Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i just got hella humbled by some dude

Default i just got hella humbled by some dude

i don't think i'm hot sh1t or anything, but i didn't know how far behind i was in relation to how other companies operate.

got my own business going, but i've had trouble winning jobs i've bid. so i contacted this guy up who i've seen on a forum for our industry. guy has built several million dollar companies in the states. he asked what job i was bidding currently and i told him which one, he was like yeah our company is bidding that one too, but i'll do you a solid and give you the winning numbers. so he did, i broke everything down still, just to make sure i would be profitable and they were good number. numbers checked out.

so he's like, send me the bid you plan on sending so i can review it. i send him the form which was a template i got from online, looks like most invoices you'd get. 30 mins he calls me and he's like "i'm going to be honest, this document is horrible. it screams amateur. you need x and xy, etc." basically a bunch of details stuffed in one or two pages. legal disclaimers. all types of exclusions. diagrams of the work. etc. he basically talked to me for 40 minutes straight on how to improve. halfway through i was like damn i suck.

anyways, i spent the last 6 hours starting from scrap making an excel worksheet. he sent me his bid document which was like 100x better than mines. it was in pdf format and told me to copy whatever i want. but i didn't want to copy it entirely so i just made my own. 6 hours straight, finally finished. looks decent but the bid deadline is tomorrow morning so that's all i could do for the moment. i'll make it better.

the grind never stops

Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

TL;DR

What the **** is up with you saying hella nonstop? Did u move to SacTown?

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    TL;DR

What the **** is up with you saying hella nonstop? Did u move to SacTown?
    still in phoenix

hella hot in here

You quit oil and gas dude?

Done many tenders, proposals and business cases in my time. Happy to be in a position currently where I can focus on operations and technical stuff.

Good to have that experience but I want to get in a position where I can largely pawn that stuff off.

What industry?

Kinda weird this guy is being so helpful. He could easily shit on you if he wants.

DEATH TO COMMIES!!! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Bet he was a White guy.

hella cray

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    i don't think i'm hot sh1t or anything, but i didn't know how far behind i was in relation to how other companies operate.

got my own business going, but i've had trouble winning jobs i've bid. so i contacted this guy up who i've seen on a forum for our industry. guy has built several million dollar companies in the states. he asked what job i was bidding currently and i told him which one, he was like yeah our company is bidding that one too, but i'll do you a solid and give you the winning numbers. so he did, i broke everything down still, just to make sure i would be profitable and they were good number. numbers checked out.

so he's like, send me the bid you plan on sending so i can review it. i send him the form which was a template i got from online, looks like most invoices you'd get. 30 mins he calls me and he's like "i'm going to be honest, this document is horrible. it screams amateur. you need x and xy, etc." basically a bunch of details stuffed in one or two pages. legal disclaimers. all types of exclusions. diagrams of the work. etc. he basically talked to me for 40 minutes straight on how to improve. halfway through i was like damn i suck.

anyways, i spent the last 6 hours starting from scrap making an excel worksheet. he sent me his bid document which was like 100x better than mines. it was in pdf format and told me to copy whatever i want. but i didn't want to copy it entirely so i just made my own. 6 hours straight, finally finished. looks decent but the bid deadline is tomorrow morning so that's all i could do for the moment. i'll make it better.

the grind never stops
    It's always good to have someone mentor you when it's needed. Props to that gentleman for seeing the need and helping you out. Make sure to do the same and help others who are on their grind and in need of the same help down the line.

what a generous guy.

I hope the grammar in your proposal is better than the OP

Not sure what line of work you are in...but are you basically the middle man, a contractor of sorts? Or if you win the bid for whatever it is you're bidding on, will you then have to do the work yourself?

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

OP doesn't have a job.

And he's 99% bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    OP doesn't have a job.

And he's 99% bullshit.
    It's not hard to get a job dude. Just finish any ol IT degree/Business degree and you'll be making $50k+ within a few months.

What a boss you are. Spent 6 straight hours working on a bidding document only to still come on ISH to seek your weekly validation for something you're doing in life. See you the same time next week in a thread you make about having sex with some girl?

Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    What a boss you are. Spent 6 straight hours working on a bidding document only to still come on ISH to seek your weekly validation for something you're doing in life. See you the same time next week in a thread you make about having sex with some girl?

Boss.