Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: What does Jeremy Lin need to return to Linsanity?

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    I don't get the Lin hate. I just don't.

He's the only asian in the NBA currently (unless there's some 7+ foot Chinese guy riding the bench somewhere I don't know about) and the only Asian in how long to play a guard position.

As a half asian myself, I think Lin is great for basketball and all fans should support him. The more exposure for the NBA in all races and cultures the better for the league and fans.

Not taking anything away from Yao, who was highly skilled, but most of these Asian pro ballers are 7+ feet tall with so so skills and the average kid doesn't really look up to them. Lin is approachable to these kids and he's a positive influence.

He's a real life feel good story that we all had the privilege of experiencing. So maybe he never becomes a top pg in the league. He still belongs.
    He's a guy who had a stretch of good games three years ago. That was an awesome story and really good for the league and basketball in general. The problem was that when he came back down to earth it was revealed that he's just barely an average bench player. All of the hate and backlash came from people mistakenly thinking that that small sample size of games were a real representation of his basketball value. Houston signed him for their fa base not for basketball reasons and McHale wasn't going for that. I have no problems with Lin but I wouldnt take him on my team at any salary if I were a GM. He's not a bad guy but he's just not that good. It's nothing personal and if he were skilled then I would think he was good. I know he works hard and I appreciate that but so do lots of other players who aren't that good. He still is missing a lot from his game. I haven't really seen him improve on simple things like taking care of the ball, or slowing down and making better decisions or becoming a better shooter and passer. The hate just comes from the overreaction of Asian American fans about this guy calling him "elite" and "an all star" etc. I can also appreciate that it made them feel good and validated as athletes. Like when Liu Xiang won the gold in hurdles and he himself said something to the effect that this would hopefully help make Asians believe that they can be good athletes. The problem w Lin is that it went way too far just so overboard it was ridiculous.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

the 7 dragon balls

Learning to shoot layups supercybergeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    He needs to stop playing like hes asian

not possible. a japanese man like lin has small eyese which gives them poor court vision and so he struggles making the right plays

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

He needs Kobe to start passing. Kobe should draw some attention to get guys open and then pass it. Lin would flourish with a player like Rubio running two point guards, then he'd return to form as a backup to Rubio. Come to Minnesota Lin. We're short on point guards.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    He's a guy who had a stretch of good games three years ago. That was an awesome story and really good for the league and basketball in general. The problem was that when he came back down to earth it was revealed that he's just barely an average bench player. All of the hate and backlash came from people mistakenly thinking that that small sample size of games were a real representation of his basketball value. Houston signed him for their fa base not for basketball reasons and McHale wasn't going for that. I have no problems with Lin but I wouldnt take him on my team at any salary if I were a GM. He's not a bad guy but he's just not that good. It's nothing personal and if he were skilled then I would think he was good. I know he works hard and I appreciate that but so do lots of other players who aren't that good. He still is missing a lot from his game. I haven't really seen him improve on simple things like taking care of the ball, or slowing down and making better decisions or becoming a better shooter and passer. The hate just comes from the overreaction of Asian American fans about this guy calling him "elite" and "an all star" etc. I can also appreciate that it made them feel good and validated as athletes. Like when Liu Xiang won the gold in hurdles and he himself said something to the effect that this would hopefully help make Asians believe that they can be good athletes. The problem w Lin is that it went way too far just so overboard it was ridiculous.
    People here swore he was elite. I mean check out his stats (handful of games), elite production. So he has to be an elite player right? Just got to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    People here swore he was elite. I mean check out his stats (handful of games), elite production. So he has to be an elite player right? Just got to be.
    hall of famer no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I think there are definitely flashes of brilliance that show he is capable of elite-level production. He tends to perform on that level when he's handed the reins of a team (i.e. see NYK days with Melo injured, Rockets when Harden was out).

Because his play is so predicated upon ball movement and teamwork, he's much more of a systems-player who can be elite given the right conditions. That's what makes it so difficult to find a balance with ball dominant SGs and SFs for Lin.

WHO said Lin was elite? WHO? I wanna see some names because no one was saying that (except for trolls or hardcore LOFs and they're all but gone now).

He's averages double figure scoring in every season he's had significant minutes, including this season so far.

That's not scrub production. He is what he is...somewhere between a legit starter and bench player. Still better than 99.999999% of the ****ing planet.

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

WHO said Lin was elite? WHO? I wanna see some names because no one was saying that (except for trolls or hardcore LOFs and they're all but gone now).

He's averages double figure scoring in every season he's had significant minutes, including this season so far.

That's not scrub production. He is what he is...somewhere between a legit starter and bench player. Still better than 99.999999% of the ****ing planet.
    Is James Harden still preventing Lin from reaching his full potential, LOF?

Quote Originally Posted by YouGotServed
    Is James Harden still preventing Lin from reaching his full potential, LOF?
    He's too busy cementing himself as the ugliest offensive player in the history of the game.

Calm down. KidBasketball or whatever his name is has called him elite a million times. Lots of posters have called him that. He's not a legit starter. He is a bench player. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. He's not somewhere between anything. He's an average bench player. He's not an above average sixth man by any stretch of the imagination.

Jeremy Lin beat you Kidbasketball20's Avatar

Calm down. KidBasketball or whatever his name is has called him elite a million times. Lots of posters have called him that. He's not a legit starter. He is a bench player. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. He's not somewhere between anything. He's an average bench player. He's not an above average sixth man by any stretch of the imagination.
    I said potentially elite. He needs the right system, and he has games where Yes he DOES look elite.

But he is incredibly inconsistent.

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

He's too busy cementing himself as the ugliest offensive player in the history of the game.
    I agree. His game against GSW yesterday was lol worthy. Don't lose hope doe, LOF.

He's better than starters like Calderon, Austin Rivers, George Hill, Felton, Nelson, and he's younger than all of them except for Rivers, I think.

And he's still better than any PG the Lakers have right now, by far.

His problem is inconsistency. Guess what...he's still a young player in terms of experience and this is his third team where he's had major minutes. People so quick to close the book on the guy.

I admit, I'm disappointed in him so far this season...but there's no denying that playing next to a mindless chucking Kobe sure isn't helping him.