Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Even though I'm moved out my mom wants me to let her claim me on her taxes...

Should I do it?

She also keeps asking me to email her my college book reciepts that I paid for and stuff... Anyways, would I get more back in taxes if I did them as someone who is living on their own and supporting themselves?

Banned

Default Re: Even though I'm moved out my mom wants me to let her claim me on her taxes...

no man. screw ur mom

Default Re: Even though I'm moved out my mom wants me to let her claim me on her taxes...

Sounds like your relationship is questionable with your mother if you have to ask that question. Don't get yourself in trouble.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    no man. screw ur mom
    I don't care too much if she gets screwed or not. I'm just wondering if I benefit from filing taxes as someone who lives on their own (which I do) rather than letting her claim me

hate to knock a man's mom but yours sounds like a selfish bish

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Should I do it?

She also keeps asking me to email her my college book reciepts that I paid for and stuff... Anyways, would I get more back in taxes if I did them as someone who is living on their own and supporting themselves?
    When did you move out? If she supported you most of the year, perhaps she can claim you for 2014 and then you can claim yourself for for 2015
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 09-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.

here's the info on college expenses,
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch06.html

As for claiming yourself, yes this benefits you. It removes $4,000 of income right before you apply your tax rate.

If you are single and in the 15% tax bracket, you don't pay 15% of your income. You pay 15% of your taxable income. This is after your deductions and your personal exemption (this is the $4,000).

If your total income is 30,000 you don't pay $4,500 in federal taxes on that.
    You pay $2,524 because you take off more than 10,000 in deductions.
    See here
    http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_calculator.htm

So even though you are in the 15% tax bracket, your marginal tax rate is 8.4%. Lots of folks don't understand that. Even smart folks here don't know about marginal tax rates.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    here's the info on college expenses,
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch06.html

As for claiming yourself, yes this benefits you. It removes $4,000 of income right before you apply your tax rate.

If you are single and in the 15% tax bracket, you don't pay 15% of your income. You pay 15% of your taxable income. This is after your deductions and your personal exemption (this is the $4,000).

If your total income is 30,000 you don't pay $4,500 in federal taxes on that.
    You pay $2,524 because you take off more than 10,000 in deductions.
    See here
    http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_calculator.htm

So even though you are in the 15% tax bracket, your marginal tax rate is 8.4%. Lots of folks don't understand that. Even smart folks here don't know about marginal tax rates.
    I only wish Puerto Rico does that too...

Now overall your family will pay less taxes if she claims you because presumably she is in a higher tax bracket and thus would pay more tax on the $4,000 exemption.

You sound like a selfish little ingrate. Maybe your mom should bill you for the money and effort she spent raising your ungrateful ass

Did you actually move out or are you just living in a dorm for the semester?

Two-Time Oscar MVP robert de niro's Avatar

it's usually better to do it separetedly, even if you lived with her doing nothing

BEAST

screenshot and record all conversations and report to IRS

you can thank me later. /thread

just kidding, do whatever the hell you want, you moved out.

NBA Superstar

whats your mom do for a living?

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

If she claims you, can you still do your own taxes? If you work, i'd think you'd claim yourself.

If you don't work, let her claim you.