Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dunking Data For 1988-1993: MJ is the Goat In-Game Dunker for Wing Players

MJ is the best at dunking in traffic I've ever seen by far. His combination of 1st step quickness, elite leaping ability of either 1 or 2 feet and fearlessness was unbeliveable. Vince's 1st step wasn't as good, Wade's vertical isn't as good, Bron doesn't have the same fearlessness or 1st step, Wilkins didn't have the same quickness, etc.

Sh!t like this...

(sorry to steal your gifs OP)

The fact that there's no longer any handchecking/touch fouls to affect him is why I think he would murder the league even worse if he played today. It would literally be impossible to keep from getting to the rim, he's way too explosive.

Default Re: Dunking Data For 1988-1993: MJ is the Goat In-Game Dunker for Wing Players

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    MJ is the best at dunking in traffic I've ever seen by far. His combination of 1st step quickness, elite leaping ability of either 1 or 2 feet and fearlessness was unbeliveable. Vince's 1st step wasn't as good, Wade's vertical isn't as good, Bron doesn't have the same fearlessness or 1st step, Wilkins didn't have the same quickness, etc.

Sh!t like this...

The fact that there's no longer any handchecking/touch fouls to affect him is why I think he would murder the league even worse if he played today. It would literally be impossible to keep from getting to the rim, he's way too explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by Suguru101
    The defenses Jordan faced were less complex, and weren't as good at containing/stopping the drive.
    @ this drivel.

OP explains why the dunking, penetrating climate is less difficult now than it was then. Perimeter physicality rules, spacing, more camped out 3 point shooters, lack of interior shot blocking big men.

Yes, defenses are far less complex than just 16+ years ago. Some magic new formula for defense was created in this time frame.

Thanks for the research.

This is why I say, everything wrapped up into one is unmatched, and will remain unmatched for the foreseeable future. Michael Jordan’s legacy is the total package and those compared to him look minuscule in comparison from today’s game. Aside from Ali, no single athlete in any sport has ever had the impact that Jordan did from a global standpoint when it pertains to fueling a passion with folks all over the globe and sparking their love for sports. -h**pshype

Mike is basketball royalty, and if there was only one king of basketball, it would be him.
    Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy; 08-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    (sorry to steal your gifs OP)
    oh please do.. i encourage it

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Actually, wait, you have 93-94 it seems, since it has data for 92-93 in the OP.

In that case, we just need:

92-93 (data for 91-92)
    94-95 (data for 93-94)
    95-96 (data for 94-95)
    96-97 (data for 95-96)

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can order all four of them then, since you've already done more than half the seasons.

Looking forward to your top 10. One other thing, you said the 93-94 guide still only has plus-minus for the Sixers, correct (and not league wide)?
    You are correct.. I have the 93-94 guide, which shows dunking data for the 92-93' season.

And the 93-94' guide has plus-minus data for Sixer players versus the whole league and plus-minus data for the whole league against the Sixers only.

That would be sick if the 93-94' guide had plus-minus data for the whole league versus everyone, not just the Sixers...

However, I was thinking that if one were to buy up all the media guides for every team, then they would have plus-minus data for every team - but i would imagine that not all the media guides have plus-minus data, so that might not work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Yes, defenses are far less complex than just 16+ years ago. Some magic new formula for defense was created in this time frame.
    Zone bro... ZONE. Look at how complex and impenetrable the mighty Pistons defense became once they abandoned handchecking and Larry Brown's man principles for Flip Saunders zone concepts:

Watch the whole video for laughs but focus on :14-:15 to see how incredibly complicated Detroit's 3-2 zone is.

http://youtu.be/jDdlEFMIA5Y?t=13s

How Wade ever figured out to do a simple right to left crossover... dude could've moonwalked untouched to the basket.

But the guy who faced and beat defenses like this:

...No way he'd be able to do a simple right to left crossover to beat a 3-2 zone.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    You are correct.. I have the 93-94 guide, which shows dunking data for the 92-93' season.

And the 93-94' guide has plus-minus data for Sixer players versus the whole league and plus-minus data for the whole league against the Sixers only.

That would be sick if the 93-94' guide had plus-minus data for the whole league versus everyone, not just the Sixers... However, I was thinking that if one were to buy up all the media guides for every team, then they would have plus-minus data for every team - but i would imagine that not all the media guides have plus-minus data, so that might not work.
    Gotcha.

My gut feeling is that not every other team tracked it, but would be interesting to check some other media guides at some point.

In before Lebron is the Goat in game dunker... oh wait they (dragic and alts) got banned.

NBA Superstar

If I knew where my 92-93 Fleer Ultra Jam Session cards were I could help you guys out with the 1991-92 dunk stats. Instead, I only recall that David Robinson was #1 that year, though I don't know if that was total dunks or dunks per game.

Jordan's:

MJ is the best at dunking in traffic I've ever seen by far. His combination of 1st step quickness, elite leaping ability of either 1 or 2 feet and fearlessness was unbeliveable.
    In addition to that, he was perhaps the best transition player ever. If he got on the ball in on the fast break it was almost a guaranteed two points or a foul.

Based on the 126 game sample, Jordan was well over 90% in Transition.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    In addition to that, he was perhaps the best transition player ever. If he got on the ball in on the fast break it was almost a guaranteed two points or a foul.

Based on the 126 game sample, Jordan was well over 90% in Transition.

Those percentages in the 126 game sample are amazing - basically 50% or more on pull-up jumpers and post-ups, the shots a tight defense still can't stop.

I usually hit open layups

Cool post, thanks 3ball. I'm certainly not surprised at the Jordan numbers, he clearly dunked more frequently and threw down in traffic more than LeBron.

I would rather see Jordan vs. Toronto Vince. With no disrespect to Jordan, Nique and Doc I think Vince was the best dunker of all-time.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

how do you think he shot 50% fg when he was only hitting 45% jumpers

This only confirms the complete lack of defense in the late '80s. Not surprised at all. LeBron would've averaged easily close to 200 dunks per season in that enviroment.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    This only confirms the complete lack of defense in the late '80s. Not surprised at all. LeBron would've averaged easily close to 200 dunks per season in that enviroment.
    I agree. Look at the sophisticated defenses and defenders that LeBron carved up in the modern era.

vs Jordan LOL midgets!