Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default ESPN: Lebron's "right way" era vs. Kobe's "hero ball"

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...f-kobes-legacy

Excerpt:

But beyond that, the game has also changed, and for that, consider the ending of Game 1 of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons.

Cavaliers star LeBron James drove into the lane and passed to a wide open Donyell Marshall in the right corner for a potential, game-tying 3-pointer with 5.9 seconds left rather than taking the shot himself.

Marshall missed, the Pistons won and James was bombarded with criticism after, which essentially stated that Bryant and Jordan -- two old-school, hero-ball gunners -- never would've passed in that situation, that if he were a real winner, a true champion like them, then he would have had the chutzpah to take that shot with the game on the line.

"I go for the winning play," the then-22-year-old James said after. "If two guys come at you, and your teammate is open, then give it up. Simple as that."

Although that ideology ran counter to culturally accepted notions instilled by numerous game-winners from Jordan and Bryant, it represented an idea that would take hold in coming years, especially during the analytics movement, when the game was dissected like never before.

The winning play is the smartest play, even if it isn't the gutsiest play. The quality of shots is as important -- if not more important -- than the quantity. Efficiency is the emphasis, the measuring stick for possessions, players and teams.

The end result is basketball is being played smarter, more efficiently and more selflessly than at any point in the game's history. For proof, rewatch how the San Antonio Spurs surgically dismantled James and the Miami Heat in the 2014 Finals with precision passing that led to numerous wide-open shots, such as Marshall's.

There are still stars who fill up the stat sheet, but hero-ball gunners who are counted on to take a ton of shots, especially the final shot, no matter whether double- or triple-teamed, are few and fewer. In fact, Scott recently called Kobe Bean Bryant "the last of a dying breed."
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 11-15-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN: Lebron's "right way" era vs. Kobe's "hero ball"

didn't read typical ESPN anti kobe pro lebron propaganda

you gotta take them in order to make them

nothin more needs to be said

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    Although that ideology ran counter to culturally accepted notions instilled by numerous game-winners from Jordan and Bryant, it represented an idea that would take hold in coming years, especially during the analytics movement, when the game was dissected like never before.
    that's the age we live in now, exemplified by Obama's statement "you didn't build that"

it ain't about doing what you can and being the best, it's about stacking the right team and getting the right network so you don't have to be the best or do the work

In this day and age, concepts like heroism and perseverence become quaint throwaway and punchlines in shitty ESPN articles

So yea Kobe might have the most misses, but at least he owns that. as for Lebron's 2 rings? he didn't build that
    Last edited by STATUTORY; 11-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.

i smell a zero fg attempts game coming from kobe really soon. the season is lost, let the man keep chucking. i'd rather him be in street cloth for the season, but we all know that is not in kobe's dna.

Kobe got 14 reasons why he disagrees

Quote Originally Posted by AirFederer
    Kobe got 14 reasons why he disagrees
    he also has 25,000,000 reasons why he doesn't give a rat's asss.

I take everything said from ESPN outlet with a huge grain of salt when it comes to Kobe it's quite obvious the network hates the guy guts and down plays his career at any opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    I take everything said from ESPN outlet with a huge grain of salt when it comes to Kobe it's quite obvious the network hates the guy guts and down plays his career at any opportunity.

This bunch of idiots

Even MJ gave it up to Steve Kerr.

[I]You know what's the number one killer of a team that

Banned

Excerpt:

But beyond that, the game has also changed, and for that, consider the ending of Game 1 of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Detroit Pistons.

Cavaliers star LeBron James drove into the lane and passed to a wide open Donyell Marshall in the right corner for a potential, game-tying 3-pointer with 5.9 seconds left rather than taking the shot himself.

Marshall missed, the Pistons won and James was bombarded with criticism after, which essentially stated that Bryant and Jordan -- two old-school, hero-ball gunners -- never would've passed in that situation, that if he were a real winner, a true champion like them, then he would have had the chutzpah to take that shot with the game on the line.

"I go for the winning play," the then-22-year-old James said after. "If two guys come at you, and your teammate is open, then give it up. Simple as that."

The winning play is the smartest play, even if it isn't the gutsiest play. The quality of shots is as important -- if not more important -- than the quantity. Efficiency is the emphasis, the measuring stick for possessions, players and teams.

The end result is basketball is being played smarter, more efficiently and more selflessly than at any point in the game's history. For proof, rewatch how the San Antonio Spurs surgically dismantled James and the Miami Heat in the 2014 Finals with precision passing that led to numerous wide-open shots, such as Marshall's.

There are still stars who fill up the stat sheet, but hero-ball gunners who are counted on to take a ton of shots, especially the final shot, no matter whether double- or triple-teamed, are few and fewer. In fact, Scott recently called Kobe Bean Bryant "the last of a dying breed."
    Who wrote this tripe?

As to the bold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cS5uDMErOE

That was a pivotal moment in a Finals series. But Jordan would never pass in that situation like Bron did to Donyell Marshall en route to being swept in the finals
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 11-15-2014 at 02:07 PM.

I believe the game is changing before our eyes.

So the premise of the last couple of paragraphs in the article is very interesting to me. Doing the "right play", as opposed to "hero ball", which the Spurs used to win the NBA title.

First of all, do you guys agree the "right way" is better than "hero ball"? If so, was Lebron one of the first of the superstars to use the "right way" extensively in recent years?

Do you agree with Scott that Kobe is the "last of a dying breed"? Is this good for the game? Is the game today being played at a much higher level of efficiency due to analytics, as the article suggests?

During the Spurs run at the title last year, I created a post," Are the Spurs about to end "hero ball"? I like this article as proof that the Spurs indeed opened some eyes, but the article also suggests that Lebron is one of a new breed in the last few years who has led a "right way" approach to basketball.

the end result of the "right way" is 2/5

hero ball aka MJ and Kobe ball is 11/13

LeBron (at times) plays "hero ball" too

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    LeBron (at times) plays "hero ball" too
    Good point. Yes, he does. It seems Jordan/ AI/ Kobe is one school of "hero ball". It's 90's -early 2000s type of "hero ball" .

Lebron's "hero ball" is of a more moderate school of this type of hoops.

The Spurs have taken the "right way" to a new level completely.
    Last edited by Dr.J4ever; 11-15-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Banned

I believe the game is changing before our eyes.

So the premise of the last couple of paragraphs in the article is very interesting to me. Doing the "right play", as opposed to "hero ball", which the Spurs used to win the NBA title.

First of all, do you guys agree the "right way" is better than "hero ball"? If so, was Lebron one of the first of the superstars to use the "right way" extensively in recent years?

Do you agree with Scott that Kobe is the "last of a dying breed"? Is this good for the game? Is the game today being played at a much higher level of efficiency due to analytics, as the article suggests?

During the Spurs run at the title last year, I created a post," Are the Spurs about to end "hero ball"? I like this article as proof that the Spurs indeed opened some eyes, but the article also suggests that Lebron is one of a new breed in the last few years who has led a "right way" approach to basketball.

The Bulls playing 'hero ball' averaged more assists per game than the Spurs last year in 4 out of their 6 Championship years while playing at slower paces. If anything, a team like the Spurs isn't doing anything new or revolutionary... they're playing more like a team from the mid 80s (think a homeless man's version of the Showtime Lakers or Larry's Celtics).

These nigguhs acting like passing the ball is some new, never before heard of concept