Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    LeBron James keep-itreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,514

    Default Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Was it because they didn't have any good center/pf to help Tim Duncan?

    They had a undersized pf dujuan blair and matt boner who only shoots 3

  2. #2
    Curry fam navy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    15,702

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    1) Getting beat by better teams
    2) Choking

  3. #3
    Good college starter COnDEMnED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,279

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Celtics, Lakers, Mavericks, Collusion.

  4. #4
    Lad
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Injuries.

    2009 and 2011 were there for the taking with a healthy Manu Ginobili. Damn.

  5. #5
    Learning to shoot layups
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Because Kawhi

  6. #6
    Lad
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,850

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    And awful luck with refs in 2008(foul on Brent Barry) and 2012.

  7. #7
    Learning to shoot layups
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Quote Originally Posted by RagaZ
    And awful luck with refs in 2008(foul on Brent Barry) and 2012.
    It wasn't foul on Brent Barry at all.

  8. #8
    Very good NBA starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,795

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    2012-2013 .. we should give the Spurs some credit in this season. They didn't win but they were damn close.

    Prior to that, there was a number of things:

    - Bruce Bowen got old(er) & Spurs traded him for an under-performing/ill-fit Richard Jefferson. RJ was horrible in playoff losses against the Suns (10 ppg @ .42%) and Grizzlies (7 ppg @ .39 FG%). Spurs started getting better the moment he left.

    - Spurs relied too heavily on Matt Bonner (67 starts in 08-09), who generally shrunk in the playoffs, and Antonio McDyess on his last legs (though to his credit he guarded Dirk excellently in 09-10 first round). The moment Spurs began starting Tiago Splitter they became even better defensively and offensively.

    - DeJuan Blair was undersized, weak on D, and got into pop's doghouse. Has the skillset of a center (solid post moves ala Luis Scola) but is too short, jump shot not really solid enough to be full time PF.

    - George Hill was awesome at times, a fan favorite, but didn't pan out and Spurs managed to upgrade, trading him for Kawhi Leonard on draft day (a player who was projected to go higher).

    - Ginobili missed the playoffs in 09 and played through a broken arm in 11 loss to the Grizzlies.

    - Adding Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, and Belinelli and bringing them off the bench made Spurs one of if not the deepest team in the league. Diaw - who won MIP on the Phoenix Suns mind you - is unique in that he can pass, shoot, defend, and play like a guard or a big. He thrives in SA's system.

    - Duncan's resurgence (should have won DPOY in 2013) made Spurs lethal again, he trimmed down his weight and never went away from his mid-range jump shot, allowing Tiago (a natural center) room to maneuver and do his thing. TD's longevity can't be overstated.

    - Spurs coaching staff reevaluated their offense as Timmy aged and begane integrating more fast breaks, uptempo style while retaining a focus on defense.

    there are other reasons and I probably forgot some but those are biggest ones to me

  9. #9
    Geaux Pelicans! jcyrus10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
    Celtics, Lakers, Mavericks, Collusion.
    Memphis too

  10. #10
    NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    LaLa Land
    Posts
    6,493

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Lakers, Mavs and Memphis.

  11. #11
    NBA Superstar Heavincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,900

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    - Kobe happened in 08

    - Simply weren't as good in 09 and 10. Their defense fell off a bit if I remember correctly. Duncan wasn't the same.

    - I remember them struggling with injuries toward the end of the 2011 season, which kind of carried over into the playoffs. Got beat by a really good Memphis team.

    - Came really close in 2012 and 13.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    9,416

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Colluding is a long process, not something that can happen spontaneously

  13. #13
    NBA lottery pick
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,937

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Colluding is a long process, not something that can happen spontaneously

  14. #14
    Local High School Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,183

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    choking. and stacked healthy thunder. could have had three in a row now if those werent the case. werent good enough before those with RJ and hill getting so many mins.

  15. #15
    College star Collie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,971

    Default Re: Why were the Spurs unable to win a championship between 2008-2013?

    Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    2012-2013 .. we should give the Spurs some credit in this season. They didn't win but they were damn close.

    Prior to that, there was a number of things:

    - Bruce Bowen got old(er) & Spurs traded him for an under-performing/ill-fit Richard Jefferson. RJ was horrible in playoff losses against the Suns (10 ppg @ .42%) and Grizzlies (7 ppg @ .39 FG%). Spurs started getting better the moment he left.

    - Spurs relied too heavily on Matt Bonner (67 starts in 08-09), who generally shrunk in the playoffs, and Antonio McDyess on his last legs (though to his credit he guarded Dirk excellently in 09-10 first round). The moment Spurs began starting Tiago Splitter they became even better defensively and offensively.

    - DeJuan Blair was undersized, weak on D, and got into pop's doghouse. Has the skillset of a center (solid post moves ala Luis Scola) but is too short, jump shot not really solid enough to be full time PF.

    - George Hill was awesome at times, a fan favorite, but didn't pan out and Spurs managed to upgrade, trading him for Kawhi Leonard on draft day (a player who was projected to go higher).

    - Ginobili missed the playoffs in 09 and played through a broken arm in 11 loss to the Grizzlies.

    - Adding Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, and Belinelli and bringing them off the bench made Spurs one of if not the deepest team in the league. Diaw - who won MIP on the Phoenix Suns mind you - is unique in that he can pass, shoot, defend, and play like a guard or a big. He thrives in SA's system.

    - Duncan's resurgence (should have won DPOY in 2013) made Spurs lethal again, he trimmed down his weight and never went away from his mid-range jump shot, allowing Tiago (a natural center) room to maneuver and do his thing. TD's longevity can't be overstated.

    - Spurs coaching staff reevaluated their offense as Timmy aged and begane integrating more fast breaks, uptempo style while retaining a focus on defense.

    there are other reasons and I probably forgot some but those are biggest ones to me
    Great points. Especially regarding TD becoming a defensive force again. I think somewhere around 2009-2011, he slipped a bit defensively.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •