Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default "Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

"Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

i remember seeing reports like this coming out of the defense department in years past and the article makes a vague reference to them.

i havent read the study (though if anybody is interested you can find it here) but according to vices interpretation, the key difference in this latest report is its use of the word IMMEDIATE... hence the allcaps

nasa has recorded the month of september 2014 as the hottest on record. i live on the eastern seaboard and im seeing it firsthand. its the third week of october and im seeing temperatures above 25 degrees. but anecdotal evidence aside, clearly we are in the midst of something incredibly serious. that remains the case even if you reject its anthropogenic roots.

there has not been a thread on climate change for quite some time. im curious what our more seasoned experts think about whats currently happening to the planet and more specifically, how the international community has responded in recent months/years. the next international summit is in paris next year. expect a great deal of alarmist rhetoric from both sides of the equation; as well as little to no agreements with any mechanisms for enforcement.

but should that sorry expectation be realized, you can also expect many more protests across the globe, in even larger numbers than the hundreds of thousands who paraded through NYC just a month ago.

Default Re: "Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

Pentagon has declared Mother Nature a terrorist, and we should increase Military Spending another $1 trillion a year to deal with her....

We need to bomb the shit out of her....

Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar

Default Re: "Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

Just an excuse for the Defense Department to recoup some of the dwindling power and funds it has suffered over the years.

Good, more money for me.

Banned

September was hot af. I was really surprised, actually looking forward to the cold weather, and it looks like it's here already basing on this last week or so.

I have pretty much given up all hope that humanity will ever do anything meaningful to curb climate change.

Stopping climate change is nearly impossible for a variety of reasons, we are far better off using our time to figure out how to live with climate change.
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-18-2014 at 03:40 PM.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    I have pretty much given up all hope that humanity will ever do anything meaningful to curb climate change.

Stopping climate change is nearly impossible for a variety of reasons, we are far better off using our time to figure out how to live with climate change.
    We?

It's raised 1 degree in my lifetime.

I'll let my great great grandkids figure this one out... They'll have better tech

Also we're seeing the opposite in Texas, just had one of the coldest summers ever.

It's more like global cooling down here...

I, for one, am very tired of this socal drought. Government, please bring back the rain. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Also we're seeing the opposite in Texas, just had one of the coldest summers ever.

It's more like global cooling down here...
    lol no its not "like global cooling down there"

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?TX

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    lol no its not "like global cooling down there"

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/S...onitor.aspx?TX
    That's drought, which is common in Texas

I said it's been "cold" this summer, not dry/wet

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...tures-20140716

^^^Coldest July Days Ever Recorded in America

Been a cold summer for all the US it seems

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...frost-20140904
    Fall Chill Brings First Frost, Freeze and Record Cold Temperatures

^^^ this september

Been abnormally cold this summer

I know it's just the US and not everywhere, but like I said feels like global cooling here

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    We?

It's raised 1 degree in my lifetime.

I'll let my great great grandkids figure this one out... They'll have better tech
    That's why I don't care...I'll be dead before it matters. Not my problem.

It's your problem now and costs tax payers incredible sums.