Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: True/False: Anxiety is only possible because of ego?

The answer to this question is obviously false. Anxiety can be related to consciousness, but it can often be an unconscious physiological response. I would think most mammals experience some form of anxiety as part of the fight or flight response, and some people's brains simply get stuck on that setting (to put it crudely). You could likely stimulate a part of the brain and produce anxiety, just as can be done with the orgasm. Think how drugs can result in negative side-effects; well, some people feel similar to the paranoia produced by weed or cocaine, but all or most of the time.

5-time NBA All-Star

...... wtf anxiety a close cousin of fear a response of the ego?

Maybe a specific social anxiety from what others think of u but that's only a piece of the ouzzle

I usually hit open layups

I think anxiety is anticipating bad things to happen over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    The answer to this question is obviously false. Anxiety can be related to consciousness, but it can often be an unconscious physiological response. I would think most mammals experience some form of anxiety as part of the fight or flight response, and some people's brains simply get stuck on that setting (to put it crudely). You could likely stimulate a part of the brain and produce anxiety, just as can be done with the orgasm. Think how drugs can result in negative side-effects; well, some people feel similar to the paranoia produced by weed or cocaine, but all or most of the time.
    Right... Even some of (if not all) the conscious anxiety is due to those unconscious responses. If I'm anxious about giving a presentation, is that really conscious? Or is that awareness of an unconscious response that will happen? I mean we can try to psych ourselves out of things, or change our attitude about situations, that's conscious... but that response will be there no matter what it's just how you channel it. Of course like the gun to the head thing, the response might lessen over time due to constant exposure... but for someone like me who has a stutter, that response is consistently there when speaking (especially people who don't know). It's never gone away.