Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: Craig Sager Leukemia Documentary on TNT right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    hmm.. my Dad works on AML, and they've just started trials on a new drug treatment down in Miami that has so far had quite remarkable success in treating AML. About a year ago now, they gave the treatment to a guy pretty much on his deathbed, and i believe he's still alive, able to go and play Golf and stuff, his cancer in recession, blast count way, way down et cetera.

Looks promising, and this would be last resort. Sager should be ok.
    Wow nice, what was the drug? Tyrosine kinase inhibitor? AML generally has the worst prognosis of lthe eukemias.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I walked by outside the Rose Garden after a TNT game. No one was around and he was sort of just hanging out outside the gate where the players leave in cars or team bus. I don't remember if I said something but he was so unassuming.

How could anyone not root for this guy? I always love seeing him out there and he takes the trash talk so well. Dude is alpha as f*ck. srs.

I really hope he beats this shit ass cancer. My aunt got diagnosed with it a few weeks ago and I think she could beat it if they do surgery. Cancer is a mother f*cker. The New Yorker had an article about a cancer breakthrough that some might find interesting. The basically are able to reprogram cancer cells instead of killing off all the good cells. Science is amazing.
    You have to be careful when you make these sorts of statements. That article was about a very specific form of leukemia and it extended one patient's life by two years.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Wow nice, what was the drug? Tyrosine kinase inhibitor? AML generally has the worst prognosis of lthe eukemias.
    LSD1 inhibitor, already approved anti-depressant:

Team leader Arthur Zelent, Ph.D., and colleagues at the ICR have been working to unlock the potential of retinoids to treat other patients with AML. In a paper published in Nature Medicine today, they show that the key could be an antidepressant called tranylcypromine (TCP).

"Retinoids have already transformed one rare type of fatal leukemia into a curable disease. We've now found a way to harness these powerful drugs to treat far more common types of leukemia," senior author Dr. Zelent, from the ICR, said. "Until now, it's been a mystery why the other forms of AML don't respond to this drug. Our study revealed that there was a molecular block that could be reversed with a second drug that is already commonly used as an antidepressant. We think this is a very promising strategy, and if these findings can be replicated in patients the potential benefits are enormous."

ATRA works by encouraging the leukemia cells to mature and die naturally. The team thinks the failure of AML to respond to this drug may be due to genes that ATRA normally targets becoming switched off. In their search for a drug that could be used to reboot the activity of ATRA, the team looked to an emerging area of research called epigenetics. Epigenetic drugs do not target genes directly but instead target whether genes are switched on or off. They discovered that inhibiting an enzyme called LSD1, using TCP, could switch these genes on again and make the cancer cells susceptible to ATRA.

http://www.waxmancancer.org/News-Res...ncer-treatment

They're still in the clinical trials phase, but the results have been promising (really impressive in some cases), and if they continue to be, this will mark the first serious breakthrough in AML treatment in 30+ years. The FDA as usual is slowing the process down. This drug would largely be used to treat people who would otherwise die, and yet the FDA is worried that an already approved anti-depressant has to be shown not to encourage patients to 'suicidal thoughts' - tis lunacy. Amazing how quickly they push the real moneymakers through despite side-effects, but when it comes to cancer treatment on the nearly deceased rigour becomes so important! They already give the drug to healthy people, but for some reason extra tests are needed before giving it to the dying .

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom

Hope he beats the disease
    Wait...that wasn't a wig

I haven't seen the documentary, but damn, I hope he beats this.

BTW, I love Pop.

I still remember the halftime interview he did with Craig's son.

A true class act.