care of these criminals, there needs to be a way they can "earn their keep" while serving time.

Innocent people like you and I should not be paying to feed and bathe serial killers. That's why I'd rather hang them. Or find a way for criminals to fund their own incarceration.