Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Realtor Ettiquette

I recently found out my buddy bought a home. When we got to talking about it he mentioned it was my cousin who sold it to him. I figured wow, that is a great coincidence. So I asked how he got to know my cousin was a realtor and how he got his contact. He says thst my cousin contacted him out of the blue via Facebook,
    It turns out my cousin had been purging clients by going through my Facebook and using our relationship as a means to gain clients and gain their trust. Here is the catch. I had no idea nor was I ever informed he was doing this!? Not only that, I've followed up and several of my friends mentioned they have been contacted.
    So my question is, is this common realtor practice? Should I get offended? Should I asked for a finders fee since he's using my relationship as resources to make him money?
    How should I approach this?
    Last edited by hateraid; 12-24-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Default Re: Realtor Ettiquette

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I recently found out my buddy bought a home. When we got to talking about it he mentioned it was my cousin who sold it to him. I figured wow, that is a great coincident. So I asked how he got to know my cousin was a realtor and how he got his contact. He says thst my cousin contacted him out of the blue via Facebook,
    It turns out my cousin had been purging clients by going through my Facebook and using our relationship as a means to gain clients and gain their trust. Here is the catch. I had no idea nor was I ever informed he was doing this!? Not only that, I've followed up and several of my friends mentioned they have been contacted.
    So my question is, is this common realtor practice? Should I get offended? Should I asked for a finders fee since he's using my relationship as resources to make him money?
    How should I approach this?
    I'm not really sure you should get offended but i'm not a lawyer nor anywhere close to an expert on the subject. If you are concerned about what fiduciary obligations he may be entitled to give to you you could consult with a lawyer that specializes in realty/business law?

What it really sounds like is that he has good networking skills and is simply using his relationship with you as a gateway to new clients, a practice which may or may not be common in your domain of practice. I don't know the character of your cousin however so I assume the best advice is to confront him about it in a polite way so as to understand his true intentions.

There is also the question and concept of "professional courtesy" and if and how that would apply to your situation. I know that every job I've had I've gained through either family or friendship relations so that is an issue that arises as well, as to where the line is drawn between simply networking or manipulating/dishonestly gaining clients by misleading statements.

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense
    I'm not really sure you should get offended but i'm not a lawyer nor anywhere close to an expert on the subject. If you are concerned about what fiduciary obligations he may be entitled to give to you you could consult with a lawyer that specializes in realty/business law?

What it really sounds like is that he has no manners and is simply using his relationship with you as a gateway to new clients, a practice which may or may not be common in your domain of practice. I don't know the character of your cousin however so I assume the best advice is to confront him about it in a polite way so as to understand his true intentions.

There is also the question and concept of "professional courtesy" and if and how that would apply to your situation. I know that every job I've had I've gained through either family or friendship relations so that is an issue that arises as well, as to where the line is drawn between simply networking or manipulating/dishonestly gaining clients by misleading statements.
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by triangleoffense

What it really sounds like is that he has good networking skills and is simply using his relationship with you as a gateway to new clients, a practice which may or may not be common in your domain of practice. I don't know the character of your cousin however so I assume the best advice is to confront him about it in a polite way so as to understand his true intentions.

Im not looking for any legal action nor do I feel I'm entitled to get paid. I just felt that I could have been consulted that he was doing this. I would more than willing to do referrals for free.

Banned

Im not looking for any legal action nor do I feel I'm entitled to get paid. I just felt that I could have been consulted that he was doing this. I would more than willing to do referrals for free.
    You did ask whether you should get a referral's fee.

Yes, it is common practice for realtors to do this. This is no different than sending flyers out. In this instance there is a face to a name since it's from Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    You did ask whether you should get a referral's fee.

Yes, it is common practice for realtors to do this. This is no different than sending flyers out. In this instance there is a face to a name since it's from Facebook.
    My mom actually suggested it since my cousin was making money off my name.
    Personally id do it for free.
    As for using my name to gain trust, that is where I have an issue. The guy who actually bought the house was known to not be a very financially sound guy. I felt using my name manipulated the situation.
    I admit it is fairly savy and opportunistic

All realtors are snakes when it comes to their jobs.

I wouldn't be cool with this. If you think this kind of thing is fine, you should also be fine with friends of your friends creeping on your facebook and messaging you about buying Cutco knives or becoming a Jehovah's Witness. It's annoying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

I wouldn't be cool with this. If you think this kind of thing is fine, you should also be fine with friends of your friends creeping on your facebook and messaging you about buying Cutco knives or becoming a Jehovah's Witness. It's annoying.
    Nothing alike. You act like its easy to hustle people into buying a house. Nobody gets conned into buying a home compared to what you mentioned above.

What you described in OP is entirely the premise of social networking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    What you described in OP is entirely the premise of social networking.
    Yea, OP's cousin basically used the networking part of social networking. I have to applaud him for doing so.

NBA All-star

there may be a difference between utilizing demographic, then possible manufactured/artificial. Trust.

Very good NBA starter

i'm actually impressed he was able to make bread like this. you didn't get a cut so of course you feeling kinda mad. but that's his game, and he went out of his way to get shit done. if he's your cousin, you should be proud of his ass. he's family, right?

I hear you, i would prob feel the same way and would at least expect a new christmas present from him this year

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

I'd probably say that they are snakes against their competition if anything else.

as for friends of your friends creeping up on you?

are you possibility talking about utilizing the *dick* card

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    I'd probably say that they are snakes against their competition if anything else.

as for friends of your friends creeping up on you?

are you possibility talking about utilizing the *dick* card
    Moreso if you're gonna sell stuff to my friends and using my name, I think it's common courtesy to let me know about. It was all done behind my back