Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Default Re: Pistons undefeated since Josh Smith left

I want this to be a trend where teams just release well known players in hopes of addition by subtraction.

Quote Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
    In your opinion He could be overrated, overpaid or in bad shape but there are lots of scrubs and players much worse than him. It's not even debatable.
    Let me rephrase: One of the worst rotation players.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Let me rephrase: One of the worst rotation players.
    Totally different statement. Neither is true in my opinion

But maybe you have a point.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
    Totally different statement. Neither is true in my opinion

But maybe you have a point.
    In terms of players given the amount of offensive looks he had (or the amount he opted to take), I struggle to think of someone who performed worse recently in that regard (as mentioned, his TS% was on pace to be the worst in NBA history for someone with 14 field goal attempts per game or more). Again, this is a feller who had taken 68 more shots than anyone else on his team, yet he was pulling a 38%, 24%, 48% combo.

Imagine if an NBA team had told 2005 Ben Wallace that they wanted him to come in and take more shots than anyone else on the squad. Was Josh Smith's performance this year as bad as Ben's would have been in '05 if he were given the same amount of shots? No. But the fact their numbers are even ballpark similar is disturbing.

Ben in '05:

FG: .453%

3pt: .111% (1/9)

FT: .428%

The biggest difference (aside from Wallace being smart enough to virtually never attempt three pointers) is that Smith wouldn't stop believing he should be taking all the shots he was.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-05-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    In terms of players given the amount of offensive looks he had (or the amount he opted to take), I struggle to think of someone who performed worse recently in that regard (as mentioned, his TS% was on pace to be the worst in NBA history for someone with 14 field goal attempts per game or more). Again, this is a feller to had taken 68 more shots than anyone else on his team, yet he was pulling a 38%, 24%, 48% combo.

Imagine if an NBA team had told 2005 Ben Wallace that they wanted him to come in and take more shots than anyone else on the squad. Was Josh Smith's performance this year as bad as Ben's would have been in '05 if he were given the same amount of shots? No. But the fact their numbers are even ballpark similar is disturbing.

Ben in '05:

FG: .453%

3pt: .111% (1/9)

FT: .428%

The biggest difference (aside from Wallace being smart enough to virtually never attempt three pointers) is that Smith wouldn't stop believing he should be taking all the shots he was.
    Yup, this is pretty much what I was trying to say, but you articulated it better than I could have.

There are worse players than Smith, but hardly anybody has impacted their team as negatively as he has in the last 2 years.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    You're a ****ing idiot if you believe removing one player is the sole reason for a 5-0 stretch. They have added an impact shooter and have played bad and/or injured teams. That's it..
    OMG, Pistons are going to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsatyr
    I don't have much hope bc I don't like Smith but I am only going bash him when it's warranted.
    Does the bash party begin now?