Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default Re: Why Does Jeremy Lin Get So Much Hate?

Because LOF's are the worst breed of basketball fans.

yes worse than kobe and lebron tards.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro

Nick Van Exel? Is he better than prime Derrick Fisher? whatever Fisher's prime may be?
    my point exactly. casual fans are the worst.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    He has the worst handles in the league yet pha[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]s like kidbasketball20 thinks hes better than Westbrook.
    He doesn't have the best handles but they seem adequate enough. Does he turn it over a lot? He seems to be able to get to the rim but maybe he should try to do fewer moves to get there? He should probably just use his speed and quickness to get to the rim like John Wall does(not that he's as fast as Wall).

Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    He has the worst handles in the league yet pha[COLOR="Black"]g[/COLOR]s like kidbasketball20 thinks hes better than Westbrook.

Liar. I've never seen he's better than Westbrook you dumb moron. You just make up things to get your point across.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    It's backlash for all the undeserved love he gets. He's just an average player. He can ball, but in terms of skills I specifically want out of my point guard, he's subpar. He's ok at running an offense and he's not a good shooter. He doesn't take care of the ball well. He's big (for a pg) and fast, and he can finish around the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Forreal, tho. It's primarily because he's Asian.

He got so much hype and has some many fans because he's Asian. It all starts from there: the excessive hype from the media, they why does this average player have so many fans, etc... There's also a stigma about Asian basketball players.

That's the thing though... for everyone saying "he only got the hype because he's asian" "a black guy wouldn't get this much attention" I'm not disagreeing with that, but you're misinterpreting how he got there in the first place. As someone who's been a fan of Lin since '06, he simply never got the respect he deserves. Our high school team went 32-1 during his junior and senior years there, and he was the reason why. We were state champs, and he was named DII player of the year.

He didn't get a single scholarship offer to another school. Lesser PGs who you never heard of even in college were getting full rides to D1 schools and he was being told he would have to try to make the squad as a walk-on. There has never been a CA player of the year (even D2) who hadn't received an offer to play in college until Lin. Coaches were worried about "lack of upside" "lack of athleticism" etc. He did his work in the HS league and also at youth tournaments but apparently that counted for nothing.

Sure, Linsanity would have never happened if he was black, but he would have also gotten a scholarship to a D1 school and been drafted if he was too. It wouldn't have had to come down to an injured Toney Douglas unable to play behind the corpses of Mike Bibby and Baron Davis, for Lin to get some playing time. Hell even if he was white he'd have gotten a D1 offer.

6'3", good size and strength, proven clutch play, state champ that beat a powerhouse in Mater Dei... if he was a white or black guy he would've been recruited.

Is he a GREAT player? No, not yet. Is he amazing? The next Nash? No. Is he a top 5 PG? No. But he is a good player who has earned his spot in the league and all the comments of "he's trash/a scrub/doesn't belong in the NBA" is just ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    He doesn't have the best handles but they seem adequate enough. Does he turn it over a lot? He seems to be able to get to the rim but maybe he should try to do fewer moves to get there? He should probably just use his speed and quickness to get to the rim like John Wall does(not that he's as fast as Wall).
    He has games where he's giving the ball away like a hot potato to the other team. Bad tendency to drive into the paint and pick up the dribble, or sometimes even jump in the air without an out, leading to a TO or close to one.

He's an underrated 3pt shooter (as in he's a good 3pt shooter, not excellent) and his PnR ability is quite underrated as well. He also elevates the games of his teammates, he never "gets his" at the expense of the team. It remains to be seen whether he's a capable starter but I have no doubt he can remain one of the better 6th men in the league.

In a game where all cylinders are firing, he can limit his TOs, score 25 points, and dish out 8+ assists. If he doesn't learn to "play in control" this year then I'm not sure he ever will, but there is a chance.

Oh, and if you give him confidence and a big man who can go up and get it and the coach's OK, (Chandler in NY) you should prepare for Lobsanity.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 11-10-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    That's the thing though... for everyone saying "he only got the hype because he's asian" "a black guy wouldn't get this much attention" I'm not disagreeing with that, but you're misinterpreting how he got there in the first place. As someone who's been a fan of Lin since '06, he simply never got the respect he deserves. Our high school team went 32-1 during his junior and senior years there, and he was the reason why. We were state champs, and he was named DII player of the year.

He didn't get a single scholarship offer to another school. Lesser PGs who you never heard of even in college were getting full rides to D1 schools and he was being told he would have to try to make the squad as a walk-on. There has never been a CA player of the year (even D2) who hadn't received an offer to play in college until Lin. Coaches were worried about "lack of upside" "lack of athleticism" etc. He did his work in the HS league and also at youth tournaments but apparently that counted for nothing.

Sure, Linsanity would have never happened if he was black, but he would have also gotten a scholarship to a D1 school and been drafted if he was too. It wouldn't have had to come down to an injured Toney Douglas unable to play behind the corpses of Mike Bibby and Baron Davis, for Lin to get some playing time. Hell even if he was white he'd have gotten a D1 offer.

6'3", good size and strength, proven clutch play, state champ that beat a powerhouse in Mater Dei... if he was a white or black guy he would've been recruited.

Is he a GREAT player? No, not yet. Is he amazing? The next Nash? No. Is he a top 5 PG? No. But he is a good player who has earned his spot in the league and all the comments of "he's trash/a scrub/doesn't belong in the NBA" is just ludicrous.

He has games where he's giving the ball away like a hot potato to the other team. Bad tendency to drive into the paint and pick up the dribble, or sometimes even jump in the air without an out, leading to a TO or close to one.

He's an underrated 3pt shooter (as in he's a good 3pt shooter, not excellent) and his PnR ability is quite underrated as well. He also elevates the games of his teammates, he never "gets his" at the expense of the team. It remains to be seen whether he's a capable starter but I have no doubt he can remain one of the better 6th men in the league.

In a game where all cylinders are firing, he can limit his TOs, score 25 points, and dish out 8+ assists. If he doesn't learn to "play in control" this year then I'm not sure he ever will, but there is a chance.

Oh, and if you give him confidence and a big man who can go up and get it and the coach's OK, (Chandler in NY) you should prepare for Lobsanity.
    Excellent post and info. I'm sure most of us did not really know about his HS success and you make good points which I agree with. Thank you.

Local High School Star strifed169's Avatar

cause of fgts like kidbasketball

Also, I didn't realize how many topics kidbasketball had started about Lin before I made this...Its only from seeing what other's said that I actually went and looked and he does have some threads about Lin...But I've always liked Lin and always wondered this.....I'm sure I've asked the question in various threads before.....

I just don't like how much of a hype machine he became. And lets be real, it's all because of his race and going off in a 10+ game span back in 2012.

He's an average at best PG, but he gets praised like he's something else. And worst of all, his fan base defend him through all his flaws.

If I'm out of a line, tell me stop. But I don't what so great about the kid. If he becomes a good player, cool. I'll be happy he proved me wrong. Just don't see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I just don't like how much of a hype machine he became. And lets be real, it's all because of his race and going off in a 10+ game span back in 2012.

He's an average at best PG, but he gets praised like he's something else. And worst of all, his fan base defend him through all his flaws.

If I'm out of a line, tell me stop. But I don't what so great about the kid. If he becomes a good player, cool. I'll be happy he proved me wrong. Just don't see it happening though.
    I agree with you mostly but I think he's already a good player...Maybe makes too many turnovers but I think he's a good player, maybe not the prototypical PG...But I'm not sure if he shoots well enough, is good enough off-ball to play SG....

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Forreal, tho. It's primarily because he's Asian.

He got so much hype and has some many fans because he's Asian. It all starts from there: the excessive hype from the media, they why does this average player have so many fans, etc... There's also a stigma about Asian basketball players.
    That doesn't sound like a reason to hate him. It sounds like a reason to hate the media. What did he do himself to deserve hate? Have a great start to his career?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

because hes white

I don't know why he gets hate for Linsanity.

Linsanity was ****ing AWESOME. If you hated Linsanity, you're not a basketball fan or you're a racist. Real talk.

Local High School Star

Yeah man, i mean wesley johnson sucks ball 3 times more than Lin (At least Lin puts up good performances time to time), but wesley never gets metioned or hated around here.

Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strifed169
    cause of fgts like kidbasketball

Who are you I've never seen you post in my life