Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Why Does Jeremy Lin Get So Much Hate?

Serious question. Despite how well Donald Sloan has been playing, I'd give anything to have Lin as our starting PG right now. Now, I don't really keep up with his numbers on a day to day basis but I have watched almost every Laker game this season. He seems to be able to score, make open 3's, get into the lane and play decent defense. I don't understand why he gets so much hate. Can somebody enlighten me?

Default Re: Why Does Jeremy Lin Get So Much Hate?

It's b/c of he's ethnicity

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Asian and the unreachable hype that was created with Linsanity.

Casual fans tend to overrate Lin simply due to Linsanity. Thinking he's an all-star caliber player.

Some snobby/opinionated NBA fans hate that casual fans overrate Lin, so they do whatever they can to put Lin's name in the dirt, calling him "overrated", "trash", etc.

Most educated fans know he's a very serviceable player and could start at point or get significant sixth man minutes on most NBA teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Casual fans tend to overrate Lin simply due to Linsanity. Thinking he's an all-star caliber player.

Some snobby/opinionated NBA fans hate that casual fans overrate Lin, so they do whatever they can to put Lin's name in the dirt, calling him "overrated", "trash", etc.

Most educated fans know he's a very serviceable player and could start at point or get significant sixth man minutes on most NBA teams.
    Ok, I can understand this..Its kind've how Andrew Luck gets so much hate on football forums because ESPN is always sucking up to him. I know they're in different leagues as far as how good they are compared to their peers, Luck is approaching top 5 QB status but I always thought Lin was a good player, even in NY. I don't know why anyone expected him to be an all NBA player...

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Forreal, tho. It's primarily because he's Asian.

He got so much hype and has some many fans because he's Asian. It all starts from there: the excessive hype from the media, they why does this average player have so many fans, etc... There's also a stigma about Asian basketball players.

It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player. He can ball, but in terms of skills I specifically want out of my point guard, he's subpar. He's ok at running an offense and he's not a good shooter. He doesn't take care of the ball well. He's big (for a pg) and fast, and he can finish around the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player.
    Explain undeserved

College superstar

i just dont get why there are multiple threads created about him, on the daily. beside him being asian, what is so unique about being, at best, an average pointguard?

the fact his casual fanbase repeat topics after ONE "good" game is also obsessive and creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    i just dont get why there are multiple threads created about him, on the daily. beside him being asian, what is so unique about being, at best, an average pointguard?

the fact his casual fanbase repeat topics after ONE "good" game is also obsessive.
    Well, he's the best point guard Lakers have had since Magic.

Very good NBA starter

He has the worst handles in the league yet pha[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]s like kidbasketball20 thinks hes better than Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Well, he's the best point guard Lakers have had since Magic.

Nick Van Exel? Is he better than prime Derrick Fisher? whatever Fisher's prime may be?

Edit-forgot Sedale Threatt and also Gary Payton(out of his prime of course)...
    Last edited by Dro; 11-10-2014 at 06:25 PM.

linsanity, everything remotely NY related gets hated here.

Banned

The hype he got wasn't even for basketball reasons. It was the novelty.

Asian. Harvard. Undrafted. New York City. Knicks sucking ass.

It was beyond his control, really. Most of the hype came from non-NBA, non-sport fans and media. Don't think his goal was to get the Wall Street Journal writing about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro

Nick Van Exel? Is he better than prime Derrick Fisher? whatever Fisher's prime may be?
    Lol sht forgot about Nick the quick. Pretty sure prime Lin will be better than Fisher..not on the defensive side though..just a more all around performance because of the opportunities.