Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Question Are there any jobs that...

1. Give Weekends Off Every Week
    2. Allow for flexible scheduling for people like College Students
    3. Don't make you work any later than say 8-9PM.

I'm currently working at another shit retail job and wondering why I even do this. It goes the same way at every retail job; everyone stands around and bitches about shit and I do nothing but work my whole shift and end up doing most of the work. I don't totally care that no one else works, but you add in bitchy customers into the equation and then the fact that 90% of my coworkers are women who create drama that they get consumed in, it sucks.

They are already giving me 15+ more hours than I want but I can't currently ask for less because the manager that hired me just quit. Oh, and the one off day I have next week, the day I have three different classes spread out, they created a mandatory work meeting to address all the "drama" these bitches make a big deal about, so I have to go up there for 15 minutes for no f*cking reason on my off day.

Not to mention I'm paid the least there out of everyone but only started like 2 months ago so am not in a position to make demands.

I'm sick of these retail jobs that f*ck me over when I just want to finish up college while working around 20-25 hours a week at a good job.

What are some jobs I should start searching for?

Default Re: Are there any jobs that...

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    1. Give Weekends Off Every Week
    2. Allow for flexible scheduling for people like College Students
    3. Don't make you work any later than say 8-9PM.
    Yeah but they're office jobs and you need a college degree to get one most likely

rank sentamentalist

bitch moan bitch moan bitch moan BREATHE

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

suck it up and work weekends, i used to work at a paint store that was only open until eight, but i worked 9 out of 10 weekends in a row consistently. Such is the life of a part-timer.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    Working 5-6 days a week totaling 36-37 hours a week, paired with 4 days of college for 13 hours plus all the homework that comes with it.

Retail jobs suck total ass and it's gone down the same way at all of the ones I work at. The other two I've had the managers literally pleaded to me not to leave because they knew how much work I was actually doing in terms of stocking shit and keeping the backroom and the store clean.

Most people work within a limit that they set for themselves so that they coast and don't do too much. I don't do that. I'm there to work until it's time for me to leave. I don't even take breaks at my current job and most of my shifts are 8 hours long.

I have no problem doing a bunch of work, at retail stores it just feels f*cking pointless because the pay is complete shit and you're working with a bunch of f*cktards who actually are trying to make a career in retail yet just stand around and b*tch about shit and converse with one another and don't do half as much work as they could be doing.
    Last edited by russwest0; 11-03-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Go wait tables. Paid my way through college.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    suck it up and work weekends, i used to work at a paint store that was only open until eight, but i worked 9 out of 10 weekends in a row consistently. Such is the life of a part-timer.
    I'll work weekends as long as I have a consistent schedule and get off somewhat early.

My phrasing in the OP was more or less wondering if there was a perfect job out there for college students. But I expect to have to compromise somewhere.

With retail you compromise basically all across the board though. The pay is shit, your coworkers are usually shit, you have to deal with shit customers, in my case I always get f*cked with too many hours, and the scheduling is highly sporadic so you never get into any comfortable rhythm.

You're some kid in college.

Beggars can't be choosers. Be happy you have a job and are in school.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    You're some kid in college.

Beggars can't be choosers. Be happy you have a job and are in school.
    Yeah, I know.

And I'm kind of happy but thats part of who I am, I'm always trying to keep moving forward. And also because right now I don't know if I can keep going pairing school and work together for 50+ hour weeks for the next 2 years while I finish school.

I've had 4 jobs so far and all 3 of my old ones tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I show up, don't ever complain about anything, and do my job.

I just don't see why I have to keep being a good worker at shit retail jobs that hardcore take advantadge of me while paying me complete shit.

Just a week ago one of my coworkers got another b*tch fired over a fight that started based on who I was going to help do THEIR job. I basically go completely unnoticed helping these bitches do all of their work while I get paid less than them.

Doesn't Chick-Fil-A always close on Sunday?

Working 5-6 days a week totaling 36-37 hours a week, paired with 4 days of college for 13 hours plus all the homework that comes with it.
    13 hours is a pretty cushy college schedule

if you are a part time worker, and in college, you just have to get used to working weekends, and late shifts. there isnt any way around it.

for a college kid, being a waiter at a good restaurant is probably your best bang for the buck. If you have to do retail, do an upscale store like neimans or saks, or an upscale boutique like hermes or ysl. you won't have to deal with as many customers and the ones that do come in spend a shit ton. of course, you would need a certain look and personality to work there.

Yeah, I know.

And I'm kind of happy but thats part of who I am, I'm always trying to keep moving forward. And also because right now I don't know if I can keep going pairing school and work together for 50+ hour weeks for the next 2 years while I finish school.

I've had 4 jobs so far and all 3 of my old ones tried pretty hard to get me to stay. I show up, don't ever complain about anything, and do my job.

I just don't see why I have to keep being a good worker at shit retail jobs that hardcore take advantadge of me while paying me complete shit.

Just a week ago one of my coworkers got another b*tch fired over a fight that started based on who I was going to help do THEIR job. I basically go completely unnoticed helping these bitches do all of their work while I get paid less than them.
    That schedule is pretty cush man. Thirteen hours a semester is a joke. You have to suck it up.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    That schedule is pretty cush man. Thirteen hours a semester is a joke. You have to suck it up.
    13 ain't necessarily a joke, but it ain't tough either.

It's when you add in a job hiring you for 20 hours a week and then giving you 37 hours a week consistently after your first week working there that shit gets a little tough and feels a bit too annoying to be working for when getting shit pay.

Thirteen is a joke. That's 3 classes and probably 1 bullshit credit to top it off. You should be able to handle a 50 hours cumulative schedule. You're a teen or early 20 year old and have zero real world responsibilities.