Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Help me decide which company to work for

Ok, so I have worked the last 4 years for an investment bank. Actually i was employed by one of the companies they own, my job was to help administrate 5 investments they have in my state (the bank is located in another state).

I started as an intern during my first year in college, was promoted after 9 months to full-time, 1 year later was promoted again and became responsible for the whole office (my boss was relocated to manage the day-to-day of one of the investments). Now this year I was fired from the company I was on before to be hired directly by the bank, and they want me to move to Rio where there main office is.

The bank as company is kinda complicated, its majority owner owns like 99% of the bank and is one of the richest dudes in Brazil (has around 12 billion dollars). I talked to some colleagues who work in the bank and they get paid well (I will probably get paid around $100.000 dollars with the bonus included for the first few years but people with 7-10 years of company time earn like $200-300k year) but the majority owner is very centralizing, its kinda like a family company, so the management culture isn't as dynamic as it normally is in investment banks. I am very active and not the type to procrastinate and beat around the bushes, i just go directly to the point. So I get pissed sometimes at the way things work in the bank.

My other option was that, before I was hired directly by the bank I was kinda unhappy, the investments we were managing were stalled (pretty much the bank won't decide on what they want to do and people are afraid to decide) so I decided to participate in trainee programs for other investment banks just to see if i would be accepted. This week i was accepted as a trainee at the biggest national investment bank in Brazil which is known for having a dynamic culture and works in a partnership structure where you can become partner depending on how well you do at work.

So now i don't know what to do.

1. The bank i already work for has recognized me with promotions and all, and they already know how good I am, let's say i have a nice reputation as a young star employee who works his ass off (I am pretty young, only 24 years old, all my colleagues are 27-30). But, my ceiling there will probably be lower.

2. The other bank has more prestige and theoretically will give me more opportunities to achieve higher success, but I have a friend who works in their branch in London and he said the environment is ultra-competitive and you can be backstabbed any time by your colleagues. Also i would start there as a lowly trainee where no one will know what i am capable of, so i would have to prove myself again.

Help me out ISH bros,

[COLOR="White"]TL;DR[/COLOR]

NBA All-star

Default Re: Help me decide which company to work for

seeing how all the memories/skills/expertise you have had had been learned through firm 1.

there IS a strong possibility that if you can't let go of those particular skills/experience that you may be butchered if you switched company.

and even if you were to let go, will there be any guaranteed success?

Well the work in both places will probably be similar, since they are both investment banks.

There is no guarantee of success in either option, its real life not fantasy

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Well the work in both places will probably be similar, since they are both investment banks.

There is no guarantee of success in either option, its real life not fantasy

if you want to say you haven't had any success so far.

then I suspect neither option appears to be null anyways

Which one do you see doing well in the long run? Your current employer is a billionaire who owns the whole company so I figure your company's fate depends too much on him. The other bank sounds like it can give you a better deal and is more secure.
    All that said, you have the best grasp on the situation while I have basically your OP to judge on it. You also have good instinct for this line of work so I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    if you want to say you haven't had any success so far.

then I suspect neither option appears to be null anyways
    No idea what you are talking about, please rewrite it in comprehensible english

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Option 1

Pretty stupid question. Your reputation will never follow you. If that's your major concern you'll stick with Option 1 your whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    Ok, so I have worked the last 4 years for an investment bank. Actually i was employed by one of the companies they own, my job was to help administrate 5 investments they have in my state (the bank is located in another state).

I started as an intern during my first year in college, was promoted after 9 months to full-time, 1 year later was promoted again and became responsible for the whole office (my boss was relocated to manage the day-to-day of one of the investments). Now this year I was fired from the company I was on before to be hired directly by the bank, and they want me to move to Rio where there main office is.

The bank as company is kinda complicated, its majority owner owns like 99% of the bank and is one of the richest dudes in Brazil (has around 12 billion dollars). I talked to some colleagues who work in the bank and they get paid well (I will probably get paid around $100.000 dollars with the bonus included for the first few years but people with 7-10 years of company time earn like $200-300k year) but the majority owner is very centralizing, its kinda like a family company, so the management culture isn't as dynamic as it normally is in investment banks. I am very active and not the type to procrastinate and beat around the bushes, i just go directly to the point. So I get pissed sometimes at the way things work in the bank.

My other option was that, before I was hired directly by the bank I was kinda unhappy, the investments we were managing were stalled (pretty much the bank won't decide on what they want to do and people are afraid to decide) so I decided to participate in trainee programs for other investment banks just to see if i would be accepted. This week i was accepted as a trainee at the biggest national investment bank in Brazil which is known for having a dynamic culture and works in a partnership structure where you can become partner depending on how well you do at work.

So now i don't know what to do.

1. The bank i already work for has recognized me with promotions and all, and they already know how good I am, let's say i have a nice reputation as a young star employee who works his ass off (I am pretty young, only 24 years old, all my colleagues are 27-30). But, my ceiling there will probably be lower.

2. The other bank has more prestige and theoretically will give me more opportunities to achieve higher success, but I have a friend who works in their branch in London and he said the environment is ultra-competitive and you can be backstabbed any time by your colleagues. Also i would start there as a lowly trainee where no one will know what i am capable of, so i would have to prove myself again.

Help me out ISH bros,

[COLOR="White"]TL;DR[/COLOR]
    http://www.glassdoor.com