Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Rate Obama's presidency out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Where's this contraction you are talking about? We haven't had two straight quarters of contraction in 5 years.

We don't let business go bust? 400,000 small businesses went bust in 2009. Worst year since the great Depression.

Prices didn't fall? Gas cost 1.84 a gallon in January 2009.

Point me to where I say prosperity. Recovery is the word I would use and I do think that is an achievement.

Polling on Consumer Confidence bear this out as well

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/char...01&d2=20141231

Yes, you're right. You really do have insight into the US. The Great Recession didn't affect NY City at all. Unemployment never jumped 5 percentage points here. Seriously, take your meds, you're getting stupid.

Yeah, umeployment in NYC is still nearly a point higher than the rest of the country.
    There's really no point discussing this with someone still under the delusion that printing money constitutes real economic growth. The US can only filter its debt onto other countries for so long. The necessary contraction has only been forestalled by such a loose FED policy, and again, it can only be put off for so long. This 'recovery' has already been longer than the average period of time between recessions, yet the fruits of this recovery have only been felt by a small minority. Most people are still worse off and yet interest rates have not been increased (and won't be for some time), so how can the FED respond when the next recession inevitably comes? Lower interest rates? can't do that. Only option will be to print more money - then what? Typical of the kind of economics you profess, your perspective is too narrow and you see only the short term. It's why Keynesians were so incredibly blind to the coming crash in 2006 - so many of them were professing a rosy future, and now you (and they) are repeating exactly the same mistake.

I'm pretty happy. I don't expect anything from Presidents these days when it comes to foreign policy and other big movements.

I want a Dem because I'm looking for supreme court appointments, gay marriage, drugs, health care, science and social funding, etc. In that regard it's been good, and in fact really good in some areas.

Really surprised he railroaded the reds on healthcare.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    There's really no point discussing this with someone still under the delusion that printing money constitutes real economic growth. The US can only filter its debt onto other countries for so long. The necessary contraction has only been forestalled by such a loose FED policy, and again, it can only be put off for so long. This 'recovery' has already been longer than the average period of time between recessions, yet the fruits of this recovery have only been felt by a small minority. Most people are still worse off and yet interest rates have not been increased (and won't be for some time), so how can the FED respond when the next recession inevitably comes? Lower interest rates? can't do that. [COLOR="Red"]Only option will be to print more money - then what? [/COLOR]Typical of the kind of economics you profess, your perspective is too narrow and you see only the short term. It's why Keynesians were so incredibly blind to the coming crash in 2006 - so many of them were professing a rosy future, and now you (and they) are repeating exactly the same mistake.
    then we inflate a little and move forward...like always

People have been predicting doom and gloom over the debt and money no longer being backed by shiny rocks for decades. Inflation can go on infinitely...as long as it is on the 5% a year range it's fine.

we'll print money and print money and print money and print money...down the road a coke might cost $100 and the debt will be a gazillion...doesn't matter...we'll just print more money. That's what it is.

There's really no point discussing this with someone still under the delusion that printing money constitutes real economic growth. The US can only filter its debt onto other countries for so long. The necessary contraction has only been forestalled by such a loose FED policy, and again, it can only be put off for so long. This 'recovery' has already been longer than the average period of time between recessions, yet the fruits of this recovery have only been felt by a small minority. Most people are still worse off and yet interest rates have not been increased (and won't be for some time), so how can the FED respond when the next recession inevitably comes? Lower interest rates? can't do that. Only option will be to print more money - then what? Typical of the kind of economics you profess, your perspective is too narrow and you see only the short term. It's why Keynesians were so incredibly blind to the coming crash in 2006 - so many of them were professing a rosy future, and now you (and they) are repeating exactly the same mistake.
    And we would have gotten away with it too, we would have gotten The Depression we fervently wish for, if it weren't for your meddling Kenesians!

Have fun storming the Castle.

you need professional help.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

No kidding.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I'm pretty happy. I don't expect anything from Presidents these days when it comes to foreign policy and other big movements.

I want a Dem because I'm looking for supreme court appointments, gay marriage, drugs, health care, science and social funding, etc. In that regard it's been good, and in fact really good in some areas.

i don't think it was a rail-roading. The ACA was really a joint effort, only repubs like to b*tch about it. Insurance companies did get some new tax breaks in the deal, but in the end something drastic needed to be done. 80% of all bankruptcies in the country were a direct result of medical bills. Doesn't matter red or blue neither could live in a society where small business owners or people with pre-existing conditions where at the mercy of Anthem or Kaiser-Permanente.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    i don't think it was a rail-roading. The ACA was really a joint effort, only repubs like to b*tch about it. Insurance companies did get some new tax breaks in the deal, but in the end something drastic needed to be done. 80% of all bankruptcies in the country were a direct result of medical bills. Doesn't matter red or blue neither could live in a society where small business owners or people with pre-existing conditions where at the mercy of Anthem or Kaiser-Permanente.
    ACA was a Republican idea via the Heritage Foundation.

If not for Republicans, we could have joined the rest of the civilized world with Single Payer or Universal Health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    ACA was a Republican idea via the Heritage Foundation.

If not for Republicans, we could have joined the rest of the civilized world with Single Payer or Universal Health care.
    yep, hilarious how so many people ignore that it was mitt fvcking romney who was the first to actually implement the system.

the ACA is a lot better than our previous system, but single payer would have been even better. oh well, baby steps.

One thing that I like that Obama did recently. Instead of acting guilty and trying to make the USA look apologetic, dude released one of the most badass and patriotic quote in a while

"That's always the case. That's always the case. America leads. We are the indispensable nation. We have capacity no one else has. Our military is the best in the history of the world. And when trouble comes up anywhere in the world, they don't call Beijing, they don't call Moscow, they call us. That's the deal. When there's a typhoon in the Philippines, take a look at who's helping the Philippines deal with that situation. When there's an earthquake in Haiti, take a look at who's leading the charge helping Haiti rebuild. That's how we roll. That's what makes us Americans."

My freedom boner was about 12 inches long after this quote. So badass

Bumped him up from a 3 to a 4 just for this

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    One thing that I like that Obama did recently. Instead of acting guilty and trying to make the USA look apologetic, dude released one of the most badass and patriotic quote in a while

"That's always the case. That's always the case. America leads. We are the indispensable nation. We have capacity no one else has. Our military is the best in the history of the world. And when trouble comes up anywhere in the world, they don't call Beijing, they don't call Moscow, they call us. That's the deal. When there's a typhoon in the Philippines, take a look at who's helping the Philippines deal with that situation. When there's an earthquake in Haiti, take a look at who's leading the charge helping Haiti rebuild. That's how we roll. That's what makes us Americans."

he had a few more too.

Banned

Ahh man, even when I hear him say stuff like that I get pumped up, still, Putin has zero respect for him and thinks he's a joke, imagine for example an Arnold type ex General badass saying a speech like that instead of law prof Obama.

Just keep Obamas speech writers around after his term ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Ahh man, even when I hear him say stuff like that I get pumped up, still, Putin has zero respect for him and thinks he's a joke, imagine for example an Arnold type ex General badass saying a speech like that instead of law prof Obama.

Yeah he's incredibly charismatic and has great delivery but I don't really buy it most of the time. I think in the next twenty years, the USA is due another all-time great President in the vein of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, or Roosevelt. It's a matter of time

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

It's nice talk. Of course where were we when those girls got abducted in Nigeria? Where were we when the ebola epidemic first started and the leaders of Liberia and Sierra Leone asked for help? Where were we when ISIS started gaining strength or when Assad used chemical weapons or when Russian backed rebels started killing people and shooting down commercial jets or when Israel was getting daily rocket attacks from Hezbollah? People say we can't be everywhere but the president said it's what makes us Americans.
    Last edited by rufuspaul; 10-15-2014 at 04:48 PM.