Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who here has a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    lol.

"the performance of the mercedes is actually subpar compared to my honda. granted the mercedes is more reliable and has better build quality, but airflow on my honda is way better so the engine lasts longer. also i can upgrade my civic with a type-r engine that bolts right in place, the mercedes is so locked down you cant even swap out the engine out, which is why it fails HARD"
    Comparing cars to laptops/desktops is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Comparing cars to laptops/desktops is stupid.
    no it makes perfect sense really.

if a mac is a complete waste of money, then a luxury car is a complete waste of money.

Banned

Get the Mac. They are hands down better than PC. I have owned many of both brands and the ones that take a crap are the PC. They are so vulnerable to pop ups and crashing. Ctrl Alt Delete is something you need to familiar yourself with when dealing with a PC.

I can understand the debate of iPhone vs Droid but in this instance there is no debate. Anyone that knows anything about computers will tell you to get a Mac.

All I see is people bringing up price, does that make a Benz being crap. Just face it, if you trash Mac than you probably can't afford one.

no it makes perfect sense really.

if a mac is a complete waste of money, then a luxury car is a complete waste of money.
    Define luxury for a computer.

Define luxury for a computer.
    high end components and high build quality.... the same thing it is for a car really.

I'm actually looking to buy a Laptop right now, but Mac is out of my price range.

high end components and high build quality.... the same thing it is for a car really.
    Yeah? Then why are the macs always gimped with slower components? Seems like the slower Honda performs faster than the Mercedes. Which is why this whole car analogy is moot. I can get a better laptop (faster CPU, more RAM that isn't soldered, etc) for less. So where does the 'luxury' come in?

Yeah? Then why are the macs always gimped with slower components? Seems like the slower Honda performs faster than the Mercedes. Which is why this whole car analogy is moot. I can get a better laptop (faster CPU, more RAM that isn't soldered, etc) for less. So where does the 'luxury' come in?

"i can get a ford with more horsepower than a mercedes for less, so how is mercedes a 'luxury' car? where does the 'luxury' come in?"

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

It's because the performance is actually subpar on the Mac (as with most apple products). You're not really paying for the luxury of having a mac, in reality the 'apple tax' is more so about Mac OS (windows is a headache and a joke). What youre really paying for is the OS's reliability. Granted the build quality on the MacBook is significantly better... however airflow is garbage, thus the high number of failures of MPB's with dedicated graphics cards.

Overpriced as it may be, the real thing you should mock MPB buyers is over the fact that the [COLOR="Red"]RAM is soldered, battery is GLUED and SSD drives use a proprietary connector[/COLOR]. [COLOR="Yellow"]That's where Apple fails HARD... the locked down nature of their devices is disgusting.[/COLOR]
    Wrong.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

The yellow is just your opinion.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

To the OP ....

Don't listen to the naysayers, just go ahead and get a Macbook. You have 30 days to try it out, if it's not for you then just return it.

If you don't like the OS but like the hardware, just run Windows or Linux on it since it's a breeze to triple boot. You can have the best of all worlds.

I don't understand this argument towards reliability for Macs. It doesn't get pop-ups, viruses, etc. Unless you're an idiot, by now you should know how to take care of a laptop's software and hardware, especially if you're willing to fork out thousands of dollars on it.

I would have loved a simple and durable laptop when I was handling my laptop like an idiot when I was younger. But now I know how to take care of it so why pay a premium for things I know are now possible with minimal time and money. I'd buy a mac for my mom, but it just feels like a waste of money if I was to buy it for myself.

My point being, if you know how to take care of a laptop (not hard anymore with the resources available) you should find one with the specs you need regardless of brand name and save your money.

"i can get a ford with more horsepower than a mercedes for less, so how is mercedes a 'luxury' car? where does the 'luxury' come in?"
    Sigh, you're hopeless. You know nothing about cars or computers.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Another thing I like about Macs is that their OS is designed around very specific hardware, rather than PC which can more or less run on just about anything. It's a double-edged sword, it can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

The issue with cheaper pc laptops and all in ones is that less than scrupulous manufacturers will put in components that over time will just straight up fail or don't necessarily mesh perfectly.

My wife's HP laptop's motherboard gradually warped from regular use rendering the computer useless. It was a common problem that effected thousands of her model of laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Wrong.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook-ibook-macbook/

The yellow is just your opinion.
    All new 'retina' macbooks have soldered ram and glued batteries. 2.5" drives are no longer present as now the SSD drives use a proprietary port. Stop defending apple.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    The issue with cheaper pc laptops and all in ones is that less than scrupulous manufacturers will put in components that over time will just straight up fail or don't necessarily mesh perfectly.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/28/...phics-lawsuit/

Apple (sometimes) uses shitty parts too. Lousy airflow, all aluminum unibody case with lead-free soldering all contributes to the really high temperatures in the macbooks.