Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: If we want the NBA>NFL, should the league get rid of defensive 3 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    NFL will always be more popular in the states than the NBA. It's just the culture.
    No, anything can change. It was once thought that blacks were inferior to whites even in sports like basketball.

Many thought they weren't smart enough or would not produce in clutch moments. That was 50 years ago.

In today's media/internet age, we can accelerate change so much faster than years ago. The 24 sports and news cycle will make sure of that.

Default Re: If we want the NBA>NFL, should the league get rid of defensive 3 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    No, anything can change. It was once thought that blacks were inferior to whites even in sports like basketball.

Many thought they weren't smart enough or would not produce in clutch moments. That was 50 years ago.

In today's media/internet age, we can accelerate change so much faster than years ago. The 24 sports and news cycle will make sure of that.
    NFL is the #1 topic in sports media. NFL format just keeps it that way. one NFL regular season game holds like 5 times as much weight as an NBA regular season game, SuperBowl is a far bigger event than the NBA Finals.

Football has a bigger following.

Of course it could change in the long run, but right now, I don't see anything stopping the NFL from staying on top with the media coverage ESPN gives.

Johnny Manziel is a 3rd/4th round talent, and he is top 5 most talked about athlete in the US. That's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    You need to stop worrying, NFL is only popular in USA and your ratings are only USA measured..... NBA kills it internationally, NFL is as popular as Womens Cricket internationally while NBA/Basketball is battling only with the #1 sport on earth, Soccer... I know its hard for you Am.Football lovers to understand, but internationally its really horrible, i mean everybody know what NFL / Am.Football is, they just think that sport blows.... and any rare guy who really can fancy it will end up respecting Rugby more and end up dissing NFL/Am. Football even more instead...
    The only country in the world that cares about NBA outside of USA is China. Toronto is not a country for the retards here that think it is.

The NFL actually does fairly well in the UK.

The US is the biggest, if not one of the biggest sports markets in the world. We have shows in the US analyzing before the game, during the game, after the game, and we have analysts analyzing the analysts. It's sports paradise's, but it's crazy.

The NFL dominates American sports by a mile. The NBA is losing out big time in it's own backyard. All the business infrastructure and networks of contacts are right here, but the NBA is not close to the NFL in audience or money.

If you are an NBA owner, you would clearly want a bigger piece of the American pie.

International is great and all, but it is more unfamiliar, and there are other foreign type issues to deal with, including other sports that are more ingrained historically.
    And your ignorance always shows through.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    And your ignorance always shows through.
    Okay, you win. The US actually has one of the smallest markets in the world for sports, if not the smallest.

You happy now?

**** that, the last thing I want to see is Hibbert camped out in the paint getting away with his verticality BS all game.

The NBA is already > the NFL. The NFL is purely an American sensation with basically zero support outside of the States. The NBA is an international product that is popular all over the globe.

I'd rather the NBA stay #2 in the US. Being the most popular brings all sorts of...undesirable consequences along with it, and I rather enjoy my NBA as it is.

A fair point. But when you watch international games, you can see how a less talented team can stay in a game against a superstar laden team. This happens a lot when Team USA plays a Lithuania or Spain, and can't often times just blow them out of the water.

Now imagine a more even balance of talent in an NBA setting, where there is only one Lebron playing, and the other team only has a Steph Curry, but has a big shot blocking center, this team(Curry's team) may indeed beat Lebron's team in a series, if it plays the right schemes.
    You know that only happens in international play because our players have really never played together before right? They are facing teams that have sometimes played together since they were 18 or younger. Also don't agree with you that it will make it easier to defend and neutralize superstars better. Maybe you forget why the rule was implemented in the first place. Look back at the bigs who would just camp the lane back then (ex: Shaq). No 3 secs = literally no possibly way to guard him.

As for NFL, NBA would likely have the same amount of parity if it had supershort season and one and done format. I would hate that though since the better team wouldn't always win. Way less strategy involved too since you obviously wouldn't be making changes each game. There's a reason I don't watch football.
    Last edited by Dbrog; 08-20-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    The NBA is already > the NFL. The NFL is purely an American sensation with basically zero support outside of the States. The NBA is an international product that is popular all over the globe.

I'd rather the NBA stay #2 in the US. Being the most popular brings all sorts of...undesirable consequences along with it, and I rather enjoy my NBA as it is.
    Football is popular in Canada and several people in Europe enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    You know that only happens in international play because our players have really never played together before right? They are facing teams that have sometimes played together since they were 18 or younger. Also don't agree with you that it will make it easier to defend and neutralize superstars better. Maybe you forget why the rule was implemented in the first place. Look back at the bigs who would just camp the lane back then (ex: Shaq). No 3 secs = literally no possibly way to guard him.

As for NFL, NBA would likely have the same amount of parity if it had supershort season and one and done format. I would hate that though since the better team wouldn't always win. Way less strategy involved too since you obviously wouldn't be making changes each game. There's a reason I don't watch football.
    What the NBA rule was prior to 2002, before the onset of the defensive 3 second rule, was the illegal defense rule. You couldn't play zone in any part of the court. Today, any kind of zone defense is allowed, as long as you don't exceed 3 seconds in the shaded area.

Today, you can play 3-2 or 2-3 zones or any other type of zone, in contrast to the past, when it was clearly illegal. Some teams prior to 2002 would try to "hide" it, but smart offenses would sometimes expose them by spreading the court.

Yes, the new rules were made, in part, to counteract the big man, but it was more than that. I believe, and this is just a hypothesis, that the NBA reacted to the US NT defeat in the World Championships in Indiana that year, and realized that the NBA needed to adjust the rule to encourage play closer to the international style.

Well, it's worked, don't you think?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    If the nba had more white superstars it could rival the nfl.

Let's face it, older white people don't want to watch black tatted up hoopers dominate.
    explain how golf's popularity/ratings is almost entirely dependant on tiger woods.