Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Top5 all-time defensive players by position

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    92 why?
    Just curious.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    kobe is clearly top 5 at his position, he has a case for top 5 all time. look at the amount of times he was an elite defender (all nba defense selections) its hard to argue. obvi he's not was he once was but in his day he was elite
    Reading this makes me have a flashback to the 2011 year when he beat Tony Allen and D-Wade for the first All Defensive Team. That just not right. He wasn't better than either of them that year. The Lakers were better defensively with Kobe off that floor that year. Bah.

But yeah, Kobe was elite back in the day. 2000 was his best defensive year imo. 2001 was good to if I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Just curious.
    OK
    how about u?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    OK
    how about u?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Before GP, who on the biggest stage held Jordan to 24 ppg on 37% in the 1996 Finals?
    Yea, to guard Jordan I'd pick either Payton or Moncrief

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=312018

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Hmm....good list. How about Alvin Robertson? I never watched him play, but I always hear that he was a great defender in his prime. I need to watch a couple of games of him to see if he can crack the top five of any guard spot tho.

---

But yeah man. Solid list. I can't say I disagree with anything other than after a certain point, ranking them doesn't matter.
    I guess Alvin can also be argued as a top5 defensive SG of all-time.
    He was a great overall defensive player but gambled way too much, plus he had few prime years (due to injuries), so I wouldn't have him in my top5. He was a terrific off-ball defender, beast at creating TO's but, like I've said, he gambled too much for that and wasn't on the same level as an on-ball defender as players like Cooper, Moncrief, so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    Tony Allen is great. One of the best one on one defenders in this era for sure. Probably one of the best I've seen in terms of one on one guard defenders and his plus/minus is great on the defensive end. Even though sometimes he doesn't get the all defensive team (shame), he is usually the best guard defender imo. Iggy is up there too.

It'll be interesting to see other plus/minus stats with DJ in his prime and Cooper. There was a plus/minus stat that somebody that with MJ a while back. His stats were out of this world on the defensive end during the first 3peat. It would interesting to see others.
    Yea, Tony's an amazing defender too, can definitely be argued as a top5 defensive SG ever.