Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog training

Default Dog training

I adopted my dog from a dog shelter around a year ago, and he's very loving and well behaved, although not much of a learner so far. I have only been able to teach him to sit down in this whole year, and it took a lot of patience and frustration. Some days ago I came across some videos of dog trainers using something called a "clicker" for dog training, and yesterday I bought one. Does anyone have any experience with it, or with dog training in general? Tips, advice, funny anecdotes? I'm interested in reading your stories.

P.S. The clicker comes with a manual and there are plenty of videos online, so I know how to go about it. I just finished the first day of training: clicking the thing and giving him a tiny treat after each click, so he learns to associate the clicker with a reward.
    Last edited by Lebowsky; 07-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Dog training

patience and consistency.

shhhhhhh

we have a mini schnauzer. she's very smart but she made it clear long ago "heal" is for schmucks...lol

she sits, stays, rarely barks unless something really has her upset. loves people and other dogs I could not ask for a better dog. she hates squirrels.

but put her on a leash and she pulls like a sled dog, tried different collars a harness deal and the results are the same, walking is her time. Shes a mini about 18 pounds so it's not like she's pulling anyone off their feet but still.

you say heal and it lasts for 10 seconds then she'll stop, turn around look at you, wag that stub tail for confirmation and off she goes like the start of the Iditarod. it's funny as hell because she knows what she's doing and she knows what i want but she's not buying in... typical terrier

off leash shes fine, stays right with you. drop the leash she stops sits and waits. funny dog

Da Mavs

^wow, gts...haven't seen you in ages.

and I think using treats and body language goes a long way. With our dogs we typically just had to force them into a sit position and hold it then give them treats after saying sit as many times as possible.

What kind of dog do you have? Some breeds and individuals just don't take well to full scale training. I have an Aussie-Lab that can do everything and picks up on patterns and behaviour very quickly, and then I have a chow who just sits there and guards the house and doesn't have much going on between the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    What kind of dog do you have? Some breeds and individuals just don't take well to full scale training. I have an Aussie-Lab that can do everything and picks up on patterns and behaviour very quickly, and then I have a chow who just sits there and guards the house and doesn't have much going on between the ears.
    I'm quite sure it's a mutt. When I took him from the shelter they told me he used to be in a gypsy camp and they would starve him and hit him on the regular. He was terrified of everything for about 3 months, to the point he would even pee himself if I would make a sudden movement, but after a while he changed completely and now he's a happy, normal dog. Still scares easily, though.

This is him:

Last edited by Lebowsky; 07-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebowsky
    I'm quite sure it's a mutt. When I took him from the shelter they told me he used to be in a gypsy camp and they would starve him and hit him on the regular. He was terrified of everything for about 3 months, to the point he would even pee himself if I would make a sudden movement, but after a while he changed completely and now he's a happy, normal dog. Still scares easily, though.

This is him:

Good for you for rescuing a dog in need. I believe that dogs from rough circumstances, given time and love, eventually end up the most loyal to their rescuers.

Patience and consistency. Certain actions, done on certain cues, merit reward.

In my experience most dogs learn faster than their human. If the dog isn't responding to something he has learned, make sure you're doing eveything right.

Looks like some terrier/jack mix. Should take well to training. High energy; make sure you play with him a lot.

Buy a couple of doggy frisbees.

   

practice makes perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    practice makes perfect...

Don't know if you still have the dog, but if he was abused the noise of the clicker may terrify him which could explain poor results.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Don't know if you still have the dog, but if he was abused the noise of the clicker may terrify him which could explain poor results.
    Why would the clicker terrify him? Or more so than any other human interaction.
    My understanding of clicker training is you need to do the click and the reward as quick to the behavior as possible so they may the connection.

Watching the Dog Whisperer taught me a lot about how to interact with my dog such as
    the importance of body language and your energy. Angry frustrated energy on the human's part is not going to help.
    Correct the dog as early as you can. Learn to see the early signs of bad behavior.
    When walking your dog, be in the moment like they are. Don't be thinking about your boss or playing with your phone. Otherwise the dog will pick up bad habits.

I trained my dog to walk off leash with me. I wanted to teach her that she is never allowed in the street until I say it's ok. She was an adult dog from the country before we adopted her. I would do it late at night when fewer cars were around. Having her be off leash, made me much more attentive to her because I always wanted her on the sidewalk. She definitely picked up on me paying way more attention to her. I also found out what commands/body language/responses on my part she would listen to. After a while I trained her to cross the street off leash. She would have to wait at the curb until I gave her the go signal and then I had her cross the street as fast as possible until she reached the other curb. I would do this even with other people around and let her know when the light turned green and everyone else was going, she was not to go unless I said so. Sometimes we waited five minutes at a time on a corner before crossing. This whole exercise was probably the thing that taught me the most about interacting with my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    but put her on a leash and she pulls like a sled dog, tried different collars a harness deal and the results are the same, walking is her time. Shes a mini about 18 pounds so it's not like she's pulling anyone off their feet but still.
    Check out the Dog Whisperer on this. He recommends a very short leash and never let the dog lead you. You want me a calm assertive Alpha and let the dog know they are not in charge. Then you have to have enough patience to win. She will try to fight you for Alpha status. You just have to be patient and firm enough until she realizes she's not going to win.

As I was tying this the Rolling Stones' song Bitch just came up on my playlist.

   

traditionally i'm more of a cat person, but i've really warmed up to dogs over the years. the interaction and mutual goodwill is usually greater.

so my brother and his wife adopted an abused dog a few years ago. apparently it was kept in a basement and beaten regularly. but with time and TLC she's become a rather sunny, pleasant animal. anyway, my bro decided to train her on the nose-leash and it worked. (it's also called a gentle leader or head halter)

it's a pretty great invention that works for even the largest breeds. when the dog pulls beyond the end of the leash, it's head gets turned back towards you, making it difficult for it to keep going. but it's harmless to the animal and makes the whole walk an easy experience for all.