Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default robots are coming to take your job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

really interesting video about automation and how it will impact human labor.

I rule the local playground

Default Re: robots are coming to take your job

Automation is not an issue. All it does is free up otherwise occupied resources and open up new opportunities.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    What show is that?
    http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/The_Second_Renaissance

[QUOTE=Gr

NBA Superstar

look at grocery stores, more than half the aisles are automated in most grocers i go to. they're straight forward and in n out easy. those are the first i've noticed as the wave of the future, in fact was pretty impressed when i first saw one.

a lot of factory workers are going to lose their automaton jobs too.

lots of people will and its going to create a lot of problems even tho the world will become better, and more convenient.

Well, with fast food employees demanding $15/hour, it was bound to cause a robotic cooker to be built.
    Sex dolls will become more realistic, making procreating among humans almost obsolete. You can already see this happening in Japan.
    Eventually factories and warehouses will only require robots and simple mechanics to fix those robots.
    Banks won't require tellers.
    Businesses won't need security officers.
    The trucking industry will take advantage of automated trucks.
    Even the police could be replaced by more attentive, swift, rule abiding robots.
    As the world's technologies advance, humans will become irrelevant. The only way I see a non-politician, non-doctor, non-Engineer making money in the distant future is if the govt just goes mild Communism mode and gives everyone a monthly living allowance...

That is, until robots takeover the govt, too.

Even doctors and engineers could be replaced by high intelligence robots.

NBA Superstar

good, i'm tired of the dumpy kids at mcdonalds fukking my order up

Quote Originally Posted by moe94

that's why you should get jobs in technology, mainly software development type of fields.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    that's why you should get jobs in technology, mainly software development type of fields.
    Firstly, there is not nearly enough STEM jobs for a world where the unemployment rate is greater than 20%.

Secondly, even STEM jobs will outdated as (in theory) robots/programs will soon be able to solve technology problems w/o the need to attend school for several years, consume immense amounts of food, water, electricity.
    For example, it takes at least 18 years of schooling, food, water and electricity to become a rookie engineer, whereas it could take much less than a year to develop a robot that is specifically tailored to tackle engineering problems effectively.

Thirdly, it is likely that the economy would crash long before robots replaced most low to moderate skill level jobs. By crash I mean a much shittier version of the Great Depression. PM me if you want a better explanation.

Robots are cool.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Some of you are overrating the ability of robots. They can replace labor/physical jobs and all that, but I highly doubt they will ever reach the point where they can themselves will create new technology. Hence why replacing an engineer with a robot for example would be difficult.

A computer only knows/does what it's programmed to do, by a human. If that programmer missed or forgets to program something in, the computer will never know to do that task.

There are many tasks a human being is capable for doing that a computer just can't. My point is humans can never become irrelevant, because robots are made by humans.

The job market will probably adjust over time when labor jobs become purely automated, but the effects will be felt for awhile by the generation that it replaces. If that day comes, hopefully education systems are tweaked to make sure that kids are working towards careers that are relevant.

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    What we reach the singularity doe?
    I don't think singularity is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    Some of you are overrating the ability of robots. They can replace labor/physical jobs and all that, but I highly doubt they will ever reach the point where they can themselves will create new technology. Hence why replacing an engineer with a robot for example would be difficult.

A computer only knows/does what it's programmed to do, by a human. If that programmer missed or forgets to program something in, the computer will never know to do that task.

There are many tasks a human being is capable for doing that a computer just can't. My point is humans can never become irrelevant, because robots are made by humans.

The job market will probably adjust over time when labor jobs become purely automated, but the effects will be felt for awhile by the generation that it replaces. If that day comes, hopefully education systems are tweaked to make sure that kids are working towards careers that are relevant.
    did you actually watch the video? with tools like machine learning a robot can learn to do a lot more than it is initially programmed to do.

anyway, we cant all be robot engineers. even if a handful of jobs are safe the vast majority of jobs are very much replaceable by bots, including many of the high end professions like doctors and lawyers.

I think it is interesting but I have a lot of doubts about where computers and robots will end up. I'm not sure how robots will be able to perform tasks that require complex decision making in the face of ill-defined problems.

Also, the horse analogy was pretty stupid because human employment is vital to a well-functioning modern society. It is how resources are allocated, not to mention self-worth and other psychological phenomena. I've read some interesting stuff about how the Swiss universal minimum wage is a precursor of the "robot age" as money gets transferred throughout society in one giant welfare program due to the non-existence of work but I can't even begin to imagine how society would change on such a fundamental level.