Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Celtics Dynasty - Appointing FMVP Before They Gave One

I saw a poster say Russell - 11 FMVP and it got me to thinking... Who would have won all those FMVP if they had given them today?

From 1987 to 2014 two players have won FMVP without leading their team in scoring. This year Leonard won avg 17.8 when TP avg 18.0. Leonard shot .724 TS% to TP's .550TS%. And in 2004 Billups won avg 21.0ppg when Hamilton went for 21.4. Again, Billups was FAR more efficient shooting .696TS% to Hamilton's .500TS%. Thats it. No one has overcome so much as a .5ppg differential.

Are we to believe that given today's emphasis on scoring a guy who was 7th on the team in scoring avg less than 10 a game on .316 shooting would win an MVP (1959)?

Twice in the 11 title run Bill Russell was within 4ppg of the scoring lead for the Celtics. Lets give him 1966 and 1962 without any debate. But I would argue that there is literally no argument to be made about 57 and 59 when Heinson's lines looked tremendous and Russell scored 13.3 and 9.3ppg on .356 and .316. And literally every other year looks to have another favorite as well.

I readily admit at this point I am simply box score reporting. I have never seen an entire game of Russell's. But these claims about 11 FMVPs are completely unfounded. Havlicek was outstanding in 68 and 69, Sam Jones was great in 63, 34, and 65 and avg 10ppg more than Russell in two of those three series. And Heinson in 57/59/60/61. Which is to say nothing of Cousy who had some great series in there as well.

Given today's yardsticks what FMVP would you retroactively give to who during the Celtics dynasty?

College superstar

Default Re: Celtics Dynasty - Appointing FMVP Before They Gave One

Most credible posters have said that Russell would have 7-9 FMVPs max.

no more than 1.

57 - Heinsohn
    58 - no Celtic has an argument
    59 - Russell (I've heard Ramsey here too)
    60 - Russell
    61 - Russell
    62 - Russell
    63 - Russell
    64 - Sam Jones (Wilt has an outside, outside shot)
    65 - Russell
    66 - Russell
    67 - didn't make the Finals
    68 - Havlicek
    69 - West won (Havlicek if it goes to a member of the winning team)

Regarding 68 and 69 in particular, we had a thread a couple years ago, and oolalaa did some great breakdowns from newspaper archives I'd dumped and shared:

68 - http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=40
    69 - http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...5&postcount=53

I usually hit open layups

The fact that you are basing this entire argument around Bill Russell's PPG goes against everything that he brought to the table. He is one of the best defensive players, rebounders and leaders of all-time. He was never a dominant go-to scorer, that wasn't what made him great. He was still clearly the backbone of the team regardless of his scoring average.

College superstar

Also, several players before '87 won FMVP without leading their teams in scoring. The ones that come to mind are:

Wilt- '72 (If the award was given in '67 he would have won it without leading the team in scoring.)
    Walton- '77
    Unseld- '78
    Magic- '80, '82
    Bird- '86

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    59 - Russell (I've heard Ramsey here too)
    To be fair, we are now talking about giving the 7th leading scorer on the team, a guy who shot 31.6% from the field and 44.8% from the line the MVP. I just don't think that happens. Heinson went 24.3/8.8 on .475 shooting. Literally shot 50%+ higher.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    To be fair, we are now talking about giving the 7th leading scorer on the team, a guy who shot 31.6% from the field and 44.8% from the line the MVP. I just don't think that happens. Heinson went 24.3/8.8 on .475 shooting. Literally shot 50%+ higher.
    That was the GOAT rebounding series. Hard for me to even consider Heinsohn here.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBalla32
    The fact that you are basing this entire argument around Bill Russell's PPG goes against everything that he brought to the table. He is one of the best defensive players, rebounders and leaders of all-time. He was never a dominant go-to scorer, that wasn't what made him great. He was still clearly the backbone of the team regardless of his scoring average.
    I completely get that. I just think that the yardstick is moved enormously for Russell. We can't name another player in the history of the game that is given the credit that we give him. Ben Wallace was probably the best defensive player in the last 40 years. No one talked about him winning FMVP in 04. He never won 1st team All-NBA honors. You cannot tell me he wasn't the backbone of those Pisons teams though.

If Bill Russell were playing today and winning like he did I don't think he gets the respect he should. Yet because it was an era where few fans actually saw games I think he is given TOO much credit for his achievements.

College superstar

That was the GOAT rebounding series. Hard for me to even consider Heinsohn here.
    Like I said, I really have little to base it on. But there is no comparable FMVP to being #7 on your team in PPG while shooting .314//.448.

Like I said, I really have little to base it on. But there is no comparable FMVP to being #7 on your team in PPG while shooting .314//.448.
    PPG is only one part of offense, which is equally as important as defense. Look at the relative ORtg/DRtg numbers. These teams weren't winning on the basis of their offense.

I completely get that. I just think that the yardstick is moved enormously for Russell. We can't name another player in the history of the game that is given the credit that we give him. Ben Wallace was probably the best defensive player in the last 40 years. No one talked about him winning FMVP in 04. He never won 1st team All-NBA honors. You cannot tell me he wasn't the backbone of those Pisons teams though.

If Bill Russell were playing today and winning like he did I don't think he gets the respect he should. Yet because it was an era where few fans actually saw games I think he is given TOO much credit for his achievements.
    Wallace over KG and Hakeem?

College superstar

Wallace over KG and Hakeem?
    Peak Wallace ~ KG (who peaked defensively for a longer period) > Dream.

Wallace was an awful offensive player. But defensively it doesn't get much better.

IMO.

College superstar

PPG is only one part of offense, which is equally as important as defense. Look at the relative ORtg/DRtg numbers. These teams weren't winning on the basis of their offense.
    I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying. Just that no one in the history of the game has been given so much credit for doing the things he did.