Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: True/False: Anxiety is only possible because of ego?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objecivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Brilliant.
    Either debate this with me or take the L.

But sounds like you don't really have shit to say
    Last edited by BigBoss; 11-03-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Either debate this with me or take the L
    Lol ok make your claim, back it up and I'll do my best.

If this is it,
    It's a pseudo science. Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objectivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.
    my reply is that psychology does not aim to tell BigBoss how he is feeling.
    Last edited by ace23; 11-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Lol ok make your claim, back it up and I'll do my best.

If this is it,

my reply is that psychology is not the study of how BigBoss is feeling.

Okay example 1 and try and follow:

Jan caused an incident at her college that prompted faculty to alert the authorities. The authorities came to the conclusion that Jan was not mentally stable and instead of arresting her sent her to a psychiatric ward for 48 hour evaluation.

Jan was exhibiting signs of paranoia/delusional thoughts and hyperactivity.

Dr. Smith a psychiatrist who after observation came to the conclusion that she possessed symptoms of schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder. He prescribed her Trilafon and Haldol, Lithium for bipolar disorder. Xanax to calm her moods while she was released to her parents to go home.

Jan was then placed on a treatment regiment where she consumed said medication daily.

Jan's behavior changed in subsequent months in that she showed lack of motivation, involuntary muscle movements, and lack of enthusiasm with life.

Her parents were concerned so they reduced the medication. This led to Jan having a nervous breakdown and being sent back to a psychiatric hospital, where her medication dosage was now doubled.

Her medical bills doubled.

Big Pharm a $300 billion dollar capitolizes, an industry that is part of a countries economic infrastructure.

Meanwhile, Jan never had schizophrenia. She had signs of post traumatic stress disorder that was undiagnosed and anxiety/depression, but her brain is now so chemically imbalanced and her bodies homeostasis altered from the meds that she will need to be on it for the rest of her life. She's not off Haldol and Trilafon, but is taking Zoloft and and Nardil. This is her life now.

There is so much interlap in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders ( DSM-IV) that misdiagnosis happens a lot, but is swept under the rug due to economic, political, and now social benefits of BIG PHARM.

In a science experiment, let's say finding the vaccine to eradicate Polio, which we did in the 1960;s. THAT is scientific. You either eliminate the disease or you don't.

How can you scientifically determine if someone has a mental disorder, and THAT mental disorder is universal. Is depression really the same between two people and can be treated with the same drug? Signmund Freud once thought cocaine was the cure to depression until he picked up a habit. Why resort to medication? Because psychology is "scientific" and because its scientific its right? LOL

Every single one field of psychology; biological, psychosocial, and environmental makeup have to be taken into consideration. With abnormal, there is a neurological component as well. Psychology is multidisciplinary and the mind is to complex. It fundamentally is not science, but rather a pseudo science. Psychology is headed in the wrong direction and is influenced heavily by big Pharm in regards to diagnosing how the hell i'm feeling or what is going on in my head it's a pseudoscience. It lacks objectivity. And I much prefer holistic healing and ancient traditions approach to mental health. How is the concept of chakras ANY less scientific than what psychologists have found? Anyway take your ball and go home fakkit
    Last edited by BigBoss; 11-04-2014 at 08:28 PM.

Yeah, an ability to misdiagnose a disorder does not make the whole field of study a pseudo science.

Peace.

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13
    as my man Lao-Tzu said:

If you are depressed you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace you are living in the present.
    Lao-Tzu sounds like a dumb ass.

Yeah, an ability to misdiagnose a disorder does not make the whole field of study a pseudo science.

Peace.
    Yep that's right. Take your ball and go home fakkit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly
    Lao-Tzu sounds like a dumb ass.
    Lao tzu is wise

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power"

It is. The father of psychoonalysis/psychology, Sigmund Freud, came up with his findings while high on cocaine. Psychology has led to big pharm and the shift to taking medication to deal with mental issues. It's rubbish. It's a pseudo science. Who are YOU to tell me how i'm feeling? How can that objectively be understood. Science requires objectivity, therefore psychology is a pseudo science.

Fun fact. Did you know that John F Kennedy's little sister Rosemary was lobotimized and sent to a psychiatric ward for the rest of her life in secret so she wouldn't ruin her family's reputation? Guess who advised the lobotomy? Psychologists. Who are you to say that in JUST 50 years the discipline has standardized itself to being a legitimate science? it hasn't. it's so naive to think that. Mental health is subjective and complex.
    It's certainly not rubbish. The medical field has been undergoing a subtle - yet hugely important - shift from a biological POV of patients to a more patient centred one (biopsychosocial). Treatments work not only because of their active properties, but also how the body responds to them. Patients' feelings and mood can be incredibly important in the success of a treatment. The placebo effect. The nocebo effect. These are just a couple of many important psychological factors that must be considered when developing a drug or treating a patient. Not to mention that the feeling of (non-physiological) stress observably impacts physiological mechanisms such as the immune system (inflammation etc).

Doctors are being trained more and more to explore patients' feelings and concerns about illnesses/medications rather than a blanket diagnosis based on medical knowledge. Patients ideas, concerns and expectations are a big part of the framework you are given for how to structure a consultation, even as a first year medical student.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    It's certainly not rubbish. The medical field has been undergoing a subtle - yet hugely important - shift from a biological POV of patients to a more patient centred one (biopsychosocial). Treatments work not only because of their active properties, but also how the body responds to them. Patients' feelings and mood can be incredibly important in the success of a treatment. The placebo effect. The nocebo effect. These are just a couple of many important psychological factors that must be considered when developing a drug or treating a patient. Not to mention that the feeling of (non-physiological) stress observably impacts physiological mechanisms such as the immune system (inflammation etc).

Doctors are being trained more and more to explore patients' feelings and concerns about illnesses/medications rather than a blanket diagnosis based on medical knowledge. Patients ideas, concerns and expectations are a big part of the framework you are given for how to structure a consultation, even as a first year medical student.

That sounds great and don't get me wrong modern medicine/therapy is effective, but i'm still concerned that we live in a society where psychoactive medication from the findings of the "science" of psychology, is the default solution to deal with mental issues, whereas alternative/natural healing (meditation, diets, yoga) is now mocked and categorized as "hippie". How much does big pharm and economics play in this? Why have we strayed? Where are we headed with this?

Lao tzu is wise

"Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power"
    Anxiety is real obviously. Some is future living, some is hypersensitivity, and others can be legit fears. Death causes anxiety. Many people when on a narrow ledge would feel anxiety that they could die. I have felt every anxiety. Social anxiety is the same as the others excepting you can remind yourself "I'm not going to die."

Is perfectionism ego? Your question is too vague I think. I am sure some anxiety is related to someone's egotism (which seems to be how you're using it.) Altho super narcissistic people tend to have less anxiety. So, maybe this... there are different egos. There is a self ego which can be inflated, but its arguable whether after a certain point it becomes a persona ego. People with personas are not as anxious.

So some people care about how they are perceived. All people, I suppose. But there are other anxieties that stem from knowing how fragile everything is. That is, if you care about everyone being happy you'd feel anxiety before each action. The more complex your goals, the more variables, the more anxieties you have.

-Smak

*** it
    Last edited by BigBoss; 11-04-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    You would get a ton of anxiety by drinking a pot off coffee and smoking a pack of cigarettes.

Or drinking a 6-pack of energy drinks

Completely unrelated to ego
    I don't agree with that statement. It's kind of like saying taking an ounce of mushrooms won't kill your ego because it's a substance that is causing it... but ego is influenced all the time and can change from minute to minute, situation to situation, so why should a substance not count? (Just like cocaine/meth/other form of speed might inflate your ego and make you feel better about yourself). I mean of course it's only a temporary feeling, but it could the experience not change one's ego a bit? I think it's all relevant man.

NBA All-star

all I know is that,

you point a gun at someone the first time, anxiety probably happens
    you point a gun at someone a few more times,

at some point the guy might just go right at ya.

or you know, he becomes peaceful with the fact about it.

ego

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    all I know is that,

you point a gun at someone the first time, anxiety probably happens
    you point a gun at someone a few more times,

at some point the guy might just go right at ya.

or you know, he becomes peaceful with the fact about it.

ego