Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Jerry West and Steve Kerr vetoed trading for Love

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus

Sucks for their fans if they really missed out on THAT.
    I found this info from a couple sources but here's a snippet from http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...pson-david-lee
    League sources also say they could've dealt Harrison Barnes to Orlando for Arron Afflalo in conjunction with the Minnesota deal, which would've given them a reasonable substitute for Thompson.
    For what it's worth, I probably would have done that deal, if it's true that it was on the table. Although Klay is a nice 2-way player and teammate, he's bound to demand a max extension and realistically could get a max offer as a RFA next summer. I think long-term it would be cheaper to re-sign Affalo or make other moves than give a guy the max who probably doesn't deserve it.

I then may have gone Daryl Morey and put Bogut on the block. I wonder what it would have taken for them to get a Sanders/Asik/Hibbert type rim protector. Or even Tyson Chandler for 1 season playing for a contract.

I'm pretty sure that sort of team would have attracted some FAs, including Marion/Mike Miller/VC types looking to be on a competitive team.

It wouldn't have been easy to replace all that Klay does this off-season if they traded him for Love, but I think they probably would have been stronger contenders giving up Klay/Lee/Barnes to get Affalo/Love.

GS will regret this. Love is so underrated here it is criminal. So far Klay Thompson hasn't shown anything close to being a great SG. He is basically a Danny Green who has been giving the green light to shoot as much as he wants.

College superstar

Wow.

That's ridiculous because I know I wouldn't think twice about taking a deal like that.

You kind of have to give Jerry West the benefit of the doubt though and it'll be interesting to see if he's right.

Let's be real though. Wolves would have taken Cleveland's offer over ours regardless...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Let's be real though. Wolves would have taken Cleveland's offer over ours regardless...
    That's true, although it seemed if GSW had offered Klay, then the deal would have been completed before Cleveland offered Wiggins, Bennett, and a pick. It could be argued though that had GSW offered that, then Cleveland would have upped its offer to the point of beating the GSW deal. I also think LeBron's call(s) to Love sealed the deal. I didn't hear anything about Curry lobbying Love to only go to GSW. I mean Love insisting he go the Warriors would have killed a deal with Cleveland.

Idk man. It's not a lock that the Cavs will win titles and the Warriors won't, but I think consummating that deal would have upgraded the team big time. At least this iteration of the Warriors is super fun to watch and when they start dropping 3s, it gets insane. Best wishes to your team this year!