Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58

Thread: i just got hella humbled by some dude

  1. #1
    Valley Boyz highwhey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,852

    Default i just got hella humbled by some dude

    i don't think i'm hot sh1t or anything, but i didn't know how far behind i was in relation to how other companies operate.

    got my own business going, but i've had trouble winning jobs i've bid. so i contacted this guy up who i've seen on a forum for our industry. guy has built several million dollar companies in the states. he asked what job i was bidding currently and i told him which one, he was like yeah our company is bidding that one too, but i'll do you a solid and give you the winning numbers. so he did, i broke everything down still, just to make sure i would be profitable and they were good number. numbers checked out.

    so he's like, send me the bid you plan on sending so i can review it. i send him the form which was a template i got from online, looks like most invoices you'd get. 30 mins he calls me and he's like "i'm going to be honest, this document is horrible. it screams amateur. you need x and xy, etc." basically a bunch of details stuffed in one or two pages. legal disclaimers. all types of exclusions. diagrams of the work. etc. he basically talked to me for 40 minutes straight on how to improve. halfway through i was like damn i suck.

    anyways, i spent the last 6 hours starting from scrap making an excel worksheet. he sent me his bid document which was like 100x better than mines. it was in pdf format and told me to copy whatever i want. but i didn't want to copy it entirely so i just made my own. 6 hours straight, finally finished. looks decent but the bid deadline is tomorrow morning so that's all i could do for the moment. i'll make it better.

    the grind never stops

  2. #2
    King Heno qrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tucson/520!
    Posts
    25,047

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    TL;DR

    What the **** is up with you saying hella nonstop? Did u move to SacTown?

  3. #3
    Valley Boyz highwhey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,852

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    TL;DR

    What the **** is up with you saying hella nonstop? Did u move to SacTown?
    still in phoenix

    hella hot in here

  4. #4
    Repeal FATCA Hawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,094

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    You quit oil and gas dude?

    Done many tenders, proposals and business cases in my time. Happy to be in a position currently where I can focus on operations and technical stuff.

    Good to have that experience but I want to get in a position where I can largely pawn that stuff off.

  5. #5
    NBA Legend RoseCity07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    19,400

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    What industry?

    Kinda weird this guy is being so helpful. He could easily shit on you if he wants.

  6. #6
    DEATH TO COMMIES!!! Patrick Chewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    24,166

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Bet he was a White guy.

  7. #7
    Landslide honors LAmbruh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Consensus
    Posts
    11,334

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    hella cray

  8. #8
    Stylin' on you MaxFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    10,601

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    i don't think i'm hot sh1t or anything, but i didn't know how far behind i was in relation to how other companies operate.

    got my own business going, but i've had trouble winning jobs i've bid. so i contacted this guy up who i've seen on a forum for our industry. guy has built several million dollar companies in the states. he asked what job i was bidding currently and i told him which one, he was like yeah our company is bidding that one too, but i'll do you a solid and give you the winning numbers. so he did, i broke everything down still, just to make sure i would be profitable and they were good number. numbers checked out.

    so he's like, send me the bid you plan on sending so i can review it. i send him the form which was a template i got from online, looks like most invoices you'd get. 30 mins he calls me and he's like "i'm going to be honest, this document is horrible. it screams amateur. you need x and xy, etc." basically a bunch of details stuffed in one or two pages. legal disclaimers. all types of exclusions. diagrams of the work. etc. he basically talked to me for 40 minutes straight on how to improve. halfway through i was like damn i suck.

    anyways, i spent the last 6 hours starting from scrap making an excel worksheet. he sent me his bid document which was like 100x better than mines. it was in pdf format and told me to copy whatever i want. but i didn't want to copy it entirely so i just made my own. 6 hours straight, finally finished. looks decent but the bid deadline is tomorrow morning so that's all i could do for the moment. i'll make it better.

    the grind never stops
    It's always good to have someone mentor you when it's needed. Props to that gentleman for seeing the need and helping you out. Make sure to do the same and help others who are on their grind and in need of the same help down the line.

  9. #9
    #Trump4Treason nathanjizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    15,051

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    what a generous guy.

  10. #10
    Alpha Tarheel rufuspaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    23,821

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    I hope the grammar in your proposal is better than the OP

  11. #11
    Bernie 2020 Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    I want my CHIPS with the DIP
    Posts
    12,490

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Not sure what line of work you are in...but are you basically the middle man, a contractor of sorts? Or if you win the bid for whatever it is you're bidding on, will you then have to do the work yourself?

  12. #12
    Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Gainesville, FL.
    Posts
    28,515

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    OP doesn't have a job.

    And he's 99% bullshit.

  13. #13
    Bernie 2020 Bosnian Sajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    I want my CHIPS with the DIP
    Posts
    12,490

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    OP doesn't have a job.

    And he's 99% bullshit.
    It's not hard to get a job dude. Just finish any ol IT degree/Business degree and you'll be making $50k+ within a few months.

  14. #14
    Cavaliers Fan Meticode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    35,970

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    What a boss you are. Spent 6 straight hours working on a bidding document only to still come on ISH to seek your weekly validation for something you're doing in life. See you the same time next week in a thread you make about having sex with some girl?

    Boss.

  15. #15
    Valley Boyz highwhey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,852

    Default Re: i just got hella humbled by some dude

    Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    What a boss you are. Spent 6 straight hours working on a bidding document only to still come on ISH to seek your weekly validation for something you're doing in life. See you the same time next week in a thread you make about having sex with some girl?

    Boss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •