Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Over 75% of Americans are Christian...... How?

Why are you surprised? People are sheep. In all regards of life people want to do whatever everyone is doing or what they are told to do, without any modicum of introspection.

Default Re: Over 75% of Americans are Christian...... How?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    it's more of a cultural identity thing for me.

Like, my great great great great great grandparents were catholic. I'm sure my family's catholicism goes back well over 1,000 years, probably longer. They had masses, funerals, weddings, the same rites that happen today. I don't wanna be that d*ck that breaks the chain because i think i'm smarter than everyone else.

I don't believe in all the little details; just the bigger points, forgiveness, and treating others how you would treat yourself. That's really christianity in a nutshell.

I sometimes eat meat on fridays during lent, i don't go to all the holy days of obligation, i don't go to confession, i don't go to mass every week, i'm just a run of the mill typical catholic. Very very few catholics know all the details and do all the crazy sh*t.
    My thought has always been, I don't think God would be hung up on the little things. I picture God as wanting us to overall be good people. To improve our goodness and try to fulfill our destiny. And when we fall into bad or evil, I don't think he turns his back on us. I think he understands that we are humans, and we have flaws. He made us, he knows our flaws intricately. Sometimes, I believe you are put into certain circumstances just to learn a lesson, and then your next circumstance will be clearer because of the things you've learned. As time goes, there seems to be a reason for the things I go through.

I also understand that, in my head, I do not fully believe all of this. Is there a plan to life? That seems hard to swallow (no pun intended) when you picture the millions of people without clean water. But I think God would be forgiving of my doubts. I tend to question everything. I think and analyze a lot. It is part of who I am. I think God is paying more attention to the big picture of who we are, and where we are going.