Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Default Re: Marc Gasol is the frontrunner for MVP so far this season

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Why are australians so cynical and grumpy?
    I'm Australian, trust me we aren't all like that

I fail to see how the MVP a is a meaningless award? It's the highest individual honour except for finals MVP and second only to a ring or finals MVP.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic731

I fail to see how the MVP a is a meaningless award? It's the highest individual honour except for finals MVP and second only to a ring or finals MVP.
    Since 1980 the MVP has been voted on by the media.

take a look at who voted for MVP last year.

MVPs are meaningless imo

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    Since 1980 the MVP has been voted on by the media.

take a look at who voted for MVP last year.

MVPs are meaningless imo
    Go watch Kevin Durant's acceptance speech and tell me they are meaningless.

It holds sentimental value, especially to the player, no one's denying that, but in terms of career impacting value, it's worthless.
    Kobe's the same player with his one MVP or without any, LeBron's the same player with his 4 mvps or without any, same goes for everybody else who has won after it became a media award.
    People with obvious biases that they express in everyday articles vote on this award, think about that for a sec.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

lol did not know you were going for emotional meaningful, I thought you were going for basketball rankings.

Right now you'd have to have him up there. Personally I'd be picking between either him or Curry, but it's still only December and a lot can happen from now until the end of the season. As good as the Brow's been you've got to be on a winning team to really win the award, I just hope Marc can get a bit of a publicity push to at least give him a chance

High School Varsity 6th Man

So i guess im the only one who thinks marc gasols season is being overrated. People talking about eye test? Please watch steph curry and marc gasol play and tell me who looks like the better player. And to the guy who said hes more important to mem than davis is to nop... Kill yoself

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kells333
    So i guess im the only one who thinks marc gasols season is being overrated. People talking about eye test? Please watch steph curry and marc gasol play and tell me who looks like the better player. And to the guy who said hes more important to mem than davis is to nop... Kill yoself
    The thing that seperated Marc from Curry is that they grizzlies are running their offense through him and he's anchoring their elite defense. Curry is all offense.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Im just under the impression that any good passing big man could do what he does. Just most teams dont consistently run sets where big man controls the offense from high post.

College superstar brooks_thompson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kells333
    Im just under the impression that any good passing big man could do what he does. Just most teams dont consistently run sets where big man controls the offense from high post.
    That is so not true. That said, y'all know how MVP works. It is gonna be the best player on one of the top 5 or so teams record-wise.

1a. Harden
    1b. Curry
    3. Gasol

I think that's the closest to an objective consensus thus far.

Edit: speak of the devil. A front page thread confirms this.
    Last edited by brooks_thompson; 12-18-2014 at 10:17 AM.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    It's the same guy? AussieG~aussieguy...
    haha.. no

I care about the MVP usually, I cared when Barkley won it, or MJ or Shaq etc.

Just trying to reflect that this Grizz team doesn't have just one guy, and there's no one on the team that tries to chase those kind of awards. The closest is trying to get an All Star spot, but even then.. it's not a big thing. They aren't going to get butt hurt if they miss out on any of these things.

It's part of what makes them unpopular in the media to talk about, they are hard to hype up. You won't see many of them on TV commercials selling cars or phones, but it's what also makes them a good team. They share the load and care about the team instead of individual things. They even take pay cuts to play together. They make each other better and have fun playing.. instead of situations like LA with Dwight vs Kobe vs GM vs Pau etc etc. AI lasted 3 games on this team but VC is fitting in better.

Against the Warrors the other day, the crowd started chanting MVP for Gasol (first time I can remember a Memphis crowd do that for a home player) and he missed both FT's.

But I've been saying that Gasol is the true MVP of the Grizz since about 2010, so it's nice to see him get some recognition and respect for his game.
    Last edited by AussieG; 12-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    Forget the numbers and just watch the games. This team was really bad without him last year.

Well last year isn't this year. I'll admit, haven't seen much of their games this year. And sure, numbers don't always capture impact completely. With that said, numbers do mean SOMETHING. I'm pretty sure no MVP has won it with the kind of numbers Gasol is putting up. In fact, I'm pretty sure every MVP has put up at least 24+ ppg, 10+ rpg, OR 10+ apg. Marc Gasol falls considerably short of all those numbers. I really don't see how a center in general could win MVP without even averaging 10 rpg.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Well last year isn't this year. I'll admit, haven't seen much of their games this year. And sure, numbers don't always capture impact completely. With that said, numbers do mean SOMETHING. I'm pretty sure no MVP has won it with the kind of numbers Gasol is putting up. In fact, I'm pretty sure every MVP has put up at least 24+ ppg, 10+ rpg, OR 10+ apg. Marc Gasol falls considerably short of all those numbers. I really don't see how a center in general could win MVP without even averaging 10 rpg.
    Gasol is the best player in this league right now, who cares about the numbers of other players in the past.

The problem is to have an sterotype based in numbers for the MVP and then select him watching boxscores instead of actually watch the game.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

It's easier to judge by numbers, it means you don't actually have to watch the games.

Watching every game is fukn hard. There's 4 games per week per team. Watching every team is impossible. Judging by boxscores is laziness but it's more practical. If someone puts up 26 and 9 and 8, it saves you having to watch the games. When you have to watch the games.. a lot of people just don't have the time or passion for that. Too much work. Sport shouldn't be work, it should be fun. But some people just go through the motions.