Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Default Re: I have to ask....prime Kobe in this league?

Not sure, but I do know during kobe prime he was missing the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    No, he wouldn't.

They'd both roughly average the same.

Prime Kobe less than before, because 06 was an inflated guard scoring year. He probably puts up 33ppg in today's game at his absolute best.
    Peak Duncan in today's league would average more Points and Assists. Slightly less Rebounds. Probably something like 26.5/13/4.5/3 with his usual DPOY-level defense. He wouldn't be on such a dog-slow team in today's league.

But as I said, we can basically say this about any great. Kobe's game wouldn't necessarily translate better today (05-06 seasons inflated wing players' stats so he'd arguably have worse output).

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Peak Duncan in today's league would average more Points and Assists. Slightly less Rebounds. Probably something like 26.5/13/4.5/3 with his usual DPOY-level defense. He wouldn't be on such a dog-slow team in today's league.

But as I said, we can basically say this about any great. Kobe's game wouldn't necessarily translate better today (05-06 seasons inflated wing players' stats so he'd arguably have worse output).
    It's like some people think what Kobe did was something completely unusual in 06, as if a ton of players didn't see a rise in their scoring or that a 30 year old Iverson didn't average essentially the same numbers as peak Kobe.

with this same team?

prime Kobe with Smush and company was missing the playoffs, you know.

would probably be the same today.

I feel sorry for you Kobe and Duncan fans.

As a Durant fan, I'll never have to worry about him having a decline. At least not until he's past 40.

His prime will last throughout the 2020's, and I will still be posting on this message board every year proclaiming his greatness.

BTW, prime Kobe would be second to Durant. Durant is a better all around player and much more efficient. Better leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Look at what a 34-yr old/17th season Kobe did in 2013...and that version is nowhere near as good as he was in 2006-2008.

Put 2006 Kobe in a league with no hand-checking AND a huge emphasis on spacing? He would DESTROY. I'm talking something like 36/5/5/2/56%-57% TS.

He would ****ing murder.

... So basically the same thing Kobe did in 2006? In a league where there was no hand-checking either?

The defense was awful '05-'08.... Got better around '09.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    I feel sorry for you Kobe and Duncan fans.

As a Durant fan, I'll never have to worry about him having a decline. At least not until he's past 40.

His prime will last throughout the 2020's, and I will still be posting on this message board every year proclaiming his greatness.

BTW, prime Kobe would be second to Durant. Durant is a better all around player and much more efficient. Better leader.
    Durant had 3 superstars with him in 2012 and couldn't win.

The comparisons stopped after that. and he played second fiddle llast playoffs.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    ... So basically the same thing Kobe did in 2006? In a league where there was no hand-checking either?

The defense was awful '05-'08.... Got better around '09.
    I think it's really sad we never got to see Kobe at his peak on a good team. Being on a good team really helps you out in terms of efficiency.

We're seeing this with Lebron going from the Cavs to the Heat and back to the Cavs.

Pau going from the Lakers (past 2 seasons) to now the Bulls.

Deng going from the Bulls to the Cavs and now the Heat.