Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Moses Malone Euro Step

ah yes, back when there was true skill exhibited on every play, whether it was a euro-step in traffic by a center, or a contested shot of the wildly diverse, mid-range variety...

this is the kind of smart offense that makes a defense give up... and a far cry from today's slower-paced, play-finishing.

actually, the more accurate name for Moses Malone's move is the "Elgin Step", named after Elgin Baylor, since he invented the move in the 60's, and it's been a commonly used move ever since.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-26-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Default Re: Moses Malone Euro Step

A) that's a travel
    B) why call it Euro Step?

Always cool to see how much the game has improved since its developmental stages in the 80s. Seeing that gif in the OP, and knowing we have 20 year olds in the league right now doing that shit from the 3 point line like it's nothing...man. Great find 3ball.

Very good NBA starter

travel

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    A) that's a travel
    B) why call it Euro Step?
    are you sure he's dragging that pivot foot? he drops on 2 feet, then pivots.

kinda looks like that pivot foot goes off the floor instead of drags but i wouldn't argue if it got whistled

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Always cool to see how much the game has improved since its developmental stages in the 80s. Seeing that gif in the OP, and knowing we have 20 year olds in the league right now doing that shit from the 3 point line like it's nothing...man. Great find 3ball.
    all those 20 year olds are.... exactly like the recent thread where Kobe says he stole from everybody.

They all study film, they all practice moves from film, they all steal from film. That's how the game gets better. Athletes haven't improved any in athletic ability; but they constantly get more skilled.

op is flat saying Moses stole this from Elgin.... my only beef with the thread is i severely doubt Elgin invented that move.
    It was probably invented by some Globetrotter in the 1940s. Or by John Wooden the All-America player in the 1930s.

One of the underrated players all time. Below we can see how he took over in the 4th quarter of Gm. 3 in the Finals, looking to go up 3-0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vHXF67ZnE&t=5m10s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-vHXF67ZnE&t=8m12s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fPa3RIKzYQ&t=25s

Thanks to Harvey Pollack's yearbooks, we have the data to estimate his offensive impact on the floor. Among MVP winners since 2001, only LeBron, Dirk, and Nash have had a higher consecutive 4 year average in Net ORtg.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=269

On/Off Net ORtg

1983: +8.2
    1984: +10.4
    1985: +18.8
    1986: +8.9

4 Year Average: +11.6

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

that's a travel lil buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

Seeing that gif in the OP, and knowing we have 20 year olds in the league right now doing that shit from the 3 point line like it's nothing.
    we've always had guys doing that move from the 3-point line.. doing it from the 3-point line is not a particularly difficult or useful skill however.

guys like giannis antempuko are overrated 12ppg/6rpg stiffs that would get destroyed by moses and will never be all-time greats...

you're overrating guys like him based on literally one move you've seen him do - 20-year old Moses Malone (the first HS to the pros player) would DESTROY stiffs like Giannis, so quit being ignorant.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-26-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Now that one is actually legit.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    we've always had guys doing that move from the 3-point line.. doing it from the 3-point line is not a particularly difficult or useful skill however.

guys like giannis antempuko are overrated 12ppg/6rpg stiffs that would get destroyed by moses and will never be all-time greats...

you are overrating guys like him due to literally one move you've seen him do.
    The audacity of calling Giannis a "stiff" while posting that gif lol

And that's more freethrow line than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill

The audacity of calling Giannis a "stiff" while posting that gif
    he averages 12ppg and 6 rebounds... that's a stiff... a bit-player... nothing more... a euro-step once in a while, but still a bit-player at best.

do you really think you can compare 20 year old Moses Malone (the first ever HS to pros player and an instant superstar), to a bit-player like Giannis?

I don't give a shit what he averages right now. I like his game on an aesthetic level. What one move? I like his entire game.

And how are you going to write him off the year after he was the youngest player in the league? Give it some time. I understand every player drafted after Jordan's second retirement is a "play finisher" but slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill
    I don't give a shit what he averages right now. I like his game on an aesthetic level. What one move? I like his entire game.

And how are you going to write him off the year after he was the youngest player in the league? Give it some time. I understand every player drafted after Jordan's second retirement is a "play finisher" but slow down.
    if you appreciate superior skill, moses malone's game was prettier from an aesthetic standpoint, but you must be an experienced viewer to be aware of the higher skill level to begin with.

for example, giannis can't do the move in the OP - euro step in traffic and a magic johnson-type pass for the assist.

i guess that's why Moses is a HOF and Giannis never will come remotely close.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-26-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Do you understand what the word "subjective" means? Have you even seen a full game from Giannis?