Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: If we want the NBA>NFL, should the league get rid of defensive 3 seconds?

Making it harder for "Superstars" to score will make the game more popular?

Default Re: If we want the NBA>NFL, should the league get rid of defensive 3 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    Making it harder for "Superstars" to score will make the game more popular?
    Scoring will be more balanced. Superstars will still be superstars, but the new rules will teach them to be more well rounded and share the basketball. We will learn the value of "hockey assists" or passes that lead to assist passes. This is a stat that is wholly ignored by stat fans, but is actually one of the most relevant statistics to indicate team chemistry. Watch clips of the Spurs during the Finals as you watch Tony Parker see Duncan in the post, but passes the ball to Diaw instead, who then passes to Duncan for the easy bucket

Maybe a new group of stars will emerge. Players with less athleticism, but who are smarter and play with a great deal of skill. Once non NBA fans see this, they may be reminded of college basketball and the all for one, one for all mentality of NCAA hoops. The NBA market share will increase.

Non- NBA fans normally complain about the league being dominated by just a few bigger than life superstars that hold all the cards. Teams with no superstar players have 0% chance of winning a title, lets face it.

In a league with no defensive 3 seconds, there will be more parity, and no Lebron or Lebron and his pals will be able to alter a season or off season.

You need to stop worrying, NFL is only popular in USA and your ratings are only USA measured..... NBA kills it internationally, NFL is as popular as Womens Cricket internationally while NBA/Basketball is battling only with the #1 sport on earth, Soccer... I know its hard for you Am.Football lovers to understand, but internationally its really horrible, i mean everybody know what NFL / Am.Football is, they just think that sport blows.... and any rare guy who really can fancy it will end up respecting Rugby more and end up dissing NFL/Am. Football even more instead...
    Last edited by pauk; 08-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Banned

Of course race has to be brought into it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Scoring will be more balanced. Superstars will still be superstars, but the new rules will teach them to be more well rounded and share the basketball. We will learn the value of "hockey assists" or passes that lead to assist passes. This is a stat that is wholly ignored by stat fans, but is actually one of the most relevant statistics to indicate team chemistry. Watch clips of the Spurs during the Finals as you watch Tony Parker see Duncan in the post, but passes the ball to Diaw instead, who then passes to Duncan for the easy bucket

Maybe a new group of stars will emerge. Players with less athleticism, but who are smarter and play with a great deal of skill. Once non NBA fans see this, they may be reminded of college basketball and the all for one, one for all mentality of NCAA hoops. The NBA market share will increase.

Non- NBA fans normally complain about the league being dominated by just a few bigger than life superstars that hold all the cards. Teams with no superstar players have 0% chance of winning a title, lets face it.

In a league with no defensive 3 seconds, there will be more parity, and no Lebron or Lebron and his pals will be able to alter a season or off season.
    Wish that most fans would appreciate team play but the reality is that high scoring stars would always be more popular hence the nba applying all types of rule changes to make it easier for the players to score through the years.
    Great insight by the way, hope more people see basketball the way you do.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    You need to stop worrying, NFL is only popular in USA and your ratings are only USA measured..... NBA kills it internationally, NFL is as popular as Womens Cricket internationally while NBA/Basketball is battling only with the #1 sport on earth, Soccer... I know its hard for you Am.Football lovers to understand, but internationally its really horrible, i mean everybody know what NFL / Am.Football is, they just think that sport blows...
    Yes, we know this, but the NBA is not even the most popular in the US. Not even close. Why? The game is arguably as good or better than the NFL.

The NBA is losing out big time with big money right here on the home front. The NBA knows it too.

My proposal is not really new, and it has already been considered, and it's still in the discussion stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    Wish that most fans would appreciate team play but the reality is that high scoring stars would always be more popular hence the nba applying all types of rule changes to make it easier for the players to score through the years.
    Great insight by the way, hope more people see basketball the way you do.
    Thanks. Yes, fans who are already fans of the NBA like the high scoring superstars, but there are so many fans out there turned off by the NBA obviously. How can we make them NBA fans too?

The current fans will still be fans, even if some rules are altered, trust me. My proposal will target those other fans who love NCAA hoops, and that's a big market.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Of course race has to be brought into it
    Who brought up race?

Krust Kingz

I can understand the desire to be more popular than the NFL but its just has slim chances for it to happen. Although, no one can ever say never. The NBA has made major strides over the years since its inception. At one point it was far behind boxing, baseball, and horse racing.

Now its top 3. Good spot to be in. Just keep doing what they are doing and it will be solidly number 2 because as technology advances baseball will become less popular on its own (which is a shame IMHO its a fantastic sport). Children of the 80's and beyond are instant gratification youths which baseball isnt built upon its built upon a marathon and time consuming entertainment.

I think contraction which would minimize the disbursement of talent would help and development of players technically to match the athleticism would help.

You need to stop worrying, NFL is only popular in USA and your ratings are only USA measured..... NBA kills it internationally, NFL is as popular as Womens Cricket internationally while NBA/Basketball is battling only with the #1 sport on earth, Soccer... I know its hard for you Am.Football lovers to understand, but internationally its really horrible, i mean everybody know what NFL / Am.Football is, they just think that sport blows.... and any rare guy who really can fancy it will fancy Rugby first and end up dissing NFL/Am. Football even more instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Yes, we know this, but the NBA is not even the most popular in the US. Not even close. Why? The game is arguably as good or better than the NFL.

The NBA is losing out big time with big money right here on the home front. The NBA knows it too.

My proposal is not really new, and it has already been considered, and it's still in the discussion stage.
    I honestly have no idea why NFL/Am.Football is so popular in USA.... i really dont think it has anything to do with the NBA/Basketball rules.... they... just... like... Am.Football..... thats it.... for some odd reason... it almost feels like God managed to collect all humans on planet earth with that acquired taste and throw them in US... :P

Anytime NFL feels like it can measure up to NBA in USA and NBA feels threatened, then they can whip out the international card and expand or i mean move some teams outside like in Paris, London, Barcelona, Hong Kong, whatever.... you will then see the real popularity.... NFL will then be seen as what it truly is, just a popular sport in US.... i dont even know why NBA needs to do that, it is already seen.... so... what is the problem again here?
    Last edited by pauk; 08-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I honestly have no idea why NFL/Am.Football is so popular in USA.... i really dont think it has anything to do with the NBA/Basketball rules.... they... just... like... Am.Football..... thats it.... for some odd reason... it almost feels like God managed to collect all humans on planet earth with that acquired taste and throw them in US... :P

Anytime NFL feels like it can measure up to NBA in USA and NBA feels threatened, then they can whip out the international card and expand or i mean move some teams outside like in Paris, London, Barcelona, Hong Kong, whatever.... you will then see the real popularity.... NFL will then be seen as what it truly is, just a popular sport in US.... i dont even know why NBA needs to do that, it is already seen.... so... what is the problem again here?
    The US is the biggest, if not one of the biggest sports markets in the world. We have shows in the US analyzing before the game, during the game, after the game, and we have analysts analyzing the analysts. It's sports paradise's, but it's crazy.

The NFL dominates American sports by a mile. The NBA is losing out big time in it's own backyard. All the business infrastructure and networks of contacts are right here, but the NBA is not close to the NFL in audience or money.

If you are an NBA owner, you would clearly want a bigger piece of the American pie.

International is great and all, but it is more unfamiliar, and there are other foreign type issues to deal with, including other sports that are more ingrained historically.
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 08-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.

NBA should start funding reasearchvon concussions if they really want to take down the nfl scare Evey kids mom into not letting them.play and in 15 years the league is in the toilet.

It will never happen. American football is king in the US. Why do people have a problem with it? Many other countries have sports that are only popular in that specific country. Are they jealous at how big and financially successful the NFL is compared to Gaelic football and whatnot?

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    NBA should start funding reasearchvon concussions if they really want to take down the nfl scare Evey kids mom into not letting them.play and in 15 years the league is in the toilet.
    That's actually a backhanded but legitimate idea.

NFL will always be more popular in the states than the NBA. It's just the culture.