One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Ivy Dreams documentary on youtube: were your parents like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghj-myPGls

This documentary always surprised me. My parents were OK as long as I went to a decent university/college. It's surprising how much some parents put pressure on 17 year old students.

Banned

Default Re: Ivy Dreams documentary on youtube: were your parents like that?

that's what happens when parents come from a culture that cares more about status then it does the emotional health of children.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    that's what happens when parents come from a culture that cares more about status then it does the emotional health of children.
    Yeah. My senior year of high school was so different than these ppl. I used to fool around till 11pm-midnight. Look at my homework and say "ahh ill just do it in school." I remember playing dumb so this hot girl would tutor me in a humanities class .

My senior year days usually consisted of playing video games till 7-8 pm. Watch a movie till 11pm. Watch some TV and go to bed by midnight. I only really remember studying for my midterms my first semester.

Second semester of senior year, I literally did nothing and my GPA somehow skyrocketed . I think senior year is the only year I had a C on my high school transcript. I got in calculus. Our teacher was tough, I was legit failing all year (I once got a 6% on a pop quiz) but she made sure to curve the class so everyone passed.

Biggest regret of senior year: Not playing for the football team. I told my friends that I would sign up for cornerback (I play pickup games with a couple of our team's linebackers and they said I should have joined because they needed more corners). Even though our team wasn't great at all, it usually meant you got to hang with more "popular" kids and be invited to more stuff.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 08-20-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghj-myPGls

This documentary always surprised me. My parents were OK as long as I went to a decent university/college. It's surprising how much some parents put pressure on 17 year old students.
    Are you Asian? This shit is pretty typical of Asian parents.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Are you Asian? This shit is pretty typical of Asian parents.
    My family is from the Asian continent. But my parents are very laid back compared to these parents in the video. They weren't as strict or pressuring about getting into an ivy league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    Yeah. My senior year of high school was so different than these ppl. I used to fool around till 11pm-midnight. Look at my homework and say "ahh ill just do it in school." I remember playing dumb so this hot girl would tutor me in a humanities class .

My senior year days usually consisted of playing video games till 7-8 pm. Watch a movie till 11pm. Watch some TV and go to bed by midnight. I only really remember studying for my midterms my first semester.

Second semester of senior year, I literally did nothing and my GPA somehow skyrocketed . I think senior year is the only year I had a C on my high school transcript. I got in calculus. Our teacher was tough, I was legit failing all year (I once got a 6% on a pop quiz) but she made sure to curve the class so everyone passed.

Biggest regret of senior year: Not playing for the football team. I told my friends that I would sign up for cornerback (I play pickup games with a couple of our team's linebackers and they said I should have joined because they needed more corners). Even though our team wasn't great at all, it usually meant you got to hang with more "popular" kids and be invited to more stuff.
    So many Asian kids who I knew, every single day after school they'd have to do SAT prep classes, 2 hours of playing their musical instrument then studying til midnight. And still they'd all manage to get like 3-4 hours of counterstrike, starcraft or diablo II in every night.

I never went to a damn SAT prep class in my life and got like a 2250 which I think is a pretty good score but not sure. Did a lot better then most of my friends who spent all of HS taking after school SAT prep tests. Does the SAT even matter anymore? that shit was easy, a bunch of useless shit questions. Standardized BS doesn't teach shit. Got shit grades like Bs and Cs because I put no effort in to homework. Seemed like a waste of time.

All highschool teaches is how to follow directions and become a worker drone.

Formalized education is a joke, I hate that there's this idea that if a person doesn't go to university he's stupid, or not good. We should put more stress in the US on apprenticeships, like they do in Germany.

I wonder how these kids in this doc all decided to fixate on a school as their chosen school without knowing hardly anything about it.

Their parents def fixated on Harvard just cus its an AZN status symbol similar to a versace bag. Pretty selfish parents IMO, just want to brag about their kid with no regards for their happiness.

I wanted to go to UCLA and wound up not even applying. If I ever went for a masters do you have to retake SATS or is that shit permanent? Are masters even useful if you aren't doing medicine, law or business? Seems like a bit of a waste of money to me.

Feel bad for kids with parents like this.

I wanted to go to UCLA and wound up not even applying. If I ever went for a masters do you have to retake SATS or is that shit permanent?
    Why the hell would you retake the SAT to do a master's?

So many Asian kids who I knew, every single day after school they'd have to do SAT prep classes, 2 hours of playing their musical instrument then studying til midnight. And still they'd all manage to get like 3-4 hours of counterstrike, starcraft or diablo II in every night.

I never went to a damn SAT prep class in my life and got like a 2250 which I think is a pretty good score but not sure. Did a lot better then most of my friends who spent all of HS taking after school SAT prep tests. Does the SAT even matter anymore? that shit was easy, a bunch of useless shit questions. Standardized BS doesn't teach shit. Got shit grades like Bs and Cs because I put no effort in to homework. Seemed like a waste of time.

Formalized education is a joke, I hate that there's this idea that if a person doesn't go to university he's stupid, or not good. We should put more stress in the US on apprenticeships, like they do in Germany.

I wonder how these kids in this doc all decided to fixate on a school as their chosen school without knowing hardly anything about it.

Their parents def fixated on Harvard just cus its an AZN status symbol similar to a versace bag. Pretty selfish parents IMO, just want to brag about their kid with no regards for their happiness.

I wanted to go to UCLA and wound up not even applying. If I ever went for a masters do you have to retake SATS or is that shit permanent? Are masters even useful if you aren't doing medicine, law or business? Seems like a bit of a waste of money to me.

For me, I did take SAT prep courses but I still struggled a lot on the real exam . Got waitlisted at three schools that I would have easily gone to over the college I chose and I knew it was because of my bad SAT scores. Oh well, life moves on

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

thats what typical C students say

"it's not me It's the SYSTEM!"

And you take new standardized tests for grad school depending on your field of study, but the general one is called the GRE.