Default Were Shaq elbows = fouls?

The gangs at open court were talking about this.

Shaq's defense of that was that as his body spins while clutching the ball (elbow sort of sticking out), of course his elbow must spin too. Anyone that is caught is just unlucky.

Which I understand but is this suppose to be a foul or a legitimate basketball move?

Default Re: Were Shaq elbows = fouls?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    The gangs at open court were talking about this.

Shaq's defense of that was that as his body spins while clutching the ball (elbow sort of sticking out), of course his elbow must spin too. Anyone that is caught is just unlucky.

Which I understand but is this suppose to be a foul or a legitimate basketball move?
    Every coach in Europe tells you to stick your elbow out while posting up, or on drives to the basket.
    It's a legitimate basketball move that he used excessively as nobody was calling the fouls on him and because of his size and strength those elbows did a lot of damage.

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

Default Re: Were Shaq elbows = fouls?

Elbows are always really tough to call because just an exaggeration of a movement by 1cm can be the difference between no contact and destroying someone's face. If it seems (to the ref) like it's a normal maneuver in the flow of the game it should be a no call, such as this link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t9vdw5GRLI

I realize that's a defensive clip, but the same principle applies. Ibaka assumed a normal, clean defensive stance and griffin turned into his elbow at the sam time Ibaka raised his arm. No call.