Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Does it really matter if you don't put in a two weeks notice before quitting a job?

I quit 2 jobs from just no showing but i didn't need references from them.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Does it really matter if you don't put in a two weeks notice before quitting a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Just don't go, but I would call them and tell them so they can replace you.
    Yup, seems like the best choice in this instance.

I feel weird calling and quitting, but who cares. I'll probably just wait until they call and answer it and tell them I quit.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    I quit 2 jobs from just no showing but i didn't need references from them.
    Do you put those jobs on your work history on your resume?

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Yup, seems like the best choice in this instance.

I feel weird calling and quitting, but who cares. I'll probably just wait until they call and answer it and tell them I quit.
    Exactly it's your loss not theirs. Is not like they would care if something happens to you.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    I think I meet all 3 of those criteria. Number 3 I don't really know of, I mean I'll put the job on my work history in the future but won't ever use anyone from there as a reference.

Only thing I'm worrying about now is if my job can somehow screw me and mark down my leaving as a firing and that somehow shows up when other employers look up my work history for a background check... Although I think all they see on the background check is when I started at that job and left it...
    That won't happen. If you have no need for a reference, then there's really no need to take the consideration of your current employers into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Time
    considering you're likely to stay in these shitty ass $10 an hour jobs for the rest of your life, I would recommend sticking it out the 2 weeks, all the fast food and retail places you're going to work at until you blow your brains out when you're 30 ARE likely to call your references and dipping out early isn't a good look. congratulations on continuing to aim extremely low, the world could use more whiny, bitch made slackers on a one way track to nowhere.

I usually hit open layups

if you dont give them proper notice, they can sue you, most likely though, they wont waste their time and money. so just dont show up, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Goon Time
    considering you're likely to stay in these shitty ass $10 an hour jobs for the rest of your life, I would recommend sticking it out the 2 weeks, all the fast food and retail places you're going to work at until you blow your brains out when you're 30 ARE likely to call your references and dipping out early isn't a good look. congratulations on continuing to aim extremely low, the world could use more whiny, bitch made slackers on a one way track to nowhere.
    So ruthless im crying right now

Local High School Star

Interesting topic for me since I'm currently on the fence whether to quit my current job.

If you're not gonna give the 2 weeks make sure you have a reference tied up who won't give a bitter review of you.

A large part of me has always wanted to do a kevin spacey in American beauty/ ed Norton in fight club type of quit, all I need is some major leverage

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

If you bail prior to your two weeks being up, your employer can't file it as a "firing" (aka involuntary term). However, they can file it as job abandonment instead of mere quitting (aka voluntary term). This will likely downgrade you from "quit but re-hirable" to "quit and not re-hirable."

Most HR departments will not allow managers to say much if a former employee's new job comes calling for a recommendation, since they are afraid of being sued for defamation and/or prevention of attaining employment at a perceived competitor without a non-compete (if, say, you are continuing to work retail). All they can usually say is whether or not you are re-hirable, without being able to say why you are not if you are not. Conditions of your separation are usually non-disclosable. This can definitely screw you.

NBA rookie of the year

Its a nice courtesy. If you want to use that employer as a reference it is a smart thing to do

Serious playground baller

Well as a manager of a quick, casual restaurant, I definitely call refernces and if you didn't complete your notice or burned bridges, I'm probably not hiring you. And when a different job calls me about a past employee, I am honest and tell them what happened. But you've obviously made up your mind already, you just want attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ncrazyballa
    if you dont give them proper notice, they can sue you, most likely though, they wont waste their time and money. so just dont show up, congrats
    No, no they cannot.

If an employer could sue someone for quitting without giving proper notice, there would be a new lawsuit every second of the day.

It's idiotic to quit without putting in the two week notice, but I understand the feeling. If you finish it out, it is a positive mark on a resume/application, because they can call them for a reference and get a positive one.

In the end, it's your life, so do what you want. You're not really going to listen to anything anyone tells you on here, so why even ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    I've left employers i don't like without telling them and then ignoring their calls before, but the only reason to do this is if you:

1. Want to leave straight away.
    2. Don't like and don't give a shit about your employer.
    3. Have no need for a reference from said employer.
    This. If it's going to burn you later on, don't. If it's not going to and you really don't want to stay for some reason, don't.

I'm starting a new job Tuesday, the current one was temporary and i gave them 5 days notice. Essentially they wouldn't promise me more than a week, so i gave them a week. D epends on situation.

Never burn bridges. Stop being a lazy a*s and duke out the last 2 weeks. Most jobs will require you to list your past 3 jobs and if you lie on your application, it will seem suspicious you were not employed for a certain length of time. Some jobs will even look at when you file your taxes to figure out where and when you were employed.

A reference can make or break you; I think I lost out on a really good career one time because I walked out on one of the jobs I listed (it was required I listed 3 previous jobs), and they called my old boss who straight up said I have no work ethic since I couldn't tough it out for 2 more weeks.

A $60,000 career went down the drain because I was too much of an idiot to not work an extra 2 weeks.