Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default How to fight depression?

Default Re: How to fight depression?

Mike Tyson.

I actually came here for some input.. not as a joke thread.

Depression is no joke.

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression along with anxiety. I take medication for both. That's not enough though, you really have to FORCE yourself to see the good in everything. I go to therapy once a week as well as see a psychologist.

Get cancer and everyone applauds your courage and calls you a hero and a fighter.

Have a mental illness and everyone calls you crazy, weird, weak etc etc

I'm not ashamed though

Get help if your dealing with depression

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    I actually came here for some input.. not as a joke thread.
    if you really think the off topic section of a basketball messageboard is a good place to get real advice about depression, you got a lot bigger problems to worry about.

I've dealt with depression before. Here's what a lot of close people told me to do...

-Have self confidence. You'll need a lot of it. Don't ever think you suck, or you're ugly...

-Do something that makes you happy. If you like video games, play them. If you like to play basketball or football with friend then do that. If you like movies, go to the theater with friends. Do whatever you think is fun or makes you feel good.

-Hang with people. When you're with someone, you won't feel down. Talking and interacting with people helps with confidence and especially depression.

If it's the real diagnosed condition and not just a wave of the emotion, you require BOTH medication & counseling/therapy.

Combining both of those elements will be proactive in getting this period to be as short as possible.

If you don't take those steps, it is only going to linger and worsen to a deep, dark place and your willingness to help yourself will plummet further as well most likely.

Very good NBA starter

damn didnt know Lebron living rent free in your head could lead to depression

haha
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 08-19-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    Depression is no joke.

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression along with anxiety. I take medication for both. That's not enough though, you really have to FORCE yourself to see the good in everything. I go to therapy once a week as well as see a psychologist.

Get cancer and everyone applauds your courage and calls you a hero and a fighter.

Have a mental illness and everyone calls you crazy, weird, weak etc etc

I'm not ashamed though

Get help if your dealing with depression
    I have some bad news for you. You are being scammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsmasher
    I have some bad news for you. You are being scammed.
    Lmao.

Yeah dude, cancer is a scam too.

I would say, as a start, don't think of it as a fight. Depression is often a sadness inside yourself, deep pain that needs compassion and understanding. You might need to take time learning about yourself, pains in your past that you still affect you and guide your behavior. Depression is often a distress signal sent by your body, telling you to take positive action. It isnt your enemy, it is a hurting part of you. It needs help and love. Corny as it sounds.

What if your depression is a medical issue, and not psychological? Is that a real thing? If it is, what I said does not apply.

I hate the word "depression".... i believe there is no such thing, you are either happy for obvious reasons or sad for obvious reasons, reasons which anybody would feel sad about, reasons which you ALWAYS can overcome if you really want to... its perfectly normal, you are human... and this is LIFE.... welcome to it.... now man the hell up, adapt and prosper, you will fail alot before that happens, thats life, learn from it and move on...

I will let Bruce Lee do the rest:

"“Don't fear failure, in great attempts it is glorious even to fail. Not failure, but low aim, is the crime.”

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”

“If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Not being tense but ready.
    Not thinking but not dreaming.
    Not being set but flexible.
    Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement.
    It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.”
    Last edited by pauk; 08-30-2014 at 10:34 PM.

[QUOTE=pauk]I hate the word "depression".... i believe there is no such thing, you are either happy for obvious reasons or sad for obvious reasons, reasons which anybody would feel sad about, reasons which you ALWAYS can overcome if you really want to... its perfectly normal, you are human... and this is LIFE.... welcome to it.... now man the hell up, adapt and prosper, you will fail alot before that happens, thats life, learn from it and move on...

I will let Bruce Lee do the rest:

[I]"